Waves Audio alternatives

Discussion in 'Software' started by shake_puig, Mar 29, 2023.

1. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

• Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  3. Smøkkimau5

Smøkkimau5 Ultrasonic

4. BlackWinny

BlackWinny Platinum Record

Waves announced today that they come back to the usual selling mode in parallel to the optional subscription.
    But in my humble opinion they have killed their reputation forever. Who could keep on trusting them when they are so crazy and disrespectful to their long time customers?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Ohhh this is so good! yesterday I was wondering what compressor API 2500 looked like, since I fell in love with it and have been using it on all the songs.
    Good info!

6. Barmaley (covid edition)

Barmaley (covid edition) Kapellmeister

Waves Audio alternatives:

2CAudio
    2nd Sense Audio
    BABY Audio
    Black Rooster Audio
    Blue Cat Audio
    Caelum Audio
    Cherry Audio
    Camel Audio
    Credland Audio
    Dialog Audio
    DMG Audio
    Dotec-Audio
    Excite Audio
    Forward Audio
    Future Audio
    GPU Audio
    Grimm Audio
    HEDD Audio
    Hotone Audio
    Initial Audio
    Kiive Audio
    Korneff Audio
    Kush Audio
    KV331 Audio
    Lancaster Audio
    Lindell Audio
    Longcat Audio
    LSR Audio
    Lunatic Audio
    LVC-Audio
    Minimal Audio
    Mogwai Audio Tools
    Mokafix Audio
    Otto Audio
    Parallax Audio
    Phi-L Audio
    Process Audio
    Pulsar Audio
    QuikQuak Audio
    Savant Audio Labs
    Schaack Audio
    Sattered Glass Audio
    Signum Audio
    SIR Audio
    Stillwell Audio
    STW Audio
    Submission Audio
    Sugar Audio
    Synapse Audio
    TBProAudio
    Togu Audio Line
    Trident Audio
    TSE Audio
    Type Writer Audio
    Unfiltered Audio
    Universal Audio
    VB-Audio
    XLN Audio

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

No Tokyo Dawn Labs, Fabfilter, u-he, Voxengo? You must be kidding. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

I changed the link so you can request access to edit and add more alternatives.

9. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

Soon as this list started to be shared in the other thread, Waves immediately called for an emergency zoom meeting from home, still have asleep, drooling on they boxers, sweatin' on they nuts when someone linked them that thread & they realized there was an alternatives list circulating. LOL

I didn't know what the big deal was since i ditched them already but when I heard they lock you out of future updates when you have been more loyal to Waves than to your wives, I couldn't believe it.

10. piggod

piggod Newbie

could analog obsession be an alternative to waves?

11. Semarus

Semarus Kapellmeister

If you only ever used Waves for EQs and Compressors, perhaps. Even so, I replaced what I used from Waves with Plugin Alliance plugs last year and never looked back.

12. BlackWinny

BlackWinny Platinum Record

The question is somewhat badly put.

It depends which type of plugin.

I would rather choose among true commercial developers for some kinds of plugins. And not necessarily expensive.

Semarus suggests Plugin Alliance as a good replacements for some of them. I agree.

There are also other excellent developers. Even in freeware (or in cheapware) plugins. But Analog Obsession would not be among my favorites, even if some of his plugins are relatively good.

It also depends if you're after plugins for synths or for guitars or for voices or for percs or for other types of instruments. Some companies make specialized effects for specific types of instruments. Even among the cheapware companies or the freeware developers.

For example for free or quite cheap (more or less the same price as Waves) guitars effects there are developers which are much much better than Analog Obsession. Have a look at these which are my favorites for that instrument (and except some of them they all provide also for other instruments):
    I put them in alphabetic order, to make you choose regard your own affinity instead of my own.

It also depends if your style of music is some old "analog-like" music, 70's/80's, or fully modern EDM music... Some developers make incredibly good old-style "coloured" effects which are not very usable on modern EDM music... and vice-versa.

So the best is to ask for each specific case.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  13. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I've used some Analog Obsession stuff in the past, but like Airwindows, you need to quadruple check if the plugin is working correctly or if there are corner cases where it starts doing crazy things.

I don't want to FEEL like I HAVE to use PluginDoctor for every AO plugin because I can't trust it 100% without investigating every nook and cranny. I'd rather just get plugins from someone who tests their stuff for correctness.

14. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

15. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Just out of curiosity, why would you want an alternative to Waves? I mean, if you actually WANT Waves products, just be clever about where you go to get it!

CoughCoughSistersiteCoughcough

16. dondada

dondada Rock Star

what kind of crazy things did you get with airwindows?

17. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Airwindows plugins that need to take sample rate into account (eg. plugins with filters) do not work correctly if you re-open / render them in a different sample rate than the one you were mixing/previously working in - or worse, they make no effort at all to work correctly for sample rates other than 96kHz (his ultrasonic filtering stuff). Originally, many Airwindows plugins only worked correctly in 44.1kHz. Half a decade ago he started updating his plugins for 96kHz, I think that's still on-going to this day. To cover sample rates above 96kHz, he invented 'undersampling' (as opposed to 'oversampling'). Whether that actually works I do not know. Only supposed to fix SRs above 96kHz in any case.

Most of his compressors are ... "idiosyncratic". Here's Pop2 at default settings:

upload_2023-5-15_20-6-24.png

The re-issue of AObsession's LALA (like 2-3 months back) was broken in a way that any amount of testing would've revealed before release:

[​IMG]

Here's AObsession's dbcomp. I don't know if this is 'correct', so I'll hold off judgment. But I'm very curious if someone with a different dbx160 plugin could share their PluginDoctor readings.

upload_2023-5-15_20-26-33.png