Weird problem with vsties in Reaper 5.40

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Talmi, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Very strange since yesterday (and it happened before once or twice and with previous versions, but closing and reopening did the trick, I thought my hd might have had some bugs, but that's not it) Reaper doesn't show any of my vsties, doesn't reload them when I try to open a project that contains some, except for the vst3 weirdly, they're just gone as far as Reaper is concerned, it shows them as missing, in red in the mixer, and it tells me it can't find them. I haven't changed anything in my vst settings. My vsties are in my "vsties" folder which is contained in the same folder "VST", as is my "vstfxs" folder, vstfxs which all appear normally.

And where it gets weirder is that it only happens in Reaper. Samplitude loads everything fine, Cubase too, bidule also, in all my others environements not a problem. When I load Agent in reaper I can load vsties inside agent, they don't disappear in it...:dunno:

This is driving me a bit nuts :crazy:, and it's a problem obviously...

Anyone got that issue or something alike before or anyone has any idea of what could cause that ? I have a legit Reaper and 90% of my instruments are also legits.

I'm not bad with OS, setups, running my daws okay, a bit geeky on the side, usually have few problems and I manage, but I have no clue on this one...

Oh and my OS is Win 7 x 64, the version of Reaper is 5.40 x 64.
    Did a clear cache rescan, nothing, displaced my vsties folder elsewhere then put it back to force a rescan in reaper, nothing.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  3. notremid

notremid Producer

Best Answer
    That is very weird indeed. All I can suggest is to ask in the REAPER forums as well, very informative and helpful. You could also roll back to a previous version like 5.35 maybe. If all else fails, hope for a new update which will resolve this issue. (5.4 came out is March so I am huessing there might be a new update in the pipeline)

4. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Thanks for your answer. I was thinking about going there and ask...A bit shy I guess, it's a big forum.
    Very good idea indeed to go back to 5.35. I'll see if that makes a change and report back.

5. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

5.35 did the trick ! No idea why this suddenly started to happen, I probably did something wrong. I'm gonna try to figure this out, to upgrade back to 5.40...In the meantime, I can go back to a normal routine !
    Cheers @notremid :mates:

6. saltwater

saltwater Guest

any difference if you start 32/64 bit Reaper?

may worth a shot
    http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=92230

another user reported this:

Preferences --> Vst ---> delete all the folders in the box (i mean the list that reaper choose automatically) --> select your folders and clear the cache --> close and open reaper --> open the vst/fx list ---> press F5

7. saltwater

saltwater Guest

oh u got it sorted, good :wink:

8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yep, I was actually rejoycing by having fun with a synth !
    Thanks for chipping in anyway, I appreciate it. :wink:

9. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

If you are talking about that you can still open plugin in new clean project, but can't open them in saved project, usually it is overloaded by plugins, a lot of oversampling, graphics, etc. I got this when I had project with all existing analyzers and meters (vst, js, old 32 bit, new 64 etc), so hundreds of instances. It just became overloaded, some plugins got unfound, and just crashed, and I just divided it into several big chains and saved them. Depends on all your pc gear, and software itself.
    But reaper is still stable, better than anything I have used before.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Oh yeah it's solid, stable and reliable...Which is why I was surprised. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong, what's strange is that it happened after a moment I hadn't messed with tweaks, scripts or anything. I closed after having started a beat, I reopened and my vsties were gone. I started a new project, no more vsties here too, opened another Wip, nada, etc. It happened in any configuration, I just couldn't access my vsties anymore and just in reaper, not really an unstability thing, more like a unexplained disappearence. All is back to normal now, except I'm running 5.35.

11. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

I'm running 5.50pre13, no any problem) except extreme plugins overloading. But I just render huge tracks with huge chains.
    i7 3770k, 16 gb ram, 2 tb hdd

12. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

try to delete "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" (or if you are using warped plugins like waves, there will be similar file, something like this "reaper-vstplugins64shell.ini") in reaper folder (it is the file that contains all info of your loaded plugins, deleting it will cause initial scanning while opening reaper, also run reaper in admin mode) and you can also delete "reaper-vstfxppath.ini" and in reaper set up again your paths to vst folders.

that will be my contribution to your problem! :)

p.s.
    reaper 5.40 x64 here
    win10 with latest update

13. notremid

notremid Producer

No worries. Glad to be of help:mates: Also, the REAPER forum is excellent probably the one of the most helpful and informative forum(at least when I was more active there) so don't be intimidated. I asked really stupid questions there and still got good answers haha. One of the better forums along with our beloved AudioSEX of course:wink:

14. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Thanks for the advice @n0xin :wink: I'll try that before retesting 5.40

Yeah they seem like nice people, I found a lot of explanations there on scripts, how to, people share the love there too, but I never actually formulated any question myself, I guess I'm kind of lurker over there, hehe. I'll give it a try if I can't manage to go back to 5.40 with the tips provided by my dear fellow audiosexers.
    And yes we have a fantastic forum here too. I got help and unstuck thanks to you in less thaan an hour. It's amazing ! :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List