Weird serum problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by bicuspids, Apr 24, 2022.

1. bicuspids

bicuspids Newbie

I have installed an uninstalled many cracked versions on my window but i keep getting the same problem which is: i open up serum i work with it fine for like 15 minutes and then suddenly the audio stutter and freeze until i turn of the audio engine. It never works again until i reopen the daw. Has anyone encountered this problem. what could it be?
    Thanks.

3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

how many presets you have installed ? if it is thousands, try to move ALL of them to somewhere temporary, and start the serum with 0 of them and see if them problem goes away. If it's really the presets then I'll tell you what I did to solve it, because I've encountered this in the past.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

make sure it is firewall correctly. also try with another driver, maybe ASIO4All?

I think the problem with too many presets to be indexed, usually hangs it up at load. not after 15 minutes. But nothing would surprise me either. :)

With Serum the bulkier content is in the tables folders too.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  5. demberto

demberto Rock Star

Indexing only begins when you open the preset browser. If you have presets on SSD, it won't be an issue at all.

6. bicuspids

bicuspids Newbie

Them prblem didn't go away stevie. I removed all the presets and tables but it's still having a stroke after a few minutes. The audio freezes and loops. I tried changing the buffer during this but Nothing worked.

7. bicuspids

bicuspids Newbie

I don't think it's the presets. i tried what you said and changed the driver. I dont know if it's ableton but every other vst seems to work fine. I remember trying it in bitwig and it stops the audio engine instead of suddenly freezing and i would have to turn it back on and so forth

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Your problem will not be all that easy to fix since you have had multiple versions installed. And they keep changing the protections for every major update, or whatever. So you probably have a lot of remnant files.

Revo maybe? So uninstall, clean up, reinstall. is where I would look next. If you are already backed up now anyway...

If the problem was the driver you would have issues with other software too. Do other heavy CPU burden plugins work incorrectly, as well as Serum? I doubt it is your problem. Serum is not Omnisphere, for example. I think it is cracked or authorized incorrectly.

but that is just my guess.

9. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

hmm, not the preset..

Serum uses FXP file for presets which is a common file type for a lot of other plugins, even Cubase. Other plugins when you put together FXP that isn't their preset, they just bypass it and the indexing/scan goes through, Serum on the other hand will crash/hang/stuck if there are FXP files that aren't its preset in the preset folder.

During indexing, there will be a temp database file at AppData\Roaming\Xfer before it will be full written to Serumpresetdb.dat if the indexing is successful. Check that folder if there is a temp file there, open it with notepad and scroll to the bottom, if Serum crashes during indexing, there will be a log there of what caused the crash. If no temp file only Serumpresetdb, can confirm it is not the indexing that causing the crash/hang.

Is there any known hidden timebomb for serum ?

10. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

ATME, the recent patched version works very well and has zero time bombs. This looks like a messed up install - uninstall procedure. Like @clone I too recommend to use a good uninstaller (Revo) and manually check files, folders and registry for remnants, delete all of it and start again.

11. bicuspids

bicuspids Newbie

I downloaded traction waveform and i tried serum. It crashed the daw twice after i i little time of use. But i removed the presets and now I've been working for an hour and its fine. So maybe its the presets?? I did uninstall and reinstall

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. bicuspids

bicuspids Newbie

Every other vst works well and they all use just as much cpu so i dont think its the problem

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @bicuspids, perhaps the error is to be found in faulty presets.
    You can find the user presets here: C:\Users\Your Name\Documents\Xfer\Serum Presets\Presets\User.

Just cut out all the presets and copy them somewhere else. Then start copying one soundbank after the other back into your user folder. So test one soundbank and if it doesn't crash, move on to the next soundset.

You should also look in each soundbank folder to see if the prest endings are correct, the ending is FXP, even percent signs % or other typos by the sound designer can cause Serum to crash. So special characters do not belong in preset names.

Example:
    Correct : 01 Thelxinoe - Che.fxp
    Incorrect: 0% Thelxinoe - Che.fxp

14. birdboi

birdboi Producer

If it is not the serum presets, try Uninstalling serum and then manually delete all the file paths of where Serum could be. E.g: Program Files, Program Data, Documents, Appdata etc. Then either re install that same version or try a different version to install and see how that works out for you.

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Installing / Uninstalling Serum from the Manual:

• Installing on the PC (Windows)
    Double-click the EXE installer.
    It will prompt for the location of your VST, VSTx64 and desired location for the Serum Presets folder.
    The defaultlocation for Serum Presets folder is: C:\Users\(Username)\Documents\Xfer\
    You will be prompted for this location frst run of Serum.

• Installing on Macintosh OS X
    Unzip the .zip fle. Place Serum.vst in the VST Folder of your choice
    (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/). Place the “Serum Presets” folder in
    /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST or /Library/Audio/Presets/Xfer Records/

• Uninstalling Serum
    PC: There are no registry modifcations, and thus no uninstaller.
    Delete the Serum plug-in(s) from the folder(s) you chose on install.
    Delete the “Serum” folder in C:/Documents/(you)/AppData/Roaming/Xfer/
    and the “Serum Presets” folder in C:/Documents/Xfer/

OS X: remove Serum fle/folders from the following locations.
    (command-shift-G to go to folder):
    /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/
    /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
    /Library/Audio/Presets/Xfer Records/
    /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  16. bicuspids

bicuspids Newbie

I screen recorded the thing. I did what you said but still doing the same thing.

17. bicuspids

bicuspids Newbie

My graphics are : intel had graphics 620
    And amd radeon r7 m340 if anyone is wondering

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

Did you try installing the demo version of it yet? That's a very good way to rule out the release being the cause of your problems. If it is some real underlying issue, the demo being untampered with, should fail the same way. You can remove it after validating it works or not. This has to be from a clean install too.

I do not expect this to be a hardware related problem. buffer/ drivers are possible. I'd even reseat the ram. that's about the extent to which you should have to go. Maybe reinstalling audio interface drivers even.

what exact release did you use? (no links). what firewall did you use to corral it in, and/or any hostname edits to block ip/web addresses?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  19. bicuspids

bicuspids Newbie

I tried the demo now and still did the same. Maybe its the drivers i don't know but why just serum? And as for the info you requested below i can't really tell how to look for them. So can you help me out?

20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @bicuspids, please run this one:

1.) Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

2.) Please times the "Device manager" and say please if there are exclamation marks, a screen shot is always very helpful.
    https://mcci.com/support/guides/start-device-manager/

3.) Which operating system do you use ? Wich CPU? How much RAM? Wich Mainboard? Laptop or PC?

P.S.: Wavetable synths take a lot of CPU. Anti-aliased, pristine oscillators like the ones
    in Serum take a lot of CPU. Good filters like the one in Serum take a lot of CPU.
    Cons: Heavy CPU usage, causing a lot of strain on your computer

4.)
    Please install the free CCleaner www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download
    and make a screenshot of the CCleaner under TOOLS --> Startup.

At the bottom left of the CCleaner is also what processor YOU have, make best a whole picture of it. We want to find out if there are other programs running on the side and using too much CPU power and we want to find out if your CPU power is sufficient.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  21. bicuspids

bicuspids Newbie

I can run Massive x and razor, pretty much all vsts and i had no problem with cpu doing glitches or lagging. So are you sure it's the cpu?
    Anyways, I'm gonna do all these steps just in case and will come back to you