What are the most weird/strange/unique sounds that you ever listened?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by GabsIT, Jun 12, 2021.

1. daddyjeff

daddyjeff Member

pulsar

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. daddyjeff

daddyjeff Member

3. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Platinum Record

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. dondada

dondada Rock Star

5. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Indeed pretty interesting, I found a videos about spherical harmonics, but it is way to much, it's related to harmonics and quantum physics, also I still don't understanding, the thing is with higher dimensions oscillations are increased, that is exactly the point of adding more dimensions to the calculations, objects can oscillate in multiple ways, hyper-spheres can rotate in 2 completely independent ways and many other weird things, but I can't imagine yet how this could affect music.

This is the best intro or explanation to 4 spatial dimensions, Carl Sagan - Cosmos

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  6. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Amazing, it seems that the sound if not produced by the tesla coil it's still modulated by the arcs

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The Strange Hums Heard Around The World | Sound Mysteries

• List
  8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i slammed glass container once and recorded it with my field recorder. loaded into Kontakt and found some wonderful harmonics in it, when playing with it. lots of reverb.

field recording things and dumping it into kontakt can really give u some of the weirdest sounds, also inspirational at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I was on Maui for a time during winters and became a fairly strong swimmer, playing every day in the ocean and dealing with the strong currents while trying not to get smashed by the 8-10 foot waves crashing as they broke onto shore (tearing away every bikini top from naive tourist babes which was always fun to watch) which are typical at the beach at Ho'okipa where I spent several hours every day.

One afternoon my girlfriend needed to do some business at one of the galleries that was showing her work on western Maui and so I decided to go with her, dropping her off and then heading up north of Lahaina to swim. It was a georgous day and when I got to my spot I noticed a pod of humpback whales only about a half of a mile off of the shoreline in the channel between Maui and Molaka'i. I thought that it would be doable to swim out and get close to them, something that I thought would be very cool to do. The ocean that day was extremely calm and as I swam further from shore was able to see the bottom clearly at least down to about 35 feet and even saw a sea turtle skimming the sand down there. When I got about 100 or so yards from the pod the most amazing thing happened. One of the whales let out a super low vocal sound that literally rattled my entire skeleton. My entire body was buzzing and it was amazing. When the sound stopped it was as if I was in a trance, totally chill and mindless...until from out of nowhere something rammed me on the right side of my body and scarred the living shit out of me. It felt as if my heart had stopped from the fear. I whipped my head around and saw a dorsal fin a few feet away from me and was now petrified that a shark either had just bit me or was setting me up to do so. It circled around in back of me and I turned in the water trying to face it and to defend myself against the attack that I was sure was coming within seconds. That's when the head of the fucking dolphin popped out of the water and looked me in the eyes. A few moments later one of the whales gave birth and I saw the pup take its first breath. What I then realized was that the dolphin was warning me off to stay away from the mother in labor.

By then I was very cold and very, very tired from both the swim and the extreme fright from when that dolphin freaked me out and I thought that I was going to die and be shark food. My arms and legs were getting numb and felt like lead. I reached out to the dolphin hoping that like in some movie that it would help me back to shore, but it just swam away and left me alone out there. I rolled onto my back and rested a couple of minutes but knew that if I didn't start back that I never would make it. It took me about a half hour to get to the tidal zone and I had a really hard time to get out. I finally managed to but cut my ankle on some red coral as I was dragged around which really hurt and which later needed antibiotics.

But oh, that crazy whale sound!

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  10. SpyFx ✪ ✓

SpyFx ✪ ✓ Audiosexual

^ SpyFx highly recommends you watch :bow::bow::bow: :

SpyFx recommends you play (just kidding man:rofl:, much love :bow:) :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ^ Nice ! :wink::bow:,check out & use/import your recordings in Arturia Pigments for things like these also ^,I fucking love it !
    & btw :bow: :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @GabsIT nice & interesting thread :) :wink: :bow:,I'm amazed no one mentioned Diego Stocco :bow: :

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

my ex saying 'your right'
    im kidding, she never said that

12. kh_minusone

kh_minusone Guest

black-gardner-bender-electrical-tubing-flx-5007t-64_1000.jpg
    Flexible tubes. My dad had a bunch of these in his bike workshop and I loved blowing into them as a kid. The sound itself might not have been that unusual, but rather how it was produced. Think of a sine wave (maybe triangle wave) mixed with some white noise. Different harmonics would resonate as I bent, straightened, etc. the tubes.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

When I was in the space station I listened the most amazing sound of a gong of the size of Paranal, then when I was going to talk to my wife an her gf a dolphin in labor popped up and said; wake up dude. :hahaha:

Joking, nice story, really the sound of a gong 3 meters tall freak me out, it traspassed everything no wall could stop the vibrations, and more than listen you could feel it resonating in the windows and inside your own body, can be pretty odd if catch you stressed

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Dentist - Sound Effects

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  15. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Pretty cool stuff also I will go for the tutorials later, some of the videos reminded me of the making off of Boom libraries special fx, specially this one, it's amazing the amount of work to get the most real or natural kind of sound, I am a bit poor right now but when I can I should buy all their libraries, such an amazing work and dedication, actually I would love to play with sounds at those levels.

MAGIC - ARCANE FORCES | Behind The Scenes

Cool microphone

16. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Are you joking? to me those are the most painful sounds ever, I just protected my mouth with my hand and stopped the video lol, I wash my teeth 3 to 5 times per day, I learned the lesson early, I will never comeback to that medieval torment.

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello GabsT, when I asked about the most unpleasant noises, the dentist buzzed around with his drill in my head. I know that the thought of a dentist and their noises while drilling is quite uncomfortable. Sorry ..!

After everything was done to samples and contact libraries to earn some money. I still missed the sound of the drill and the sound of the toilet flushing. Surfed quickly, a resourceful sound hobbyist was at work and you can get the sounds for 20 dollars. In the end, if nothing can be sold, you will come across your thread here in the forum, and then turn the most unpleasant noises into money.

18. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Cool I also love some of those sounds, what I found super interesting are bowls metal or glass with water.

This video is pretty new and quite extreme in playing instruments underwater

Trilok Gurtu was the first to play with some of these water instruments, or first that I know, great ideas while not much musicality in this impro, Trilok Gurtu is an amazing percussionist, don't get biased by this rather rare video.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

No problem Beat16, joking, while my reaction was real and surprised me, I will listen later but I need to be ready mentally talking, still are pretty unpleasant but with a bit of work probably useful to create some new sounds

• List
  20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Japan Earthquake 2011: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 30-Foot Tsunami Triggered !
    Soundcollage about the " Earthquake in Japan with Tsunami and Nuclear Reactor Incident (12 APRIL 2011)

This event was so intense that I made a sound collage about it.

Recordet in Cakewalk - Sonar VS
    (Camel Audio Alchemy / Some Samples-Work into the discoDSP - Vertigo VSTi)
    - Format : MP3 - Filesize: 11,9 MB - Length 13:04 Min

Huricane Sandy 2012 - Soundcollage by Sonic Sirius

Hurricane Sandy was a tropical cyclone of the 2012 Atlantic hurricane season that severely affected portions of the Caribbean, Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern United States in late October, with lesser effects in the Southeastern and Midwestern states and eastern Canada. The eighteenth tropical cyclone and named storm and tenth hurricane of the season, Sandy is estimated in early calculations to have caused damage of at least $20 billion (2012 USD) Preliminary estimates of losses that include business interruption surpass $50 billion (2012 USD), which, if confirmed, would make it the second-costliest Atlantic hurricane in history, behind only Hurricane Katrina. QUELLE : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021