Waves Cosmos alongside R2R/VR

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bunford, May 10, 2022.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

So, I installed the R2R version of the Waves bundle from the sister site. It doesn't appear to include Cosmos within it. I have Cosmos purchased on my Waves account, but installing relies on Waves Central. Is it possible to install legit Waves Cosmos alongside the R2R/VR bundle versions?

Or, is Cosmos meant to be included with the R2R/VR versions and I'm just not seeing it for some reason?!

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You could delete your current Waves account and create a new account with a different email address.

Delete waves audio account
    Log into Waves Central using your Waves account information. Go to the Settings tab. Under Maintenance, select the products/version you wish to uninstall in the dropdown menu, and click Uninstall.
    https://howto.org/delete-waves-audio-account/

or install the newest:
    Waves - Complete v2022.03.13 Incl Emulator - 18.03.2022 - R2R
    - No Waves Central installation is requred

COSMOS Sample Finder FREE
    We are pleased to offer you the Waves COSMOS Sample Finder, free of charge.
    - COSMOS is not available as a plugin, only as a standalone application (also accessible from the CR8 sampler)

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  4. secretworld

secretworld Kapellmeister

Here it is included in R2R, but be aware cosmos does not run on non AVX CPU's. Sampler does, weird.

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ok, so I have Cosmos installed using the R2R version in terms of a standalone .exe version. However, I thought there was also a plugin version that you can use within your DAW too, which doesn't seem to be present. Is this right, or should there be a plugin version of it too?

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

If you had read my previous post you would know that:
    COSMOS is not available as a plugin, only as a standalone application (also accessible from the CR8 sampler)

7. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Click on this blue circle at upper left in CR8 and COSMOS will open. Then you can drag and drop samples to CR8.

Screenshot 2022-05-10 205352.png

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

tf they using AVX for in a sample browser, lol

9. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Cosmos does sample analysis, stuff like tempo, key, instrument type and what have you, so it presumably uses AVX for that.

10. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

There's no reason to use AVX without a check if it's supported on the platform your software is running on (and switching to a failsafe if it's not, or just not using AVX altogether) other than not giving a flying fuck about people with older systems. Waves link to AVX-512 page on Intel website, so I presume they're using that - this would mean you need i9-7000X/i7-9000X/i9-10000X series HEDT platforms, or at least 11th gen Core i5, released Q1 2021. As in, if you're a normal person using i5/i7/i9, if your PC is older than a year old, you'd be out of luck.

And literally the only thing AVX-512 adds is being able to process more numbers at once - you can work with 8 double precision /16 single precision floating-point numbers in a 512-bit vector. As in, 8 numbers get calculated at once instead of just one.

Truth be told I'd presume it's actually AVX2 they're using which is supported back to 2013 Haswell, but saying "AVX support required" is about as responsible as saying "works on Windows" without saying which version it's been tested on.

11. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I'm running it on an AMD chip so it's not AVX512, presumably any AVX version will do as they don't mention specifics. Intel probably has only the AVX512 page up to sell their chips as it's unique to Intel in x86 realm.

And no shit, the point of AVX is exactly to process a lot of data with a single instruction, yes, the speedup might not be 4x, 8x, or 16x or whatever number type you're working with, but it can be a hefty speedup.

The problem is that using SIMD is not setting a simple compiler flag (though autovectorization is a thing, it's just not there yet for real life scenarios outside specific compilers), the code has to be written using SIMD intrinsics by hand, that probably means that they had to make a judgment call, whether their specific algo specifies a CPU generation cutoff or it's painfully slow.

I don't know, but I think AVX/AVX2 these days is pretty reasonable requirement.

12. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

anyone noticed that cosmos is a electron app :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Kennyhack

Kennyhack Newbie

Where can I download or get that FREE Version of Cosmos?

14. Kennyhack

Kennyhack Newbie

Studio Verse requires Login. But after the Login a new Lincese is generated (MacOS-Library-Application support - Waves - Licenses) and then Cosmos stops working, because the generated License is ....wle.OUT