Watermarking in recent waves releases (r22-r26).

Discussion in 'Software' started by x1810, Apr 12, 2015.

1. x1810

x1810 Newbie

The R2R info always say "Bad Protections, just annoy the users. Bad Watermarks, just leak personal info when it is stolen".

Does that mean that these cracked waves releases cannot watermark your audio (as many suspected before) with personal info of the original buyer?

Hope someone knows the answer for this!
    Thank you.

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

No, it's their signature. :rofl:
    Relax. :wink:

Though watermarking in VST does exist. :wow:

4. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

It say so one EVERY nfo that R2R release even if it is a tiny little plugin for 5$ i suggest you take some time and read about this there are several topics about watermarking here i even think someone made a list of all the DEV:s that uses watermarking..

5. mono

mono Audiosexual

watermarking is so easy to do and after spending 100,s of man and woman hrs making a plugin what would you do ?
    watermarking comes in many shaps and the best ones are the ones you cant find /see or hear *yes*
    with some sound packs you can get two the same and check them with each other
    but with plugins there just a copy of the same plugin so it would be hard to tell
    if any of them did add watermarking of some sort,

6. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

nobody should care about watermarking IMHO

Whoever goes on a public media with a recording or playing live, is making money, so, if You earned some money using someone else tools, You should give him a piece of cake. (buy the tools or pay a pro who has the tools and will put his signature on Your record)

On the other hand, if You use it at home as a hobby, or to share a recording with a few of Your friends, or just experiment with Your band mates, nobody cares about You.

Waves ain`t made for a poor musician... it is aimed to Studio owners in the business, so, better choose something cheaper for mastering Your small band or Your "beats" ... something that will not eat away all Your earnings.

Of course, it is nice to try a new plugin to see what are the industry standards and to have some fun with it without paying for it, but keep it private; do not go public with it! ...common sense :wink:

7. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

Best of luck trying to sue anyone via a watermark ... case closed.

8. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

How does tne watermarking supposed to be happen ?
    When adding a plugin it writes certain samples when rendering ?

9. x1810

x1810 Newbie

I've read - I think - most of these topics. On this board and on others.
    Can you show me that list you're talking about? I couldn't find it, it would be great if you can share it with us!

10. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

It is too my understand thing, watermarking in vst's/au's etc: the watermarking is in the plugin itself. in the code as a particular signature to the OG purchaser. So if he gives it to a friend or whatever, and that friend gives it to a friend etc... and it goes in the "wild", then can trace which purchaser spread that particular plugin. It doesn't imprint anything on the audio.

watermarking in sample libraries: Some of the larger libraries will watermark particular samples, so with the same idea, if say, if "Piano in Blue" is spread all over, they can check the distributed library and again find out who the OG purchaser was, and trace that down to where the link occurred.

Once you "use" these things, it's not that if you submit something to beatport, iTunes , etc that they can tell you used them. It's more a problem of tracing the original purchaser and going from there.

I don't think they put "sonic" signatures on them (and by the time you have run it through whatever manipulation you do, whether it be a distortion, delay, pitch shift it, warp it, whatever..) they can ascertain it was an "illegal" version. I may be wrong on that, so please if someone else knows, call me out on that... but I feel fairly safe using certain k'd plugins on things, and releasing to to different commercial outlets.... and have for years without concern.

If anyone has any other anecdotal stories to the contrary, again, please feel free to correct me, as I am NO expert....

Waves was once infamous for "raiding" commercial studios and checking their systems for cracked versions of their software, and then they would have the studio owner by the short ones, and extort large amounts of money from them in lieu of prosecution. Hence why they left a bad taste in many people's mouthes....

11. cas

cas Noisemaker

How can I see the watermark? Program? thanks

12. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

you need to hold it up to the light at the right angle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  13. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Take a screenshot of the folder where You installed the plugin, and than print it... than You follow realitybytez directions (it must be a UV light!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. x1810

x1810 Newbie

Okay, let's get back to the original question just a tad. Does anyone know if R2R actively removed any supposed watermarking code from these recent releases?

Thank you!

15. copylefter

copylefter Producer

No, there's no watermarking so there's nothing to remove. How an installer download directly from their site without an account can be watermarked?
    :dunno:

Guys, audio watermarking is a thing (and very hard to see it implemented in a plug-in). The watermarking you hear about is on binary, to track customers if a product get leaked.

16. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

thank you... I don't know why so many people are confused on THAT point... :mates: :bow: :bow: :wink:

17. x1810

x1810 Newbie

True, but that's how the rumors go. That the plugins watermark the exported audio. Fraunhofer also say they can do it.

18. x1810

x1810 Newbie

Gentle bump for that one.

19. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Copylefter already explained that there is no watermarking. It doesn't even make sense in this case.

20. x1810

x1810 Newbie

I understand Copylefter's point, but does that confirm that watermarking only exists in the binary? There has been plenty of rumors (on many forums) about the exported audio (or the audio sent from a Waves plug-in to the DAW in general) being watermarked. And even though it seems a bit far fetched, some companies claim to have developed and/or patented such a technology.

21. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I have never heard of ANYONE to get in trouble for exported audio in this kind of case. It is a scare tactic.