What are your thoughts on Harrison Mixbus 32c?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Joe Crisp, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Joe Crisp

Joe Crisp Platinum Record

Just curious as to what kind of experiences people have had with it, versus the other "big dog" DAW's

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

I have use it occasionally. It has a wonderful analogue sound unlike other DAWs. I have successfully linked Reaper and Mixbus 32c together, editing in reaper and mixing on the Mixbus.

Mixbus feels and sounds like home to me as I have worked on many analogue mixers. It will also speed up your workflow with all Eq and Compressors readily available at all times, without opening plugins! There is a liberating feeling adjusting an eq without looking at a graph.

If the knobs are too small you can scale the mixer to make bigger. The Spill function allows you to see only the channels assigned to each bus making it easy to navigate large mixes.

I recommend it for mixing,although I have not edited on it that much. Every mix I have done with it sounds polished and has a certain "weight" to it. Please post your experience if you try it out. I'm here for basic questions if you have any.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
    • List
  4. santino

santino Noisemaker

I have produced this track entirely in Studio one, than transfer the audio files to Harrison Mixbus for mixdown including the vocals to each on their own individual channels. Each vocals were recorded separately by the artist living in different country and send over to me through wetransfer. I've manage to do a tons of corrections to get them to sound the way I wanted. Mind you, all the editing and mixing was done only in HM. Maybe a few 3rd party plugins here and there just for personal taste but nothing HM couldn't provide itself. Here after I bounced to master. Opened a new session then imported the 2 (L+R) stereo/mixed tracks. Did my final touches to give it that oomf/dimension and here is the result.............You be the judge!

• Like Like x 5
    • List
  5. Rere

Rere Member

Hi Burninstar!
    I've had almost your exact experience regarding the sound of Mixbus 32c... really, really nice and warm and much easier to obtain than with external eq's and comp's in other DAWs...
    But.. eons ago, I too tried a synch session between Reaper and Mixbus with Jack (in Windows) and although succesful, it was a real PAIN in the ass to configure, open/close sessions and prone to skips and clicks (possibly because of computer overhead from these three programs running audio at the same time).
    Would you mind to describe how did you do it, and if it really worked for you in the long term as a viable mixing setup?
    Thanks!

• List
  6. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

and also please, whether this 'linking the two - (how?)' has any advantages (or disadvantages) compared to what santino described, i.e., just transferring audio stems from Reaper to Harrison?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    • List
  7. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Hi guys, I've had a few people interested in the procedure to link Reaper and MixBus together. It has been awhile since I have done this but this is an outline of how it is done:

Use ReaRoute to send the audio into MixBus from reaper channels. Use the routeing matrix.
    Unassign these reaper channels from the reaper stereo mix bus.
    Select ReaRoute ASIO and assign ReaRoute inputs for the MixBus.
    ReaRoute the mix from MixBus back into a new reaper input channel, assigning only it to the reaper stereo mix bus.

Multi-track Audio will flow through reaper into MixBus, then in stereo back through reaper.

It does take a while to set up and is kinda advanced, but is gratifying especially with dual monitors. It should work flawlessly, way better than the Jack solution. With this set up you are using both mixers so be aware of that. Render in real time from reaper with online render selected.

be aware:
    In order to use it, you must select the ReaRoute ASIO driver in the Additional Functionality section of the Reaper installer. This option adds the ReaRoute ASIO driver to your system, and it then appears as a driver option in all your ASIO‑enabled audio applications.

Additional info:
    When you are installing Reaper click the additional features and make sure REAROUTE is selected.

Okay first you run Reaper , and use your main interface with it.

KEEP THE REAPER OPEN!!

Now run any other Daw. Now go and setup your audio device ( other Daw) and select REAROUTE as the ASIO driver

Let me know how you like this set up if you try it. I'm here for help if you need it.