Waves Renaissance series appareciation thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by Riot7, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Splicementality

Splicementality Kapellmeister

thanks for the tip :wink:, i will have these on a spin to see what they're about, i'm still a bit infatuated by the l2, maybe not as a finalizer but i can certainly see it's use on different sources.

as far as gui goes it's beautiful, just plain and simple. *pull this parameter down or up to make music*

2. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

I still love Waves. I don't understand the "get with the times" arguments against them as if they've suddenly tanked in quality like a rusted out vehicle. I mean, sure, they've been arguably surpassed in certain ways by select plug-ins, but if something sounds good then it sounds good. Light on CPU, runs on modern hardware, and lots of people are already familiar with how they operate and respond -- no need to throw them away and spend time learning something new and developing a new workflow and bag of tricks.

"Why are you using an Arp 2600, a Roland Jupiter-8 or TR-808?", said almost no one ever. Same principle applies. Waves is classic gear that still gets it done. I think a lot of people fall prey to the old-is-worse-than-new-until-old-turns-into-hip-vintage fallacy and spend more time and money chasing shiny new features and upgrades than getting work done, only then to realize they enjoyed an aspect about what they had before.

But whatever... use Slate or SoundToys, et al. I mean, there's a lot of good stuff out there. It's all just a means to an end, and hopefully an enjoyable way to spend a few years on this planet.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  3. TW

TW Guest

RVox and MV2 are dessert island plugins for me. I use them in every single project. Waves got some real gems...

4. LHO

LHO Ultrasonic

I love RBass and RVerb so much. Specific use cases, but they always deliver. As for the GUIs: Really into the old school/90s vibe, seems refreshing with so developers many going for that "analog" (skeuomorphic?) look.

People seem to be quite stoked about RVox and RComp. Really interested in these, so it'd be great if some users could elaborate on what kind of material/in what situations they like to reach for them!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

As the name implies, mainly for vocals. Easiest to use, just pull down Comp, adjust Gain to input and see/hear if it sounds good. Also good for a lot of instruments.

6. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

I don't fully understand what RVox actually does under the hood, but it basically gives you an instant leveled focused vocal sound without pumping or too much or other unwanted artifacts. It also has a simple gate feature to get rid of noise, bleed and handling sounds.

If there ever was a perfect idiot proof "karaoke" -plugin, this would be it. Obviously this also means it's great for tracking. You just slap it on to a channel and and you are pretty much ready to go. I've used it live and on final mixes. It has never let me down.

7. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

Homer drooling.png

8. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  9. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I feel your pain bro......

All jokes aside Waves as a whole gets much love from me. There is one that I keep as a secret weapon, as we all should.

10. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

rbass rbass rbass rbass bass rbass rbass rbass rbass rbass bass rbass rbass rbass rbass rbass bass rbass rbass rbass rbass rbass bass rbass rbass rbass rbass rbass bass rbass rbass rbass rbass rbass bass rbass rbass rbass rbass rbass bass rbass rbass rbass rbass rbass bass rbass rbass rbass rbass rbass bass bass !

I started using them back when Logic still ran on PC (v4.5 around 2000/2001) and they're still my gotos today they're on anything dance related I mix or produce. Rchannel is insane, Vox & Desser also ... they're still some of the best within the Waves walhalla.

11. Saur

Saur Ultrasonic

Ya, I don't think there's anything in 2019 that does what rBass does (if there is, please tell me about it!)