Waves new features

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rhodes, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

From waves 9
    The last waves I tried was version 8, and to me, it seems that there is no difference in loading or processing performance ?!?
    Is that just me or they are just selling canned air ?!?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

I was thinking the same thing, i didn't notice any difference as well.

4. Gnib

Gnib Producer

Loading and perfomance are the same. Mavericks is no longer supported.

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

A couple of years ago I made tests with v7, v8, and v9 plugins. They lie through their teeth. V7 plugins are far more efficient and faster in everything, v8 a bit less, than v9 plugins. The thing is, though, v7 and v8 plugins are only x86, and of course these older bundles lack many of the newer plugins.

However, if one is content with using SSL and API bundles, Renaissance bundle, V-bundle, C4, L2 and other plugins that made Waves great, there's no reason to use v9 plugins.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I started using waves plugins steadily in 2004.as time went on i went away from them for higher quality plugs , but around 2008 i started using them again because i got better at using any plugin to do specific things i needed , they def not even close to the bets quality or code, but what is great about them is the variety and if yo been using them long time you can get results. its been a little while that almost any plugin i use takes so little system performance that i can use as many as i want dont really notice a difference performance wise anymore on system anyway. that 4 year period when i didnt use waves anymore i got a slew of jobs toward the end of that 4 years where i was mixing and mastering at another persons houses helping them on jobs and i had to use their setup and was showing them how to use waves by the end of that month i went back to waves just because i was able to get same result as any other set of plugins. I def notice that the plugs from 2004 load way faster, but it dont matter to me because plugs dont affect my system anymore with new powerful desktop i built with i7 6700k ddr4 32 gb ram and all ssd drives.
    I like to use large packages of plugs because of consistency and being able to get results. when i need to do a specific thing i know what plug to grab ( or pick between 7 plugs that do that thing i need)
    the way that i use audio plugins , i use each plugin to do specific thing and stack of plugins to act like a piece of equipment individual components , when used in this way you get get exact results you want.( just takes a while to hear a track and know what exact thing it needs next and on and on)

7. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

It's like so many other software products.
    They have developed them to a state, where further enhancement is not possible anymore.

So I wait for the day, they begin to offer Waves as a SAAS or abonnement or how you ever call it, like Adobe or Autodesk do. No real enhancements, just dumb paying customers.

For the difference between 32bit and 64bit software: I suspect they just compiled them new without optimization. So most likely the software gets slower. This is, what your test are showing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Ok, so at the end, You get a better performance, only because You probably switched from a dual core to an i7, and upgraded from 4 to 8 Gb faster ram, in those few Years ?!? ... what a disgrace :bash:
    Is it really necessary to treat Your customers as Imbeciles ??? ...whoever liked the plugs, would buy them anyway :dunno:

9. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I haven't really noticed much of a performance difference between any version of Waves, except that, as my computer got faster, I was able to utilize them better. What I think you're not taking into account, though, is that, as your computer got faster, you also upgraded to a 64-bit OS, your DAW was upgraded to 64-bit processing and you may or may not have started recording your projects at a higher fidelity. In other words, while your hardware and software all got faster, you may have also upped the ante' on what you were doing with it, which makes the gains inherent in using 64-bit plugs a lot lower. I don't think Waves is claiming they got faster, just that they were keeping up with the times and enabling you to continue using their software on current computers. They're also implementing SoundGrid, which makes all their plugs hardware-accelerated -- that will actually make the plugs run a lot faster.

10. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

They need to overhaul the ones they already have. Like UAD did with the LA2A, 1176, Pultec etc etc... People 8-10 years from now are going to expect plugins to model things like for ex. impedance loading... Waves stuff is pretty long in tooth at this point. Other companies are growing head and shoulders above them and I wouldn't be surprised if Waves sold out to another company years from now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

i can stack 75 waves plugins on a track, to me i feel like that pretty optimized , i honestly dont need to stack 120 plugs on a single track haha :D