Waves plugins working in Mono only? Logic Pro 10.7.6, Waves v13/v14, M1 Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fillwox, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Fillwox

Fillwox Newbie

I know this is a longshot but I heard this forum is a safe space for real technical stuff.

I upgraded my 2015 Macbook pro to a new M1 one (2021). Most of my plugins are working great, however the Waves bundle are causing me issues (classic waves bundle). Here is the scenario -

I install my Waves plugins (V13 and V14 have the same issue). I run Logic natively and I get the error 'no licenses found', which is to be at least semi expected. Then I change Logic to run with Rosetta and I rescan my failed Waves plugins. They all pass validation and I no longer get a license error, but -

Mono plugins work on Mono Audio tracks
    Mono plugins do not work on stereo tracks
    Stereo plugins do not work on stereo tracks
    Mono->Stereo plugins do not work on stereo tracks

In the case that they don't work, I receive the error 'The plugin failed to load, it may need an update. Please contact the manufacturer.', even though they passed Logics plugin validation.

Anyone experienced anything like this before? Any ideas on why this might be happening? Everything was so simple on Intel... V13 and V14 downloads from the sister site.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

First off, I'm not familiar with your DAW so I don't know how Logic handles this, but
    Sounds about right. :winker:

Sounds about right, too (why should they, wrong input).

This does not sound right.

Sounds about right (again, why should they, wrong input).

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

I am on Intel only, so this is just my guess. This error reads very similarly to when a Plugin or Program is not Codesigned correctly. You will get BS error messages. I would codesign all the plugins you have installed. You could get lucky and this is the most simple option you can try; plus it cannot hurt anything. (if this is about Cosmos,etc just ignore).

But I do not think that will fix your issue of Mono/Stereo problems. It sounds like either a) misinstalled release b) bad release

Rather than codesigning everything individually, you may try this in Terminal. It will Codesign everything with only entering your password once for all of it. Give it a few minutes to run :

cd /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/

find . -name "*.bundle" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.VST" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.vst3" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.component" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.dpm" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;

find . -name "*.bundle" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.VST" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.vst3" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.component" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.dpm" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  5. Fillwox

Fillwox Newbie

You're right, except that what I forgot to mention (apologies) is that when I hover over a stereo plugin (for example OneKnob Driver (s)) the expanding menu will only have mono available for selection, not stereo. Not even Dual Mono... If I load a mono plugin on a mono track and convert that track to stereo Logic tries to load a stereo plugin but fails.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Fillwox

Fillwox Newbie

Thanks! I tried this but no luck, same error... Its really strange, I don't understand why mono plugins would be working but Stereo wouldn't, and the option doesn't even appear...

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

the Codesigning is just about the few you said it would give errors on. The Mono thing, I have never seen what you are describing but again, i'm on intel Macs. Mixing installations and instructions can also screw things up, especially Waves. Many users seem to have issue with how those particular instructions are written. But some of them also try installing releases that say "Tested on Intel Only" and think they will work on arm Macs. I don't/haven't used Waves in many versions, but I do remember you always have to do those instructions to the letter.

I would stick to only one verified working release. Cleanly uninstall everything and start over, but only after verifying I was using the correct release.

Have you tried using a Mono Only plugin like the External Instrument yet? It can be loaded as a Mono or Stereo Instrument. You should see the corresponding options in your Effects insert menu after you insert an instance of the External Instrument utility plugin as either stereo or mono.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  8. Fillwox

Fillwox Newbie

I've been using these releases for years so the process is very clear to me, though with M1 a lot of things seem to have changed! Trying to get a hold of RET version but I just can't find a comprehensive link that works...

Okay interesting development, thank you! All plugins work perfectly on software instruments, they are listed as they should be (Mono on a mono track, stereo and dual mono on a stereo track), so the issue is just on actual audio tracks. This is just even more confusing but its progress i suppose!

9. Fillwox

Fillwox Newbie

Okay new development. Let's take H-Comp as an example.

In my plugins list, regardless of if the track is audio or software instrument, regardless of if the track is mono or stereo, I get two choices of plug ins -

H-Comp (m)
    H-Comp (s)

On a stereo track, expanding menus for both will say (Stereo) and (Dual Mono)
    On a mono track, expanding menus for both will say (Mono)
    I have to select the correct plugin and the correct type for it to work. Converting an audio track from mono to stereo (or vice versa) will cause the plugin to fail, and I'll have to manually reload the plugin by selecting the correct version.

So basically, all versions are being listed at all times, and Logic/Waves doesn't know how to convert them to mono/stereo and carry the options over. Its working as all separate plugins that don't communicate with each other. I guess this is workable but if anyone knows of this and knows how to resolve it and link them all again that'd be great!

Video embeded using c1 as an example.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. swordsx48

swordsx48 Newbie

same issue here bruv
    except stereo does work on stereo
    so all are always shown, which is a tad annoying
    and then, mono works on mono, but not mono to stereo
    and dual mono or stereo works on stereo, but mono is also an option and if clicked, gives the same error as yours

any luck? i figure there would be more people trying to use waves with m1
    thanks in advance!!