What about this minimal house track?

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Rudy Manterie, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

3. DJK

DJK Rock Star

are you using samples and loops? everything sounds so dated, poor quality sounds, you need to rethink what sounds you use, i mean lo fi its all so dated,sorry but thats my opinion, listen to music you like and what to produce and compare your track to a pro track,

4. Rudy Manterie

Wow, you are a harsh critic. But to be honest i wouldn't want to exchange my track with the one you posted in a million years. Let's agree to disagree. But thanks for listening and your honest opinion! Loops and synths 50/50.

5. Rudy Manterie

When i listen to music i like, eg Ricardo Villalobos i fall into a deep depression because he is so many lightyears ahead of everyone else... ; )

6. DJK

DJK Rock Star

well harsh is just an opinion, and if you prefer your track then its fine, dont forget you are always going to get different opinions, and bye the way i have had 24 tracks released since 2019 on 6 different labels, all it is is hard work and determination, i never said your track was crap, just trying to help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Rudy Manterie

I get that and am really thankful to get feedback from a pro!
    edit: And yet lofi is making a comeback!! : )

8. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

Personally, I come with a quite neutral point of view, being absolutely not in this domain, the only things that matters to me is:

1. Is it interesting?

2. Is it original? (even if the "minimal" style is not new, you can anyway bring something special to the table, and by coincidence... It's exactly what I'm looking for when I listen to music!)

3. Is it personal? If you don't add anything that is somewhat, (in)directly or incidentally, related to your own life, your own feelings, your own reflections... then it would have far less value for me, and I would not even be there to talk uselessly about something I don't even feel.

To really listen and be able to criticize your track, the listener have first to accept it exactly as it is: it is a Minimal House track, and nothing else. So first, we have to accept and figure that, and not argue nor discuss about something that isn't there: this is NOT an ultra-modern, ultra-hype EDM track, nor a Metal song: so we should discuss only about the sound material being there, and only that.

1. Is it interesting as it is? For me, yes. As a composer, you have something that I could not define, a sort of curiosity, an intention (perhaps a sort of distance? Can't find the words) that, after have listened to your other track, I found appealing for curious persons like me.

2. Is it original? Is it really useful, positive, constructive to answer this question? For me, who don't have any taste, nor even care for EDM, but do like non-commercial electronic music in general, and is always curious to discover new things, it is, in the sense that this song have a sort of point of view that I found original. Here again, words are helpless to describe my impression.

3. Is it... personal? For the reasons exposed (poorly) above, yes, I think it is more personal than the appearances let the rapid listener suppose to be.

If you only stay at the surface, superficially you could say it's only an exercise of style, an amusement, like a quick origami when you're so bored that you don't find anything else to do... But it's not.

Obviously I'm not qualified here, I could only encourage you to develop this special curiosity you have, and to keep on searching unusual and personal ways to express your different inspirations.

The only (pseudo-technical) remarks I could write concerning the music, the composition itself: Perhaps should you try to break the repetitive aspects even more, by introducing new harmonic lines, or new FX...

- Why not a tb-303-esque, rhythmic (composed of very short notes) arpeggio / melody / sequence that you could deploy at some carefully chosen moments of your track?

- And what about some (totally random) reverberated piano notes, to introduce some sadness, some melancholy?

Both suggestions would appear completely... hem completely outdated, off-topic, and even disconnected, but if I was you and someone tells me that my sound is poor and outdated, instead of trying artificially to be "modern" or "actual", I would like to accentuate the "outdated", "displaced" aspect even more! :winker:
    There is a French proverb that says: "Your said "defaults" are your force, cultivate them!"... :mates:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  9. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

I liked it.
    Suggestions? Maybe to strip the track a bit more in some sections to create a tiny bit more variation, the ingredients are already there so some editing would easily make it a lot better. at 0:57 that “transition” lead nowhere. But overall totally ok.

10. Rudy Manterie

Thank you Amore_de_la_Vida for the detailed analysis! Really makes me want to work more on the track. The possiblities to add (or remove) stuff from the track are seemingly endless. But i guess that's what remixes are for. Melancholy is always good in my book. Let's see.

And thanx EddieXx for the suggestion but i particularly like the 0:57 break. ; )
    More variation could break the minimal aspect imho.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  11. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

that is the art, to make it minimal. but not to make it monotonous and uninteresting.

you have a tendency to confuse "minimal" with repetitive and monotonous, the break didn't accomplished to be minimal or anything else. it was just not good.

12. Rudy Manterie

You just take the wrong drugs.