Waves SSL-E Going Solo for $29.00

Discussion in 'Software News' started by mercurysoto, Jun 21, 2017.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Now independently of the SSL 4000 bundle.
    If one had to take just one plugin to proverbial island, this would be it. I know Waves gets mixed emotions all the time, but at $29.00 this plugin is a steal. There's no better time to go legit.

Peace.

SSL E-CHANNEL

GOING SOLO!

[​IMG]

LIMITED TIME ONLY

$29

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Offers valid for a limited time only.
    Also available from all authorized Waves dealers.
    Waves reserves the right to stop these offers at any time. Offers are not retroactive and apply only to the products specified.

2800 Merchant Drive Knoxville, TN 37912 USA | Phone: 1-865-909-9200 | Fax: 1-865-909-9245
    Copyright© 2017 Waves Audio Ltd. All rights reserved.

3. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

It is not a steal... it is just finally a plug from waves with an acceptable price.

Actually, that is the only plugin that I use from time to time, from waves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

We all know that Waves is overpriced, but this one plugin is worth well above the 30-dollar mark. Arguably it is Waves's finest.

5. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Wonder if anyone has done a comparison of this to Sand...

6. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Waves Audio seems to prepare a plugin migration or something like, since previous release (June 19th) the new Brauer Motion is based on WaveShell2 (for now, also v9.91) instead of regular WaveShell (by this way, they're two entries from Ableton, it's not fair). Also, actually is one update every 2/3 days: worst-ever than REAPER ;-) ;-) ;-)

Today, both SSL E-Channel and SSL G-Channel are now based on WaveShell2 too (instead of WaveShell, for previous merged versions).

New Waves Central version (not better than previous, it's a liar - I prefer to stay polite), and of course, updated WaveLicensingEngine (WLE) DLLs (Windows platforms)...

29 dollars isn't expensive, but the problem is mainly the Waves Update Plan. The reason why I don't have bought IR1 (for very fair price actually, however).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

This would make a juicy fight pit:

1. UAD SSL 4000E - $300.00 (Unison preamp with hardware control of gain staging and impedance),
    2. Acqua Sand - $200.00 (Nebula Core 9 technology)
    3. Waves SSL 4000E - $29.00 (classic and proven algo technology)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. digitaldragon

I could have done this with the Waves and Acustica products, but now my trial for Sand is gone. Had no idea the entry level for UAD was that low. Likely because I was looking at the cards vs. the USB/Firewire interfaces.

9. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Great to see it solo. This and NLS are the only Waves plugins I use. I own a few other licenses. But haven't installed them in years.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

It's good, I find. I prefer Sand and I use Sand now, but sand isn't the same price and AA needs the setup that it needs.
    It's a good deal.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

From another SSL Channel thread, where I stated:

"Looks like a great deal considered that their SSL Bundle costs 750 $. I used to buy plugins during waves sales in the past but I stopped after I realized how the waves update plan actually works. Once your update plan expires you won't get any updates unless you renew your coverage - year after year. That's how they actually make all their money. And it gets expansive – the more plugins you own, the more they charge you. They charge between 20-35 $ per pliugin per year.

If you don't want to pay you can install the version you bought, but you are stuck with it. So although it may look like a cheap deal, it is a double edged sword."

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. sparkles

sparkles Guest

... so wats the deal? a) you go legit for a pleasant amount of 29$$, b) a very good tool on the market
    c) may you pay yearly 25-35 $$ for update, or buy Sand at once for 200$ also a great tool on the market.
    So whats the deal for me? i don't know yet , i m close to buy SSL

13. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

If you want to go legit, I guess this is the lowest you'll ever get, though it is expected for this price to be back again, as Waves regularly rotates its sale prices. Otherwise, you can give Waves the finger and be happy with R2R. I wouldn't worry about the update plan. This plugin has been the same forever. Other than the Waveshell change explained before, it should sound the same as always.
    I don't think a $300 plugin is low. It is the second most expensive price in the UAD catalog. Now the plugin is new, and the price will plummet in a year or so. They usually get down up to $179, and with coupons a Unison channel strip can be had for around $120 or less. I'm not in the market for it. I bought the Neve 88RS and I'm more than pleased with the results. For that money I'd honestly buy Sand.

14. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Sand is Acqua Engine based, right? Well, you can insert waves SSL channel across 50+ tracks without any problems on an i5. And that's what you want from a channelstrip.
    I am pretty sure that's not possible with acqua plugins. If I put on Pink CM for example that adds like 15% of CPU consumption. They sound great but they are just too demanding, imo. I personally, think I might get the channelstrip just because I love the SSL EQ because of how it "grabs".

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  15. virusg

virusg Rock Star

add this cupon at cart: DK39S for extra

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

17. sparkles

sparkles Guest

@mercurysoto hehehe thanks man, i always love to give "finger tips " actually i don't do it in general but its a good way to show some noble mindedness, however when the timing is on my way its better to give a finger and buy the product in a good price and be just a noble.
    @virusg thanks man !

18. digitaldragon

That's just for the plugin itself? I thought it included the hardware necessary to run it as well.:dunno: If it does include the hardware, that's why I say it's lower than the UAD cards I looked at. I probably don't know, just got scared by the entry price, and didn't really pursue it too much.

Not possible without freezing tracks at least on my setup. I usually end up freezing everything anyhow as I'm running too much stuff on the master and

[​IMG]

I'm having to bounce my reverbs now because I like an instance of the Gold Strip at the end with a little air boost from the EQ and strip set to Buss. Price you have to pay for "that" sound, I suppose.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

I feel you, man. I guess it's actually a pretty good time to buy it, and it really shows an effort on Waves to put their golden stuff to a layman's pricepoint. In my view, it is a solid approach to curve piracy. At least the argument that Waves costs that much because it's for money-making pros is going downhill.
    Well, the UAD world is a lot of money for an entry ticket. However, the hardware and software they make is of the utmost quality (as any audio interface in their pricepoint). However, for Acqua/Nebula users, it's just the right match because you can use UAD's processing to free up computing resources. With a duo card (like my Apollo Twin), you can run dozens of 1176s, Pultecs, LA2As and Fairchilds in their legacy mode (which is all the emulation without the transformers which seem to add to the DSP consumption). This is the basic toolkit free with any UAD card or interface. You can add the flavor of the Nebula engine for sweetening and you'd have a solid production rig. Of course, you could put all that money in a super duper computer and get there too, but for me, a UAD user who's just discovering AA, it's a great solution to a humble-powered computer.

20. digitaldragon

With UAD stuff, I was always interested in the Manley Massive Passive. I like the Olonga version, just wish it was wrapped up in a nice GUI like my shiny new Acustica Gold. But if I'm learning anything about music production in the modern age, it's all about working around the limitations that you have. We've got it good. Seems I've ventured off topic.

21. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

but.. what happens if you install legit Waves plugs... next to your enhanced demos? will Waves Central hose them all ?

sort of like Arturia's license manager will do

if I missed something on that, just point me the way

thanks for the heads up @mercurysoto
    and @virusg for the coupon

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017