What about x86 support? :(

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by FWRG, Aug 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I got that first time, that's the small picture, I gave the big picture. All things x86 are going.

EDITP: While the main focal point is Reaper the thread title "What about x86 support?" is relative and indicative that eventually, x86 is disappearing, even though many still support it.

2. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Thats not a good comparision ...
    bcs nobody really used APE. it lost the battle against FLAC long time ago.

but seriously, the bridge is an essential part of reaper, a major feature, so why remove that?

3. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I think they'll keep it for some time to come, but there will be a point where x86 is phased out. Steinberg is discouraging vst2 already and focusing on vst3.

EDIT - Basically that won't be good for jbridge users either as dll's will be gone.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  4. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Well, I can't comment on the usage stats, but maybe it's just not that used and thus not essential and major feature.

Even dormant subsystems need love and maybe they're tweaking Reapers internals and they've a choice coming up: either rework the bridge or drop it.

Kind of like Firefox dropping FTP support even though it was "working fine", but it had zero maintenance and such things can become risky.

But this is just guesswork, fuck knows.

5. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

Reaper v6.35 is out and the internal x86 bridge still works as before. So... what's the point of all this discussion...?

6. dtmd

dtmd Platinum Record

Not comparison, just an example why, already implemented code would be considered for removal. And/or removed, eventually. Nobody will use (lost the battle against x64) x86 in some time, same as vst2 (ask Steinberg) would be obsolete... With new features being implemented, maintaining code of (dated and high-end hardware, numerous operative systems...) constantly updated product, methinks require removal (debloat) of less or rare used, once software package promotional, now nothing but obsolete 'features'...

7. stopped

stopped Producer

I will never stop using x86 plugins so I hope companies keep catering to me

8. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

The issue is not the x86 plugins, it's more the developers and/or companies who stopped supporting them. Compatibility is always a good thing.

9. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

VST2 and it's updates are also "associated" with x64 anyway.
    So I doubt we'll suddenly jump to a situ where only VST3 is supported.

10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

It won't be sudden but Steinberg is discouraging it. They will maintain compatibility I imagine, they cannot afford to kill it off quickly.
    Any product has a use-by-date even if it is decades.
    Here is one thread of many from the Steinberg forum. They're justifiably not reliable as nothing really is these days, but the feedback is interesting. Vst2 started as 16bit in very early Cubase and became more used with 32bit by the way. All 64bit is this century. Vsti was 32 then to 64.
    https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vst2-being-killed-off-by-steinberg-not/108905/10

EDIT: Another thing that means it will last longer is because they have not incorporated the MIDI plugin aspects of vst2 into vst3 yet so yeah, it will be a little while yet.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  11. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

So, from what I can tell, all VST2 we have will continue on into the future, IE daws will support it, even if it is classed as "not supported" IE development stops.
    Devs just don't want to pay Steinberg for the license for VST3 because of the MIDI flaws, is all.

12. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

It all seems quite convoluted to be honest. You cannot blame anyone for feeling confused and perhaps even a little peeved that there is no clear cut stance on its lifespan. Unfortunately, a lot of developers ceased upgrading some of their plugins or they simply do not make it anymore. some of the less esoteric plugins have been swallowed up by larger companies for the better and worse, so it is a can of worms this supposed transition to x64. We are truly only observers.