Ways to get the piano sound you want

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by SwingSwing, Mar 6, 2018.

1. SwingSwing

SwingSwing Member

Hi everyone,

i wanted to ask you guys for "tricks" and ways in which you influence or create a piano-sound.

I am still just a beginner in designing sounds but I imagine there is a lot possible with compression, different reverbs, putting several piano sounds or sinewaves over one another or using a little distortion or something like that. I have a general idea of how those things work, but I want to find out more about how they are being applied to piano-sounds.

Also: what is important in the piano set-up or sound to you to make the piano FEEL right when playing?

Personally, I am even more interested in an instrument I can enjoy playing than listening to in a final track. To me the MIDI-dynamics seem to be really important, but I haven't figured out a consistent way to find a good set-up for those on different piano-sounds.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I think they're two different questions.

Piano sound: you could try a piano VSTI/Kontakt with different effects included. And presets for them. It's easier to experiment with. I use a metal Kontakt library (Big Fish Audio Goth) which has a piano with several effects, but this lib is focused on guitars and bass. There should be more for piano only. I can post a pic of the interface of BFA Goth Piano if you want to get the gist of the effects.

Piano playing experience: I don't know about this, I'm guessing that you have a good MIDI keyboard to play "live" the piano plugin. For sure they're skilled users here for that, I barely can play mine :(

Once you know a bit about the piano effects you can apply them with another plugins to the best suited one for live playing.

4. LHO

LHO Ultrasonic

Hey SwingSwing,
    you've probably come across this, but I'll repeat: If it sounds good, it's good. The way you treat your Piano mostly is up to your preferences and maybe the genre you're producing, so there's no definitive guideline. Just experiment with what you have until you find something you like. Also, maybe you could share some more info on what you want to achieve so the people here can give you more specific tips (e.g. Upright or grand? Classical, jazzy or pop/rock? Center of attention or background? Modern or vintage-y? Example songs? ...) :)

Personally, I feel that pianos already have a lot of harmonics/overtones, so I mostly try to keep the processing minimal. A little bit of corrective EQ and some work on the stereo field, maybe a very slight amount of saturation and of course some reverb on a send. I mostly want my pianos to sound like "real-world" pianos though, so If you're after a more cinematic/electronic sound, you can go much crazier with your treatment. For fx-y stuff I like sending piano through a vibrato and a "shimmer-type" reverb (Valhalla Shimmer for example).

What's more important IMO is the source you'll be using. There's a ton of piano VSTs and sample libraries catering towards different needs/sounds. The main thing to look for here (for me at least) is microphone perspectives, as they allow you to do a lot of tonal shaping before reaching for any other processors. As far as built-in fx go, I don't care too much as there are always 3rd party options that'll probably sound better.

Lastly, you've mentioned the importance of playability, and in that regard I can wholeheartedly recommend The Hammersmith by Soniccouture. Apex predator. Given that you have a decent MIDI-keyboard with a sustain pedal, that one is incredible.
    Sound-wise, I also like Piano in Blue by Cinesamples, but I would take The Hammersmith over it any day. Taste is subjective though!

Good luck :)