Waves announces: Butch Vig Vocals plugin

Discussion in 'Software News' started by theDingus, Jan 22, 2015.

1. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

[​IMG]

In their expanding range of Signatures Series plug-in Waves have now added the Butch Vig Vocals plug-in.
    Among the most influential rock producers of recent decades, Butch Vig has had a hand in shaping the sound
    of modern rock. From Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins to Foo Fighters and his own band Garbage, Butch has
    contributed his signature sound to some of the most legendary albums from the grunge era to the present.

The defining element of the “Butch Vig Sound” is his vocal stamp. Butch developed the sound of distorted
    vocals, and it is this sound that the Butch Vig Vocals plug-in is designed to faithfully recreate. This
    plug-in delivers straightforward vocal processing with pleasant distortion and lots of air frequencies,
    adding an uncompromising quality to any vocal track.

COMING SOON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzz43uV4CCQ

More INFO: Waves

3. copylefter

copylefter Producer

[​IMG]

If after 24hours you didn't figure out how to EQ/Compress voice,
    the clamps will close, your nuts will explode and you will bleed to death.

Let the game begin. :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

(I posted this meme elsewhere too but can't refrain to recycle it here)

That's what I call user-friendly *yes*

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

We forgive you copy. It was hilarious the first time and now everyone can enjoy the game of torture that Waves has created.

5. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

ha! Cat and CL, you guys both made me throw up in my mouth a little bit! I love Butch, (and you both know some things about him etc...), he is great, but these producer packs ARE getting silly... But I would still rather have HIS presets then CLA.... but that's just my personal opinion...

6. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

That's what i call a Steampunk GUI if there's one... :wow:

7. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

I wish they'd come out with more hardware emulation vsts instead of those "one click" vsts

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Exactly what passed through my mind. I love Steampunk style and colours... this GUI looks more like a work of art to me, but it would be so much easier to control this plugin if it had more simple GUI. This is what I call style over functionality. They overdid it. But it certainly looks beautiful. :wink:

9. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

I have emailed them and talk to him so many times and ask them if they are going to ever make a vocal alignment plugin like revoice pro still none

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Cash in! Cash in on the Butch Vig/Foo Fighters/Sonic Highways/Nirvana fame! Quickly. :wink:

He's still using Neve console, Summit TLA 100 compressors, SSL compressors and mics from Telefunken (Ela-m 250), Brauner, Beyer, Neumann, etc etc. Stuff that not that many have laying around.

Here's an interview of Butch made by Waves (aug 2014):
    http://www.waves.com/behind-the-music-with-butch-vig

11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I've seen a similar GUI for a Kontakt library that was all about mechanics and metal-y stuff. Using that type of GUI there made sense – for a vocal processor it does not!

12. Belarri

Belarri Member

looks like a F1 steering wheel :rofl:

13. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

retarted Don't release that Gui Waves

14. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Dat. Mine opinion too.
    I'm still amazed by his sound every time I listen to Nevermind :thumbsup:

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Which was mixed by Andy Wallace and mastered by Howie Weinberg. :)
    Anyone saw the (Grohl's) Sound City documentary, where Nevermind was recorded (with Butch as engineer)? -"Brown shag carpet...on the waaaalllls!".

16. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Ouch, he just produced that, you're right :wow:
    How can I forget it was Wallace, and I knew it too, I remember an interview talking about using of diy drum triggers well before they got widespread...
    Doh, me dumb *yes*

17. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

But the CLA Signature seems like it's the only one where somebody really spent time to conceptualize something useful. Esp the Vocal Plugin, the Efects and the Unplugged are really nice. Okay, the manny marroquin Delay, Distortion and Reverb is nice as well. But the Rest (JJP, Kramer and Maserati) is doodoo.

And the worst thing about it is: if you don't know what it is doing exactly you can't really develop your own skillset and recreate a certain vocal sound, cause you don't know who to set it up yourself. And just having a butchvig plugin won't result in having a good song. Musicians make music not fancy Plugins with industry icons putting their name on it :D

18. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

You not dumb! :), MOST of the work on the record and recording was done by Butch, they just sent it to wallace to make it more "radio friendly" at the time, to sit on the air with "November Rain" etc.... A few years ago they released the Butch Vig mixes and if they are not damn close to the wallace ones, they are better and more aggressive... Wallace seemed to kinda sandblast some of the dirt off them, for a reason, mentioned before, and Geffen wasn't quite sure what they had with the record... certainly no idea it was going to change the world... ... Butch is very meticulous and smart, (no pun intended ((name of his studio)) ).... His ideas of vocal chains etc on a lot of artists he has worked with has become part of their signature sound... He uses the right balance of analog AND digital gear to get the best of both worlds. These might be the only "artist" series ones I would care about, (unless Flood or Alan Moulder make some of course!), ...

19. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc2UuTkekLQ

20. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

thanks for the timely post dingus!

21. lyric8

lyric8 Producer