What are the best synths out there with audio out over USB?

Discussion in 'Synthesizers' started by Bunford, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I used to have a Virus Ti2 Desktop but never loved it so sold it. I also had analogue synths that only output sounds over 1/4" outs.

I was just wondering, be it cheap or expensive, a clone or an original, as someone who hates cables and clutter, what do people think the best synths are with audio out over USB, especially for producing techno, house, or hybrid film types of music? And by synths, I do also mean drum machines!

3. Dblurgh

Dblurgh Ultrasonic

Well, let's get these ones out of the way...
    Almost anything by Elektron these days. Digitone, Syntakt, Analog Rytm, Analog Four...
    You can even record each track to a separate channel via Overbridge. I think even the Model:Cycles has audio over USB.
    In my opinion a used Analog Four MKI or Analog Keys is pretty much the best hardware synth you can buy for that money.

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yeah, the Analog Rytm is on my list of wants when I can budget for one! I knew the Elektron stuff would be pretty quick to come up in a reply :)

5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I just recently bought an Arturia Polybrute which can be connected via usb. A software version can be downloaded and used in your DAW.which is a one to one copy. It makes it easy to save presets and move them back and forth between the hard and the soft. Manipulating parameters via all the animation at one's disposal within the DAW environment is a wonderful thing. I haven't installed it yet but will soon after I take delivery of my new incoming computer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

It is integration between the plugin and the unit. So computer-controlled for all CC info, patch data controls to the hardware in realtime, basically. But it is not a direct audio-in connection via usb. Since you have a good audio interface to record through, you aren't really missing out on anything but possible (virus-like) problems anyway. :)

2.4. About Using PolyBrute Connect in a DAW PolyBrute Connect is not only a full-fledged editor and librarian for the PolyBrute. It also lets the synthesizer work in a DAW as though it were a virtual instrument, meaning you can sequence notes, automate knob twists, and more. Nearly all current DAWs offer dedicated virtual instrument tracks so you don’t have to create separate audio and MIDI tracks like back in the day. A virtual instrument track is the correct type of track in which to host the PBC plug-in. However, PolyBrute Connect is not a stand-alone virtual instrument or “soft synth”. It’s a means to control the PolyBrute hardware synth. So you will need to create a separate audio track to record it, and plug its audio outputs into your recording interface. (We like this thing called the AudioFuse for that, by the way.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

All the Roland Boutiques have USB audio output - Always opinions for and against when it comes to these 'Emulations' - But honestly the patches on these kits are quality. Prices can be a bit much sometimes - but if you shop around you can snag a deal(s) now and then

8. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

I have got Novation X-Station and Ultranova. They both have audio over USB. The latter one has got a vocoder built in that is transmitted over USB :wink: I like it.

9. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Platinum Record

Roland Jupiter X - if you have the bread, its a beast