Waves Complete V9.6.44 Installation and firewalling

Discussion in 'Software' started by quadcore64, Feb 22, 2016.

1. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

VST3 and AAX working! The instructions can lead you slightly astray if you are not paying attention to
    what is on screen inside Waves Central.

(Started with clean install. Uninstalled V9R30 and any registry links associated with
    Waves Audio and Waves plugins)

How I did it:
    1: Went to Waves web site and made sure my account was still active (no products registered)
    and installed Waves Central.
    2: From the top menu selected Install>Prepare Offline Installer
    3: Under Choose Target Platform (PC)
    4: Save offline installer to>Select target directory (selected Desktop New Folder created
    with Waves folder inside containing offline installer
    5: Under Select products for offline installer choose All Waves products>All versions
    6: Now select the packages to install from the alphabetical list. NX will be between
    Mercury 9 and SSL400 9. Each package should be in the rightmost column.
    7: Click Prepare Installer

Will take 5 to 10 minutes to download. Once complete, close and reopen Waves Central
    Now choose the offline installer option and the folder for the offline installer.
    Upon completetion, close Waves Central and apply patch. The patch does not give
    any indication as to completion but happens rather quckly on my end.

BTW..the installer puts the DLL files in VSTplugin folders under
    Program Files and Program Files (X86). Just move them to your default
    VST folder(s)

Launch DAW and have fun!

Locations of files to add to Firewall:
    C:\ProgramData\Waves Audio\Modules\WavesLicenseEngine.bundle\Contents\Win32\curl.exe
    C:\ProgramData\Waves Audio\Modules\WavesLicenseEngine.bundle\Contents\Win32\WavesLicenseEngine.dll
    C:\ProgramData\Waves Audio\Modules\WavesLicenseEngine.bundle\Contents\Win64\WavesLicenseEngine.dll
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\Support\instl\bin\instl.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\WavesLicenseEngine.bundle\Contents\Win32\curl.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\WavesLicenseEngine.bundle\Contents\Win32\WavesLicenseEngine.dll
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\WavesLicenseEngine.bundle\Contents\Win64\WavesLicenseEngine.dll
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\Waves Central.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\InstlRunner.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Codex.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Element App.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\GTR 3.5.exe

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Hi quadcore64 and thanks for detailled firewalling instructions ! but by using stock Windows firewall (+BiniSoft WFC) it's "easy" to block exe files, but they're no (known) way to block dll.

Adding 127.0.0.1 register.waves.com to hosts file (after installation, before patch) also is a good idea IMO (plugin scans are more faster from DAW). This file is located under C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc, can be modified by using Notepad (or similar text editor). :excl: Administrator rights are required in order to save the altered file, however!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

With Windows you usually left click the file and choose Add to Firewall or, enter it manualy in the Firewall
    application. With Anti-Virus programs with built-in Firewalls, you navigate to the directory and use the
    wild card *.* to show all files in the file dialog. You then have to select one-by-one repeating this process.

Would be great to just check mark the files to add to the firewall.

5. webshark

webshark Member

Thanks for this but will the hosts file mentioned by mozart be sufficient enough as i have that done already? or do i need to do what u detaield. thank u

6. MozartEstLa

Right-click -> Add to firewall (or "Block through Windows firewall") from context-menu are working with exes (or shortcuts pointing to exe) but not dlls, I mean, by using stock Win7 firewall + Window Firewall Control (wizard tool for stock firewall). Using custom rule doesn't work too for dll, only executables (exe/com/icd files). But maybe it's possible (but I've a doubt) to block dll by using 3rd party firewall software (Zone Alarm, KIS or similar, I don't know). DLL's are designed to be used from EXE/COM and aren't executable "as-is" (as standalone).

EXE example, can be blocked (right-click):

[​IMG]

DLL example (from your list in your topic), sorry but can't be blocked (no menu entry about firewalling):

[​IMG]

Sorry no Photoshop on this test platform (only Paint). lol. and about this French Win7.

Joke apart... same principle about stock firewall GUI (not user-friendly), either as standard or advanced mode: only accepted extensions are .exe, .com and .icd (SafeDisc encrypted executables).

Regards.
    :bow:

7. webshark

webshark Member

He must of used 3rd party firewall because he must of blocked them locations somehow if he detailed them here. But does it matter if he have the hostfile done like you mentioned above?

8. MozartEstLa

About Waves, only known subdomain must be blocked (hosts file) is register.waves.com, since long time!
    Of course, not totally guaranteed (other hidden addresses/domains remain possible, in particular since Waves security reinforcements via Wave Central).

9. MozartEstLa

hosts mod is largely enough, I'm monitoring my network traffic (from router with analyzer), starting unblocked DAW (REAPER), opening any Waves plugin, closing it, VST2, VST3 etc.. and they're no connections attempts elsewhere. Of course, another firewall software/suite (brand?) may block dlls, but it's useless because dll aren't executable alone (outside exe/com, as container), anyway. It's the main reason many members here always said "block your DAW" (and never... "block your plugin"). :shalom:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. muse2love

muse2love Kapellmeister

Did the offline installer prep...and fallowed instructions correctly

When it starts to install

I get an error message saying please try again otherwise contact waves ?

11. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

as i said in the thread but no one replied, i have installed this in my secondary computer and it works with no problem, had to download the offline installer tho, but if i install this on my main computer, will my old projects still works ?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

As I mentioned, blocked DLL files is accomplished through a Firewall app included with an anti-virus program or
    standalone fire program. Windows 7 firewall has limited capabilities and is supposedly prone to attack as well.

DLL files are loaded most often by "svchost.exe"but sometimes by other means. IN the early days of
    windows, you could turn a dll into an exe file just by renaming. This worked for 90% of dlls then.

DLL files still contain executable code which could to phone home.

13. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I forgot to add that a clean install was done. Uninstalled V9 R30 and removed any registry entries associated
    with Waves Audio or Waves plugins. This was ensure no conflict issues.

In Reaper the VST3 Waveshell shows a complete list and ditto for Pro Tools and AAX.

14. MozartEstLa

Simply can you mention (please) which brand/model of firewall (or AV/FW suite) can block DLL too? also pertinent examples, links or tutos... Be sure this information will be interessing/useful for most people here (including me!). Thanks in advance.

Of course, svchost.exe is an example of DLL container, it's the central piece for Windows services, an important part of Windows OS. Another common used for dlls is "rundll32.exe" (background process oriented), working like SAVIhost (minimalist VST host, for one dll at time).

From DLL, developer can code in source any call he wants, for example launch current web browser executable (info from Registry) then open this URL precisely. Very easy to do from C++, Delphi or Visual Basic, even for begineer!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  15. muse2love

muse2love Kapellmeister

blocking or not...

It does not work on win 7

Seems to work only with Win10

16. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Most modern internet security/anti-virus programs with a firewall allow you to manage how the firewall
    is setup and what to block or let through.

McAfee, Kapersky, Avast, Bitdefender, etc...

17. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Yes. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

you didn't reply to my question, will my old projects work ?

19. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Yes...As long as your DAW knows where the plugins are and can load them, yes.

20. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

Zone Alarm will block DLL's i believe. Only if you set it to MAXIMUM and DefenseNet to manual.
    i Remember an old version of Sylenth (with modified GUI) that was calling home or somewhere else ...
    Caveat : As i remember i had to deny access everytime ( it didnt remember the ALWAYS DENY )

21. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

one last question, should i use the old waveshells on this too ?