We should stay on topic when participating on any thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The Pirate, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Now that we are discussing it, allow me to explain. The idea for this thread was born out of an email I received from a member. She had posted a question to some issues she was having with some software. Instead of receiving answers related to her problem, the thread was "taken over" by another member with an unrelated problem of his own. Everyone forgot about the OP's issue. It was as frustrating for her, as it can be for any of us who in the past has opened a thread only to see it derailed by unrelated comments, or trolls that have nothing constructive to say but just like to be "funny".

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  2. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Taking over a thread and making off-topic comments are two different things.
    The first is inappropriate the latter just human.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

You are right but in her case the "taken" was done by-way-of off-topic comments. Had her thread been "taken over" by a member lending her the advice she sought, which is what usually happens, she certainly would not have contacted me by email.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

That's exactly what I meant with 'inappropriate'. This just shouldn't happen and I think nobody wants this to happen to his own thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Diogenes

Diogenes Guest

Has anybody got the Mac version of this thread?

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

I thought thread-hijacking was against the rules, indeed a very irritating occurrence. That being said often done by newbies that are just on this place to ask one question then disappear

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I think we're all adults here.If the girl got irritated by someone's post,she could say it to these people.

However learning to be a bit tolerant with other people could help some members too.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

PREACH BROTHER :phunk:

haha, i meant more on the side of creating subpar topics that lead nowhere but potential chaos...

WINNER!! :hahaha:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ppl just needa relaaaax and not take things to heart, these things happen in forums, just chill out. yeah sometimes it can get frustrating when shit gets hijacked(which is wrong), but its natural for a thread which is open for discussion to go in many directions.

Personally some topics I opened also got a bit derailed by a few members, but overall it was still mostly on topic. It's how forums work.

Hijacking is different from a post going in different directions though. Hijacking is an extreme version when shit gets outa hand, but that's what mods are here for.

But for the most part shit going off topic happens, no need to make a big deal over too much salt, creates more problems and arguments stemming from something so small...

With that being said, who wants to roll a virtual joint with me!!!!!???? :chilling:

9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

To be clear, she never said to me she was "irritated" at, or by, any member's behavior. She said, and I repeated, that she was "frustrated." Frustrated from not being able to find a solution to her problem. True, we are all adults and certainly can't change what we refuse to confront. However, I can't blame nor second guess a member's decision to not confront another's behavior. Even when you are polite in your message you can become the target of insults, ridicule, and yet more trolling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Don't wanna get involved here too much, I just wanted to say that his signature seems to be a reference to stoicism (Epictetus and so on). It's a philosophical school of thought that basically thinks that whatever gives us grief is not the issue by itself, but the issue is rather the way we think and feel about it. This line of thought then teaches that by changing our thoughts, we can change our emotions, and hence our problems. I don't see how this would insinuate "serious control issues".

Besides, it's funny to read your post while looking at your "ban! ban! ban!" avatar :bleh:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

@The Pirate

My mind moves in mysterious ways and my intention was not to take a piss or belittle your comradic concern in speaking your mind on behalf of the good of the community. I just tend at times to see daylight through the tiniest of cracks in a frame of reference and then unfurl my jib, catch the wind and then to generously jibe away.

[​IMG]pnc near me now

13. recycle

recycle Guest

Off-topic happens because “my ego is way more important than any bullshit you have to say”

we are artists...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. vkris

vkris Ultrasonic

Drama again?

15. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I agree, but it's true that lately I find more offtopics/hijackings. I'm the first sinner when it comes to OT jokes, though. I try to make them on already off-railed threads but that doesn't free me of guilt.

Nailed it.

Great comment, love it. But you're too kind reasoning with someone who only writes what he thinks is more offensive to someone without getting banned.

And on another state of affairs...
    When you addressed me as "dear" first time we talked I knew we would get so along... :hahaha::lmao:

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  16. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

this topic should hardly cause any controversy, at the most it should be the cause some constructive reflections

I think the problem is way to many troll-wannabees/bullies or simply disrespectful people with similar tendencies attempt to normalise their deviations and try to sell us their right to derail other members threads and topics under the name of "liberty" and "freedom of speech".

they are very much welcomed to execute that kind of "liberty" and "freedom of speech" with their mother, or anyone willing to put up with it

just not in this forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  17. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

i hope it wasnt me :sad::disco:

---------------------------------------
    THE OP must open his mouth or report....or just repeat the op questions a bit more pressured...
    further
    there is offtopic and there is offtopic...

forgive me pirat..in my threads i kno no offtopic but we keep on track...but i report dumb trolling , but mostly i take the gi joe out of the box...
    when needed op question will repeated...most here understand that very well

----------------------------

but here was/is a lot of trolling and not respecting other ppl threads so they come talk negative shit and unrespectfull nonsense talk in this threads and need beat up...

-------------------------------------

18. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

youre offtopic is not offtopic..its just nonsense humor nobody needs..heh heh:cheers:

19. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

or just look at this thread....

funny how ppl dont get diffrence between offtopic and offtopic just like in all other society things

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Actually it's the rank miasma of slugs, snails & puppy dog tails that your spicy nostrils discern from afar... :excl:

Rumours of a rotunditudal disposition are a terrible slur and truly a gross misconception - after millenia of profound pastry abuse i got substantially lost in clubland and if memory serves that's where the E went... :disco:

I'm always sorry Lois, but i'll drop and give you twenty if it helps!

EDIT: apologies for going off-topic! :unsure: