Waves Vocal Rider Used With Compression?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by remix, Dec 30, 2011.

1. remix

remix Platinum Record

I just got the Vocal rider VST and have yet to install it but i was wondering how you would use it in conjunction with a compressor or more to the point do you need a compressor at all? because surely it would perform the same function as a compressor ie regulating the peaks and troughs into a more uniform sound?

If you do use both together would you put the compressor first then use the vocal rider for fine volume tuning?

Would love your thoughts on this

:O)

3. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

a compressor not only controls the peaks it also gives you volume and warmth and fatness

4. smartlad

smartlad Member

Just see what sounds best.

Personally I would put the vocal rider first then compress to suit (if at all needed).

Depends on the source, don't just do it because it's a tool for vocals.

5. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I use this combination alot. I put the vocal rider in front of the compressor, so now that everything is hitting the comp at the same level, you get a more even compression on the vox. Also now you can chose your comps more for color or character now that a majority of the limiting is being handled by the rider plug.

the best way would be to get the vocalrider to write the automation to the lane, put the automation in touch mode like this.

Intro to vocal rider

--
    sG

6. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

This is just my opinion so just say if you find I'm wrong.
    The Vocal Rider seem to be a auto volume control, that's not the a compressor.

I'm a Special events DJ and I find the vocal rider dose what I do when someone unexperinced with a mic is doing a speach. By that I meen when the person's voice gets quiet because their moveing away from the mic, I push the volume slider up. If they go to shout I pull it down, dropping the volume so everyone isn't blowen out the room or in your case the sound clipps/distorts whatever happens on your stuff when the signal is too loud.
    In short it controlls the volume like you would at a mixer when a band performs live

Compressing a sound changes the way it sounds, adjusting volumes dosn't change anything but volume.

I guess what I'm saying is if you want something to have the compressed sound use a compressor and if you need to have the vocal rider befor it.
    If your just getting rid of a variation in volume caused by a moveing singer, just use the vocal rider.

If I'm wrong then what am I supposed to do with it? Please Tell me cause this is how I use it

7. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Newbie

Most of the Rider stuff I usually view as automation more then anything else(most of the major studios ive worked in always had the consoles doing it.....)The combination of the Rider into compression will give you some more lively mixes......(I call it Ukrainian automation*lol*......set it and forget it)

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Exactly, Zalbadar. Vocal Rider is an auto-volume control, loudness control. It doesn't compress. It's for people who like their vocals as they are, but nicely levelled, or to make it easier for a compressor to do it's job. It should be best used before going into a compressor, but if it sounds good after it... ;) The only rule to stick to is "if it sounds good, then it's good" rule IMO. LOL

Cheers!

9. FishMixx

FishMixx Newbie

According to the manual and several tutorials that I have watched Vocal Rider should come last in the chain after compression

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I have gotten A LOT of kudos for my vox mixes, and have developed my own technique and sound.

According to the books we should all sound and look exactly the same. Just like they want us to.

Dont be a trend monger, be a trend setter!

BE UNIQUE, DARE TO SOUND DIFFERENT :wow:

trial and error is the best tutorial *yes*

--
    sG

11. remix

remix Platinum Record

wow thanks for all the ideas...

gonna use it tonight and see what works best!