Weird MIDI issue with note-off signal when using mod wheel.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by maxnecio, Aug 21, 2023.

1. maxnecio

maxnecio Newbie

I'm having the strangest issue with brand new (supposedly) Nektar Impact GX61.

Basically there's an issue with DAWs receiving the note off signal only when using either the mod wheel, pitch bend or the only potentiometer the keyboard has. The consequence of this is that keys get 'stuck' until pressed again.

I have tested this on Bitwig (Linux Mint 21 and Windows 10) and Ableton (Windows) and it happens on both. I have tried every USB port in my PC, I have enable and disabled the USB 3.0 compatibility setting (XHCI) in the BIOS.

I have tested the keyboard using MIDI-OX, however the mod messages fill the entire log and it's hard to tell when the issue actually happens, but I think it doesn't happen when using the tool.

Nektar support basically said 'bring it back to the store' and I did, but when we tested it there the issue didn't actually happen. The staff was very aggressive with me so I didn't inquire much and just wanted to gtfo.

I'm at a loss as to what the issue could be. This is the only community I could think of that is smart and amicable enough to help me with this. Also this post could serve as a reference for anyone else who comes across this issue.

My system:
    • Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 first gen
    • MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
    • AMD 2700x

Things left to try:

• A friend's PC. Will try to do this within the week and will report back, even if I get no replies.
    • An iPad/iPhone using GarageBand and Apple's camera adapter. Will try right now if I can clear enough space on my phone and find the adapter that's lying somewhere around my house.
    • ???
    • profit

E: I have tried it with my phone (13 Mini) and it doesn't happen. So it's either my motherboard or my PSU. Both things are a no-go when it comes to replacing them (I live in Argentina, our economy is taking a dive).

Would a powered external USB socket thingy help?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

4. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

Under the 'file' menu in midi-ox there is a 'Log...' option that saves the results of the IO to a file called 'MIDILog.txt' when you've enabled logging.

Try that, then copy the contents of that file to one of the many pastebin sites on the internet, and post the link to your pastebin post back here.

My guess is that you're actually conflating 2 issues somehow, Impact keyboards use the 'send a note-on message with velocity=0' method of doing note-off. Most DAWs are fine with this, but VST3 changed how midi processing happens, and some DAWs have, at times, had issues with VST3 note-offs not being translated from this style. Usually the DAWs then implement internal translation and everyone is happy.

A note-on with velocity 0 will look something like '90 30 00' in the raw data of midi-ox, although midi-ox will display 'Note Off' properly understanding this convention.

The other convention, that steinberg foolishly assumed is universal, will show as '80 30 xx' where xx is the note-off velocity, and again midi-ox will annotate this as 'Note Off'.

What I think is happening is that you're testing this, but you're using a VST3 plugin, whereas in the past when you were sure it was working, it was a VST2 plugin, and somehow you're using a DAW that hasn't been fixed for this issue

If that's the cause, you either update your DAW to one that fixes this issue, or only use VST2 plugins and curse steinberg for being idiots. Also, if it is this issue, midi-ox output will look 100% fine, because it's not the midi data that's the problem, but the VST3 standard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Can't you rule out plugin-type related problems on Windows using a standalone Synth or Kontakt, etc ?

6. audioplg

audioplg Ultrasonic

it chould be a compatability issue with your motherboards on board asmedia usb chip.
    asmedia has had a rocky time with issues.
    but to start with free options have you updated the bios on your motherboard and the chipset drivers.
    as amd have patched things in the AGESA before.

if that dont work you chould just buy a cheap pcie usb card that is not using an asmedia controller in stead of a powered usb hub as the hub is dependant on the host controller any way.
    as a plus you will gain some extra real usb ports.

7. maxnecio

maxnecio Newbie

I will try this solution later tonight (Keyboard controller into MidiOX -> Map to virtual midi cable 1 -> Virtual Midi cable into Cubase.) from your first link. I assume it will work, however I have fully switched to Linux and using Windows just for this single scenario is not ideal. But nothing in life is truly ideal.

This is the kind of insight that I knew I could only get in these forums. Sure enough I'm testing it with VST3 plugins. I only had the keyboard for a month though, so it kind of always happened. I will try it with the native synths too (both ableton and bitwig).

I usually never install the standalone versions, just the VSTs, but I'm sure I've got one around. Will try.

This is my main theory, however I will check if it's the VST3 vs VST2 thing. Which seems rather dubious to me now, because if that were the case there would be plenty of cases to be found while googling. I will start looking for one of those cards without asmedia though.

Thanks to everyone for your answers, will update with the results of all of these ideas.