What are the best (home) studio headphones?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Bunford, Apr 26, 2023.

1. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

Of course, that's what I'm talking about.. :wink:

Of Course!
    ..:dunno:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  2. bravesounds

bravesounds Kapellmeister

Get mm-500 and save more money

3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Having now tried out my Audient ID14 MkII audio interface with the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm that I purchased yesterday, they seem to work perfectly, even when using USB A. The volume is louder at lower levels when using USB C and there seems to be less hum (likely from having to use lower level/gain), but the hum is barely audible when using USB A, especially as it totally disappears when actually listening to something.

The DT 990 Pro do, unsurprisingly, feel more open and provide more of a sense of space than my M50X. The only way I can describe it is that when using the M50X the sound appears to be in my head, whereas when using the DT 990 Pro my head seems to be more like it is within a space, rather than just the music within my head. The M50X do have a punchier low end, but that's just down to being closed back obviously.

All in all, I can confirm 250 ohm headphones work perfectly with the Audient ID14 MkII and the M50X and DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm seem to be perfectly complimentary headphones for their intended purpose. I will likely be using the M50X for general listening to entertainment and for recording vocals, guitars, and so on where audio leakage is minimised, and then likely use the DT 990 Pro as my default production, mixing, and mastering headphones and for critical listening of reference tracks and other music.

Cheers all who input their views. Love this community :wink:

4. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

why is that? afaik impedance doesn't say anything about sound quality. planars have low impedance and are generally said to have less bass than dynamics....

you should really consider an amplifier... looking at that table - Amps for like 100$ today are 2x3500mW per channel at 32 ohms, 0,00006% THD+N at rated power, 144dB signal to noise......

5. Oleksandr

Oleksandr Ultrasonic