We Are Dark Redone Vote Which one You like better.

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by The Teknomage, Mar 4, 2017.

?

Whic one do you think sounds better

1. We Are Dark 5

2. We Are Dark 6

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

very cool song idea, reminds me of Kraftwerk. push the vocal more to the front, add a healthy 10db gain reduction maybe some highs

4. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Always have trouble deciding the level the level of the vocal. not sure what you mean about the 10db gain reduction though. This is not done in a DAW by the way. The lack of highs is due to the style of track, which is dark. Kraftwerk????????:rofl:

5. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

im getting a bit more of a Depeche Mode/ Gary Numan/ Visage vibe from this.
    i agree louder/clearer vocals would normally be nice but it does have a nice (we are) dark sound as it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  6. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

He meant to pull out some compressor to your vocal and apply about -10db gain reduction to crank it up a bit through the mix!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Killer groove. You gotta get those vocals to the front and center, darkness or light be damned. Perhaps a bit of saturation applied after a couple doses of compression plus a touch of a gentle 2k eq curve of about 4db.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Thanks for that. I honestly didn't know what he meant.

9. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

You know me. Always shy about my voice. Is the vocal not coming out centre. I'll have to go back and check that there's no panning on the slots.
    I'll give the EQ a try, as I think I can do that in the 8 track, not sure about the saturation though. This old hardware makes a heap of noise as it is.:rofl:

10. When I said, "Front and center," It was meant to imply my hopes of your vox being more the focus of the track, but not that it was anything other than panned at zero degrees. It seems right up the middle.

11. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

:rofl:I'll have another fun through with it when I get time and try and impliment all the advice.

12. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

@korte1975 @RedThresh @superliquidsunshine @Oysters So I took the 3 vocal tracks out, did some noise reduction to get rid of background noise, and silenced between the vocals. Then did a retake bringing the highs and vocals up a bit, but haven't compressed them again yet. I've uploaded the new run to Clypit, put it under the original, and left the old one up for comparison.

13. I'll check it out when I return home.

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Good work bro.The problem is that its just so dry.
    Send me the wav track, perhaps i can send it trough some juice.:cheers:
    Send me two tracks, instrumental and vocals separately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Cheers!
    It's actually in six tracks. Three mono tracks for the vocals, one mono track for the low end, one stereo track of the whole frequency range, and one wide stereo for the high end. Send me a PM and I'll upload them to Dropbox, and send you the links.

• List
  16. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Upload em and hit me up with the links bro.

17. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Very interesting mixing workflow I must say.

18. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

First time working on my 8 track, so I made a few errors on the way. Like forgeting to pan in the the mixer inputs from the RM1x and losing punch in the centre, and being too wide. Then having to make a mono track and cut everything over 600Htz. The 3 vocal tracks are for verse, chorus, and backing, as they use different mic sims and FX on each one. Before this I'd just do the whole thing live in one take. So I'm kind of at the begining, hence I didn't understand about the gain reduction.:rofl:

19. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

Nice and simple Groove, pleasant to listen to,

it seems I like the first version (on Orfium) better though, but the first time I listen to it the voice sounded not enough "define" or sharp.

I guess your 8 tracks doesn't let you sidechain compression, this could surely help for the voice : Voices VS Music in a gentle way + a bit of Mid-HighEq only on the voices because for me, the music sound good as it is on the first version.

Anyway just my hunble opinion...btw it reminds also of some Residents.

20. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Thanks Man. I prefer the 1st one too, as it sounds darker, so will do it again, and yes, there is no sidechain. It was my 1st time using it too, so things will get better once I get through a few more tracks.. Not familiar with The Residents, so will have a listen but very familiar with Sham 69 though.

21. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

If i may guys.. the style is not "depeche mode like" the style seems to be somewhere in the wave/darkwave/postpunk universe.
    I like the lo fi thing, a lot of bands out there wouldn't polish it more.
    Just a break here and there or some other musical idea to keep it interesting over the time i'd say.

• Like Like x 1
    • List