What are the must have libraries to use with Kontakt?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by chrisbassoon, Oct 30, 2017.

1. chrisbassoon

chrisbassoon Newbie

Apologies if this has been asked before many times but I did do a quick search before posting and did not find a hit), but I have recently started playing with Kontakt and would like to know what are the essential libraries that the good people here like to use that work specifically with this sampler. Just to put this into context, I am not really into weird noises, dance music, techno variants etc. The sounds I like are really traditional band instruments, classical / orchestral types and also ethnic sounding stuff. Thanks

3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

no prob, this is a never ending question, specially when trying out for the first time.

i would say ANY library with the instruments you need now would do it. dont grab stuff just because you heard its "good" if you dont know you will really need it.

for a while i went at the biggest and "finest" thinking that would make any difference. it doesn't. they end taking a lot of space are slow to start and demanding on the hardware and many times end up never never getting used.

but the light ones, the ones with a nice gui are the ones that get used all of the time.
    the problem is that by the time you realize which is which you already have projects that include those huge libraries you dont end using regularly but you cant get rid of them easily them without getting nasty surprises in older projects.

so be picky and dont go after the hype, unconsciously at least. if you choose a monster library with lots to offer then for gods sake dont go installing OTHER (libraries or vsts) that do the same or similar thing.

----

edit: i agree with the tip further down. always go stock if possible. master that first, then after a couple of years you will know if you really need anything else, by then you will be able to "specialize". to go the other way around is a waste of time but very common.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Sindroid811

Sindroid811 Member

If you do composing, A decent Orchestra Library is a must. Using Spitfire for multi and Chris Hein for solo.

5. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Start with facotry library. The most essential one with lots of different instruments

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. seph

seph Ultrasonic

IMHO Factory + check those developers, you can't usually go wrong with their stuff

Embertone
    Orchestral Tools
    Spitfire Audio
    Impact Soundworks
    Orange Tree Samples
    ProjectSAM
    SonicCouture
    Best Service
    Cinesamples
    Fable Sound
    Ilya Efimov

7. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

I think this is more personal. I think this is really different for everyone. There could be so many reasons for if you like or do not like a library.

I think that the most popular or the most used orchestral libraries are coming from Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Cinematic Strings, Cinesamples, East West and the Symphony series from NI.

Other options could be for example Project Sam, Vienna Symphonic, IK Multimedia, Sonokinetic or maybe 8Dio?

About ethnic sounding stuff I immediately start thinking about Quantum Leap Silk from East West.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

I remember there's a nice Broadway Big Band library around (can't remember the company). I downloaded it and tested it. Over 90 GB, though, but it must be great for big stage showtunes... Every preset has different mic positions so as to bring it to the foreground o stay in the back. It looked pretty versatile.

9. chrisbassoon

chrisbassoon Newbie

Thank-you for reminding me on this. I have heard this is exceptional. The thing is all the copies of Kontakt I have installed do not have it. I did download a compressed file with this but it was corrupted and useable. Can you advise on how to get hold of it? :shalom:

10. chrisbassoon

chrisbassoon Newbie

Several people have suggested major producers of samples. This is appreciated, but it would be great if this could be refined to individual libraries as I'm sure even the best drop the ball some of the time. I dont want a massive collection, just the really good ones - although I concede that this is at least 40% down to personal taste

11. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Wavesfactory Ukulele Strum 2.0

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  12. seph

seph Ultrasonic

Ok, then name which instruments you want. Do you want them separately or "all in one", like many ethnic instruments in one library? Do you need ethnic percussion?
    If you want all in one, then check Evolution Series World Percussion and Ethno World 6. For band all in one check Broadway Big Band.

There are also very good specific libraries like Ventus Ethnic Winds (Bansuri, Pan Flutes, Shakuhachi, Tin Whistle) but these are just 4 kinds of woodwinds! And there are so many ethnic instruments from all over the world that it's hard to remember them all. So I would appreciate if you be more specific here.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  13. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

14. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

There is no such thing as "really good ones". These libraries can do their job and most of them are recorded in different halls and offer different techniques. Also, there is are no flawless libraries -scripting, tuning (samples have to pitched individually after recording to be in-tune with the standard 12et or we will hear phasing played along synths or pianos) etc.

Only you know what you need for yourself.

15. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

I sent you the links

16. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

The Hammersmith is a must have... the Fazioli is also an interesting one...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. chrisbassoon

chrisbassoon Newbie

I don't really have much in the way of preconceptions, but I do like sounds that maybe add a genuine atmosphere. By the same token though, I am not really into just collections of weird noises for computer based music (yes I know this is all computer music, but I mean the ones that actively seek to not sound organic). I already have Ethno World 5 so thanks for the suggestion - dont think I have seen 6. Is it very different?

I am open either way really in terms of single instrument or multi instrument libraries. I wonder which do people find they use more of in this group?

18. chrisbassoon

chrisbassoon Newbie

Fabulous, that is great.

I downloaded the uncompressed Komplete libraries some time ago, you would not happen to know if I can upgrade the Kontakt 4 library using that? I suspect not...

19. chrisbassoon

chrisbassoon Newbie

Yes, if it was smaller I'd go for it. It is super interesting but I'd doubt I'd use it much, but is a great idea idea nonetheless.

20. Philby

Philby Member

great small library: Orchestral Tools Inspire.

21. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Realise that VSTs including Kontakt are instruments. If you ask in a guitar shop what are the best guitars to have, they will have to know what kind of music are you making. Go from there. If you're making Rock, search for Kontakt Rock and guitars. If you need drums, search for Kontakt drums. It's simpler than you thought. I think you will only come across must-haves when your inquiry is music genre-sepcific.