Waves F6, floating band surgical dynamic eq

Discussion in 'Software News' started by mild pump milk, May 24, 2017.

1. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Case closed.

2. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

ia,
    For example I have synth lead with some narrow resonances. With dynamic eq you can compress them. With multiband compressor you process much more, resonances and stuff which is near, close to them. So dynamic eq with engineer filters, such as izotope ozone dynamic eq.
    What do you mean engineering filter? All of existing filters and curves inside one plugin, order, extremely narrow q, free phase adjustments, windowing, ir length, IIR FIR options, transparent without saturation, oversampling to avoid cramped and decramped approximation at nyquist etc? Or what?

3. mild pump milk

He just doesn't see the difference between compressor working with spectrum divided into several separate parts and compressor with eq curves/filter types. Other things such as crossovers is too early to explain, because he should learn the difference between 2 different tools first. When he will see difference, then other nuances are welcome to explain.

4. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I agree that essentially is the same, but with a dynamic eq I can insert a peak bell on top of a band shelf.
    something u simply can't accomplish on a single multiband compressor.

Having that said, when I started making music I thought that multiband compressors were something I was going to use a lot.
    but in reality it never really happend. ( except for de-essing).

in most of my sessions "true" multiband compression is used on the master channel, with average attack and release timings.
    ratio between 7 and 10 and arround 20 % wet gained up till it's barely noticeble

5. TK

TK Member

Well, the Waves C6 is actually a multiband compressor and dynamic EQ at the same time.
    That's what the floating bands are for. The obvious difference in comparison with the F6
    is that it doesn't support different filter types. The shelf and cut filters are missing.

In short, the technique in both MBC and "MBDEQ" is the same with a different range
    of controls.

6. mlb4sheaz

mlb4sheaz Ultrasonic

I bought it, for $29 you cant really go wrong. Easy to use gui which ia a real change for waves. Just needs a spec analyser, or maybe i just need to play with it for a bit longer to find it.

7. ia

ia Producer

Don't take in mind, they don't sound musically. But I love this http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html

not necessary
    you close

what? Allpass?

I meant IIR filters, but windowing is nice for FFT-analysis
    What do you mean?

Linear filters? I guess all normal filters are linear, but they don't sound pleasant

What are you talking about? Please explain

See? You saying dyn eq is the compressor with eq curves/filter types. Right?

there are only 2 different things:
    1) bands in MB comps don't overlap
    2) MB comp have wider Q

Yes, I agree

Sometimes they balancing spectrum in very pleasant way

Yes, I think using them for full-spectrum sounds is much useful.

Nice, NY comp of master track is cool thing, I also use parallel saturation, what is the same thing basically

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  8. ia

ia Producer

No, Pro-MB have shelf

this filters are static in F6 too

like F6=)

Yeah! See?

Right, same things with different usage

9. Rockefeller31395

Rockefeller31395 Member

Why is Waves always so outdated regarding the other developers? It's like if they lived 5 years before us in the past.
    This company never designs something new. To my mind, this dynamic EQ seems to be a worsened version of the Neutron/Ozone.

One of these months - maybe in 2018 - Fabfilter will launch its own dynamic EQ and there won't be competitors for them.

10. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Zero latency is one advantage over other alike eqs

11. Ankit

Ankit Guest

This is my take on This MBDynamics vs EQDynamics:-

Generally speaking, Multiband Dynamics is a subset of Dynamic eq. but vice versa is not true. Due to increased functionality of eq types, curves etc. , they called it dynamic eq instead of multiband dynamics because it looks and behaves more like an eq with dynamics processor on each band. Maybe I am making some sense here.
    :invision: ["My million dollar idea" or "Laugh at me" ] (Don't know if it's already there, just my imagination) :-

I think it's just naming/marketing. Fabfilter can release 2nd version of Pro-MB (Pro-MB2) and add multiple filters types, make steeper Q, make steeper slopes etc. Yes, they can do it. They just have to add a button to toggle between 'crossover freq' or 'Q' mode. Give us opportunity to use 'crossover' gui for wider bands and 'Q' gui for steaper bands or something in-between (they are really good at cracking the workflow).

Logically speaking, eq is a multiband processor in which bands can overlap without any restrictions (am I technically right? ).
    I think, for developers, they both are same but with different workflow ( ''Crossover points'' vs 'Q' mode).

I could be completely wrong. Please correct me by quoting my wrong/funny/idiotic statements.

:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
  12. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah but they're getting faster...They use to devellop plugins based on hw aged of between 25 and 40 years of age (or more).:guru:
    Now they just are 6 years late.:wow:
    In a decade or two it will 6 months....:drummer:
    :hahaha::rofl:

13. ia

ia Producer

I understand it this way
    1. MB compressor splits the singal into bands, each band have compressor on it
    2. Dyn eq is just eq with envellope follower (and VCA/comp) on each band, acting by same way as MB comp
    So, basically this is the same things, just different desing and purpose in the miximg/mastering. MB comps nicely suited to full-spectrum sounds and mastering, but Dyn EQ - for resonance controlling (just like normal eq but reacting to gain)
    Compressor and eq are parents of Dyn eq and MB comp. Dyn eq and MB comp are bros

14. Ankit

Ankit Guest

:wink:
    When moving crossover points is easier for the task, we use Multiband Dynamics, when moving filter frequency is easier for the task, we use dynamic eq. Both are same, just different Gui IMHO. They haven't made any Multiband Dynamics with steeper controls.

15. ia

ia Producer

I agree

16. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

17. mild pump milk

EngineersFilter by rs-met. I supposed first you were talking about this, but thought it is underrated. It is good filtering plugin. But need more improvements and some fixes.
    Musical or Not- musical gentle shapes sometimes can solve a lot of problems, but engineering ones usually not musical, but as they are more technical, they can save musicality in some cases.
    Free phase adjustments - make it between minimum phase and linear phase anywhere you want, or "antiminimum" phase (probably they are better for reversed sounds, woops, etc, because of preringing-only nature). Free phase is in dmg equilibrium, ddmf LPEQ, 112dB redline equalizer, ozone eq...
    I don't like IIR for engineering stuff so much, because of its technical issues to be not so engineering. They are fast and best for DC offset killing, gentle curves, etc, but not stable and a lot of shit near nyquist with extreme adjustments like order and q. Minimum phase fir are better.
    Windowing can be implied and for fir - equilibrium.
    Ir length - length of impulse response. FIR.
    Allpass is filter and never use it in linear phase mode, it is created for phase shifting only, but in linear phase it will be as "phase shifting without phase shifting", only pre and post ringing will be created and nothing more.
    Cramped and decramped and normal digital eqs - find this answer on vladgsound site blog, article about equalizers. Shortly, Cramped and decramped is how eq doesn't match or compensate analog curves at nyquist. To avoid mismatch or compensation you need higher samplerates or oversampling, or your eq will sound "digital". Normal digital eq works as analog, not nyquist limited, and it is better than compensated decramped, but cramped is the worst. It is issue for frequency and phase response. https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/a-classification-of-digital-equalizers-draft/
    Cramping and decramping is equilibrium 's IIR with all switched off vs IIR with all compensations. Fabfilter Pro-q2 low-latency is something like that, and natural phase is fixed one to be as analog as it is.
    Ddmf iieq pro has analog peak and digital. Digital is cramped. Analog is not analog as I remember, it is decramped, approximated to analog, but if I mistake - it is analog.

I don't remember, but probably engineersfilter has cramping. If yes, I would not work with high frequency and the highest frequency. Only lows, mids, high mids.

Dynamic eq is eq with its curves, and dynamic section.
    Compressor with its eq curves - I misspelled. It is a bit another tool. Guess what?

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  18. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Meh, I've had HOFA IQ-EQ and Sonalksis DQ1 they do everything I need and they sound superb. I really do not see any reason to spend more money on a Waves version that years behind.

19. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

this thread is like the multi-quote world championship!

20. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Yes, I like your Idea. But.... wouldn't it be more logical that each band in Pro-Q could be set to dynamic?

From a business standpoint, it makes sense to make a whole new plugin and charge the full price.
    :disco: