Waves Bass Rider expert needed

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Bettey_Swalleaux, Mar 19, 2020.

1. I'm trying to use Waves Bass Rider on an upright bass part and have got it working well on the loud attacks and quieter fast notes but it jumps back up too quickly on long sustained notes.
    The last notes in each section are two bars long and meant to fade naturally before the next bit starts, but after clamping down the start of a sustained note, the volume jumps back to full about half way through the fade, which sounds ridiculous, and I can't work out how to stop this happening.

Please don't be smart and tell me to automate it manually - this is a question specifically about using Waves Bass Rider. If I find that it cannot handle sustained notes I'll dump Bass Rider as not fit for purpose and
    do it by hand, but if I can get it to do what I need then it might save a lot of time.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

This must've something to do with your settings. I made a short bass run with a 30secs note at the end and Bass Rider didn't change it in the fade out at all.

EDIT: I tried several settings and couldn't reproduce that strange behaviour.
    Maybe a routing issue? :unsure:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  4. Can't be anything to do with routing as it's just an insert on a single track. I think it's something to do with the sensitivity. I can set it so that one part works ok but then when the same bit is repeated in the next verse it goes back to the jumping-up-in-the-middle-of-the-fade behaviour.
    I can adjust the sensitivity so that part works, but then the previous verse is messed up again. In the second part, the level in the performance is slightly higher so it seems like the sensitivity and target settings are maybe a bit too sensitive.
    Have to automate the sensitivity I suppose, but that's making more work in a plugin that's supposed to reduce the work required.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. El digital

El digital Ultrasonic

Since Upright Bass is usually more dynamic/uneven than Electric Bass, Bass Rider is probably having a hard time dealing with it,. I would try some clean upward/downward dynamic processing in front of it. Most of the time, even in jazz pro recording, you'll find some compression and/or tubes at the front end, some more compression at the mixing stage and then a nice fader riding on top of it. But in my opinion, nothing beats the real deal. Automation, Sorry... ; ) I tried Bass and Vocal Rider, it works, it's a time saver, a shortcut... but in the end you can do a better job, exactly the way you want.