what are your thoughts on maat digital plugins ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Plainview, Apr 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. substorm

substorm Member

Time after time it's been proven that paying more doesn't always equal better quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Speaking of commitment, what one should do is install an OS [whatever your preference], stuff it with all kinds of goods or trash plugins, test how they work, make some test projects, decide which ones are worth using, and install those in your working audio OS. Having loads of plugins wastes your time and energy, distracts you from the real goal - making music.

I personally haven't even tried MAAT ones when I saw the CPU usage and latencies that someone posted. Also, most of their code is a remake of Algorithmics ones, if I'm not mistaken. Highly praised mostly for their price tag, and being actively promoted by people like Bob Katz, especially on Gearslutz. Whatever I read there, I take with a good grain of salt. :wink:

Lately I gave up completely on: Waves, IK Multimedia, Arturia, and almost all Native Instruments plugins, except for Kontakt. The bigger they get, the shittier they get. Kinda like Microsoft, Apple, Sony, JP Morgan, Virgin, Warner Bros, Disney etc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Rorer

Rorer Guest

Verry clean @ 96kHz
    I like the tools, maby i'll buy them next month.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Really? But they have been the mainstay of the last 20+ years, and every commercial studio, and the big name studios, have them.
    They are the one company I have always stuck with.

Yes, I have noticed you use that rating out of context a lot. Which is your attempt at using it negatively & disrespectfully, as you mention.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Herr Tony

Herr Tony Producer

So far, I think they are really good, in the case of Orange, is the one I can trust for mastering, the DC is super long but you can work with it. If you are looking for mixing, I would consider theQ Blue, it is not linear phase but the eq boosts,sound very natural and what you are doing visually correlates with what you are listening. For both, the internal spectrum analyzer is excellent addition to find problems and the DIFF(sides) is great to reveal and accentuate width. The piano roll is a good addition to assist you into finding the key for drums. And for more advanced people using instruments with a different tuning(say 432); you can adjust the piano roll to 432 hz and fmode semi to lock the eq bells on the exact frequencies relative to that tuning.

With that being said, to make a better opinion, I still need more time to get a proper feel of the Orange sound vs other eqs.
    Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Rorer

Rorer Guest

You will never be someone.

7. Smoove Grooves

That's why I've worked in most major studios over the last 30 years! :hahaha:

8. Rorer

Rorer Guest

Listen... I know your Pschichopaty. Please read your favorit book again with Carl Jung.
    And i call your BLUFF

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Smoove Grooves

Listen. You know nothing. Where is all this sudden negativity towards me coming from?

10. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Well I still installed Waves as a big toolbox and IKM I have MODO Bass.
    I even HAVE SampleTank 4 (and ST3 & all the rest) installed but have yet to use it due to other things going on.
    It has a large library of sounds if no special features, but FUCK ME the GUI SUCKS STANKY ASS !! Still it is like Windows 95 days. What the fuck is wrong with these people? HORRIBLE browser and Multi GUIs.
    Arturia I only installed the FX and now I think I will uninstall. I came from the days of those synths, but as i learn to use VSTi synths more, they sadly become obsolete.
    Truth is I do not want to depend on ANY developer, but without them a computer-based studio does not exist.
    So I carefully archive full working backups of both DAW and OS. Of course if the super EMP hits, all that is beside the point and all will be acoustic again :yes:

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  11. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

cause you wrk in studios as engineer and he is using stuff as artist and freelance mix master guy

• List
  12. Smoove Grooves

Yes, good thought. Thanks. Maybe you are right. (I'm mostly session musician & writer, but yeah.)
    Though I still don't understand the negativity from the person. :dunno:
    Maybe an 'experience related to age' thing.

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I'm gonna start with something serious.
    Like I said I took the time of read Maat's website and the impression I got these plugins are for a niche market, even if we talk about professional-level producers. It's still marketing, I know. But they aren't trying to fool about that. Of course they have to live up to its high standards and I don't know if they do.
    I asked "joke or serious", so if it's not a joke should I report him or asking prices? :rofl:
    Totally owned him :lmao:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  14. omasciarotte

omasciarotte Member

Metallium is partially right in that thEQred and thEQorange, our two LP EQs, were designed for mastering. That said, SantaCruzEQ or “SCEQ” (and to a lesser extent thEQblue) work well in most any situation; tracking, mixing or mastering. We just released 2.1.18 of SCEQ with optimizations to support dozens of instances.

15. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

MAAT is not a developing, but rather a retro-oriented firm. They use ('revive') old, non efficient cores from Algorithmix (who in fact abandoned audio development a long time ago, and lives on upon its own heritage) and just and add some new controls and new skins.
    They rely on Algorithmix's old glory, but it was in a distant past, and the digital world is rapidly changing. Now I don't see any particular reason to insist on using them.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  16. omasciarotte

omasciarotte Member

sorry to be pedantic but it’s my job! :) They are superficially the same but bx_meter is an unlicensed attempt at cloning the TT DR. It doesn’t measure DR Dynamic Range accurately. Actually, even our DRMeter as well as the original TT DR Meter are designed to estimate DR, not measure it. At present, only our DROffline, DRMeter MkII and DROffline MKII can measure true, integrated DR or DRi.

As with other standards like R 128, DRi is always going to yield the same result regardless of who’s running it, which product you use or what audio you’re running it on. It’s repeatable across platforms and vendors. That same cannot be said for RMS, PLR, or SPPM as their measurement details are all either undefined or only partially defined. The same is true for DR clones.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List