What are the best power amps for speakers of 80 W per channel & 6 Ohm ?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Medad, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Medad

Medad Newbie

Hi,

- I was looking for a good Amp that can match my speakers of the (Sony RX77) but I didn't find anything.

- The speakers are 80+80 watt (80 Watt per channel) and 6 Ohm.

- The most popular ones I found is class T-Amp ex: ( microFidelity Model 200 Black & Lepai LP-2020A ) which have low watt per channel (about 40 Watt/channel)

- What are the best power amps for speakers of 80 W per channel & 6 Ohm ?

Thank you :)

Specs of the original base amplifier (Sony RX77)

DIN power output (rated) 60 + 60 watts (6 ohms at 1 kHz, DIN)

Continuous RMS power output (reference) 80 + 80 watts (6 ohms at 1 kHz,10% THD)

Music power output (reference) 135 + 135 watts (6 ohms at 1 kHz,10% THD)

Accepted impedance for the speakers from 6 to 16 Ohm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Why don't you use the amplifier between the speakers in your picture? Hook your computer to the AUX/Line In connector and you're set.

Later edit: There's no way your speakers can handle 80W RMS. If you really want to purchase an amp, anything that can deliver 25W on 4 ohms with 0.1% THD will do.

PS: Take a look on the back of your audio system and see what's the maximum W consumption. Get 80% of that power, divide it by two and that's roughly the max RMS power your sony amp is pushing into your speakers... and that's pretty much the power of your speakers.

4. Medad

Medad Newbie

@jayxflash thanks for helping

-Well I tried to use the aux on the original amp, but it's not working, no sound coming from the speakers.

-So if I get an amp that can deliver 25 W on 4 ohm it will work normally, but it won't affect the bass ? because I'm intending to use it for mixing purpose so if possible for example having the same kick sound as the original amp.

-Also no info written on the back of the speakers the only info that I can find is in the manual which I've provided in the specs section.

5. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Is your hifi amp working at all? The Radio/CD/Casette ... anything? For the Aux to work you should have a switch on the front, maybe named "Source" allowing to switch between CD/Radio/Casette/Aux. Maybe you have just a [jack <> RCA] cable problem.

I would not recommend you to spend any money on an amp without being 100% sure that you can't use the one you have.

However, yes, a good amp (as I said before, before you buy it, see the label on the back of the amp, for a real power of 25W per 4 ohm channel, the amp should consume towards 80W of electricity... if the power consumption is smaller, that amp will not be able to push 2 x 25W) - you can find Sony, Pioneer, Denon etc. -- see the hifi section on your media hypermarket. Good luck!

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Just get active studio monitors (and a dedicated audio interface) and be done with it.

This seems like too much hassle for you, for such a basic problem: Get an amp, then connect computer to amp and amp to speakers.

7. Medad

Medad Newbie

@Baxter

Yes, this is what probably I will do at the end, the thing is I'm searching for an alternative till I can afford good studio monitors.

8. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

That Stuff is for playing music on and not for recording at all, You will be waisting your time ! Just Wait until you can buy some Active Monitors maybe Pawn Shop, Music store payment plan with a credit card ect....

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

just buy an used cheap power amplifier with over 100 watt sinus off ebay or so and save up for studio monitors.
    buying "the best" power amp for these kind of speakers is just money down the drain.
    as a general use of thumb don't buy amps with less power than the speakers can swallow - because the clipping of an amp will do more harm to your speakers than owerpowering them.