Weird digital distortion happening when moving any windows.

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by lemjello, Jan 23, 2017.

1. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

OK, I have a ticket open with Presonus, but, I think I may get a better/quicker answer here.
    I have a Hack that is GA z87X-UD3H with Xeon 1231 and GTX750ti, with 4X4gb of Ram. The audio interface is a Presonus Audiobox VSL22.
    The machine makes noise constantly and changes pitch when moving windows, or anything having to do with the graphics. It's running 10.10.5 and Studio One 3.3.3. But, the noise happens anytime, including just moving a folder on the desktop.
    I've tried ALL the troubleshooting on the Presonus website/forums, and looked through many apple, tonymac, insanelymac, etc trying to figure this out. Tried using the generic USB kext, also, without (how it's supposed to work), tried using the audiobox's drivers (all). Tried it just core audio with no drivers. Tried it with and without the OpennSSh thing. Nothing seems to make the noise go away, only changes in pitch. Waiting for an answer from Presonus made me think that, hey, they probably can't tech support a hackintosh...

To make things worse, it runs perfectly fine, and without noise in a random win7 laptop hanging around.

Of course I could install Win on the machine, but that's not why I have a Hackintosh.

This machine previously was using a MOTU F/W interface with zero problems.

Anyone have any ideas at all? I'm currently taking a step back before my head explodes!
    Just so you know, it is a different machine than the machine in my sig. Similar, but with the components listed above.

3. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Hello.
    I can tell you, If any confort, that win7 aero gives the exact same headaches with many audio softwares. That's why many sound engineers set the win95 classic theme on win7. Happens even with win xp (with acid7, for instance). It's about the graphic renderer (software) conflicts.
    (Seldom irq conflicts can happen, too. Try moving the graphic card into another pcie, or using a different usb port. Maybe it will work for your problem, although...)
    Graphic cards that are not properly screened can induce digital noise in the (internal) soundcard, through radio frequency. The noise can also go from the pcie in the voltage supply line on the mb. If that happens, it can affect usb too. And If the external sound card hasn't good voltage filtering, the noise can be heard. That's the difference between average computers for audio, and professional gear.
    If the respective noise does not end up in the final audio file, I would ignore it.
    Anyway, try closing all windows when working, except the daw. Even the souncard's control panel.
    A good approach is the old joke:
    "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this move. What do you recommend?"
    "Don't do that move anymore!"

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  4. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

I get ya, believe me... I do I.T. for businesses as well, so, I feel the Windows pain too ;)
    The bizarre thing here is that it happens just using the computer. I don't even need any software open. That's what I meant by moving windows around....anything really.
    On the topic of Graphics, it's a Gigabyte 750ti with 4GB of VRAM, using the latest NVIDIA web drivers and CUDA.

5. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Well, I have an internal pci soundcard, next to the graphic card, and I always assumed it was bad screening. Exactly the same simptom, when dragging windows around. But it's something around -60dB, barely noticeable. Yours being an usb sound card, it confirms my idea that the noise travels via the mainboard, to the usb.
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

6. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

You could try putting a powered hub between the pc and interface.
    So the usb device isn't getting its power from the computer.

There are also devices out there like USB decrapifier and usb isolators.

Maybe worth installing windows on another drive just to test if it's software or hardware issue though.

7. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

Yeah, that (win on a drive) was going to be my next step. Powered hub is a good idea too. Already tried a hub, but it was bus powered. Thanks for the ideas

8. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

In case someone stumbles on this. I found the solution that worked for this. So stupid...It was a ground loop. Once the computer ground was lifted, problem solved.

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'll simply ask you this, and it's very important: Do you remember when did you start hearing this noise? What did you do prior to that? It usually works. :wink:

10. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

11. shomyca

shomyca Producer

I have the same problem with RME HDSPe AIO, and only on the headphones (unbalanced connection) and it is a known issue with this card.

Could you please share how exactly did you lift the computer ground and do you consider it safe? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  12. Grada

Grada Noisemaker

That buzz sizling noise with cursor I had the same on my hackintosh build 7years ago. I succesfully solved by turning off all power saving modes in bios, c states, turbo boost, set vcore from auto to manually. Than I just enable one by one and target the problem. I think problem was with vcore setting the auto value 1.27v as manual did the trick.

For the RME AIO also I minimize noise by disabling power saving in bios. But to completly remove noise you need to isolate metal L bracket on the PCIe card or to replace it with plastic. There is also topic on RMEs forum and they recommand this workaround.
    Check the image I found there. LSIRTPF.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. shomyca

shomyca Producer

I actually tried everything you said. I will try again meddling with bios prefs but the bracket I isolated with the isolation tape. I got absolutely no change at all...could be cos isolation method is not nearly as neat as yours...and I did not isolate the rims on the case as in your picture, just the card bracket. Now, because the noise is only on my headphones that I use seldom, I am also thinking about ground (shield) lift on the headphone cable.

14. spiggy

spiggy Ultrasonic

I had a similar sound many years ago using Windows and an M-Audio PCI card. A zipping, tearing sort of sound when moving windows around. I BELIEVE the problem turned out to be graphics drivers. Sorry I can't be of any real help it was years ago but I would experiment with diff versions of audio/graphics drivers. I agree with above I think it's some sort of conflict. I don't use MAC, but I would also lower any visual settings you can and look in the BIOS for power and processor throttling options.

15. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

Sorry, I'm just getting back to looking at this. This was actually a friends computer. It is a hackintosh that I built, but, he lives in a different town and uses a different interface than me. He had the Presonus 22VSL hooked to a stereo receiver to power the studio monitors. I went through all the steps outlined by Presonus, including opening a ticket and trying everything they said (which I had already done anyway) then going to his place, we simply lifted the computer ground with an adapter that effectively removes the ground pin on the power to the computer. This immediately worked. I did tell him to go thru and try lifting other things so the ground pin on the computer would still be connected to drain whatever may need to go through there. I'm thinking (in theory anyway) the ground still is happening through the sleeve of the USB cable.
    I simply used the idea from many studio manuals and live sound for that matter, that everything that is connected together, either though cables or chassis, is sharing the same ground. So, even removing the ground pin from the machine, ground is still happening through the USB/receiver, etc. I still think there is probably another thing in the chain that could get lifted instead of the actual computer, but, that fixed the problem right away. So, I left the trial and error part up to him. There should be only one path to ground in the chain. That is why in a studio rack they will tell you to only have one thing in the rack use ground, and all other devices should be lifted. They are all connected together through the actual rack rails, so, only having one path to ground makes all the units use the same ground, therefor eliminating any chance of a ground loop.
    BIOS settings in the computer had no effect. I always disable the power stuff in BIOS anyway and let OSX take care of all that, well, OSX and Chameleon in this case...
    As far as the headphone thing, that sounds like a true PITA. You could try ground lifting that...I remember back when all this computer audio started happening (for me anyway) around 1996 that in order to remove this sort of noise, it was usually ground related. How many times have you had the noise when using a laptop and a PA system where the noise happens when the laptop is plugged in (power) and removing the power and using battery solves the problem?
    Also, it would probably be hit or miss with a PCI card removing it from chassis ground since I'm sure there is still ground happening through the PCI slot...maybe isolating it from the chassis will help, it is certainly worth a shot. Just make sure there is absolutely no metal touching the chassis of the computer. Also, remember, the screw that holds the PCI card in is attached to the chassis, so you need to make sure the metal of the screw isn't contacting the PCI card.

16. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Harvest the noise and make great benefit for you and your family.
    [​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've gotten myself this little gadget to fight noise, ground loops, and shit. Not the latter so much, actually. :rofl: It makes connecting your studio easier and it's not expensive [~$200]. You can hook up your whole studio to one of these. It can handle 15A of equipment! Nice rack lamps on it, too. Can come really handy. Maybe that could be a solution for the zipper noise? Although I doubt it. But it would make your equipment work more quiet and last longer. :wink:

[​IMG]

18. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Try some hardware saturators, tubes, etc on DA converter, then back to AD. So it should be less digitally harsh sounding, but warmer and vintage, creamy, softer, shine and other Slate's words. But don't forget 24 bit tpdf dither before hitting DA conversion to save details and dynamic range and avoid truncation :D
    It will be more pleasant to move windows)))

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Yea, nothin' like listening to good ole zipper noiz thru a tube preamp. And never forget to dither, yea. :wink: :hahaha:

20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Furman is quality.:wink:

21. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

What's the exact model please ?