Watermarked Sound Libraries : How and Who ?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Studio 555, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

Watermarked Sound Libraries

Myth or Reality ?​

How and Who ?​

Despite that this topic has probably already been discussed extensively within our Forum, I think that the following could be of interest for some of you, mainly for users of Sound Libraries (Kontakt)... *yes*

THE FACTS...

[​IMG]

...SOME OF THE 'FAMOUS' SOUND LIBRARIES DEVELOPERS USING THAT METHOD

[​IMG]

More info and details about that Company of Watermarking process can be found here :

http://www.continuata.com/

3. franknitty69

franknitty69 Newbie

they can watermark all they like :rofl:

4. Catnaps

Catnaps Newbie

I wouldn't worry about it though, just pay for the things you use in your productions and keep your receipt.

5. oidua

oidua Member

I find it interesting that they promise to "..protect your digital products from privacy".
    Very funny and probably true. *no* *yes*

6. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

man if you use a loop of chop a loop up to to change it a little they are not going to listen every independent song that would take them 99 years :rofl: only if some one is lucky enough to have one of there song go Big that you have to think about it and like i have said before Before the song is re-lest just Buy the kit/library and you are covered

7. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Yeah, but this type of watermark wouldn't really be about stopping guys from using copied stuff on their tracks.

What they claim is that if they spot a library that's being shared, they can use one of the copies to identify the original and block the guy who bought that library from further access to their products. But has anybody ever heard of this actually happening to anybody :dunno:

The threat about prosecution is just scare tactics, cause there would be no way to prove for sure how that library got copied in the first place.
    At least until NSA starts adding music producers to their kill list…

8. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

So your telling me that it protects by adding a code that is embedded to the sound? And this code prevents the buyer from sharing because the code is specific to his/her/it's library? Interesting to say the least. *no*

9. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

look bitches I'm an undercover FBI and Imma 'bout to bust all your asses..oh wait shit...

10. hfeuhfz7342hf724

hfeuhfz7342hf724 Noisemaker

Not embedded in the sound but only in the library data. So nothing to worry about when producing and publishing. :wink:

11. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

I think the safe and effective method would involve library developers joining hands, defining a single watermark decode protocol and having it linked to places like Youtube and Soundcloud. So basically, whenever you upload anything on these popular sites, the server checks for blacklisted costumer identifiers and turns down your upload. This would mean paying for the technology, paying YT/SC for their service...I don't think the industry is ready for it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

As for the article and Continuata system, they are claiming to only watermark the library data and not the audio watermarking, deterrent for habitual sharers but nothing that would stop pirate musicians from uploading music made with pirated libraries.

12. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

If you want to live a secure life - watermarked libraries wise - buy your libraries personally!

Thats what a lot of people do!

*yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes* *yes*

Thats all!

13. LV-426

LV-426 Newbie

OK. A friend and I, have at one time, closely studied this problem. We have disassembled and explored the code installers for 8Dio and Soundiron.

In fact, we found that in the compilation of the installers, was included a kind of "WinZip" for an automatic decompression, including a script that could watermarked the files.

The solution we have found is to stop the installer, just after it have downloaded the files, via the 'Task Manager'. Which prevents possibly at files, to being watermarked.

So, I also analyzed with an HF-6060 in my Studio ICP, differences between a fully library installed with the 8DIO installer and of Soundiron, and a library installed as described above. After many hours of analysis, I have not find differences between the both.

You should know that a library purchased without having to go through an installer, contains no watermarks!

And finally, if you use a library for composition that will be broadcast on radio waves, or an mp3 and CD who will to be marketed, I strongly advise you to buy it..!

Remember: try and if you like, buy it.
    *yes*

14. oidua

oidua Member

At Audioz there's today 2 releases "Glitchmachines VULCAN & SPIRAL" and if you check their homesite there's a notion that says:
    "All audio files are embedded with Soundminer metadata, which can be used to search the library"

Nice.

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

this brings them all nothing, when there are people who use stolen credit cards and paypal accounts to buy things to leak.
    as you can was done for the cinematic strings 2 :)

i was thinking about this the other day.
    @LV-426 - thanks for the information.

16. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

If it's in the audio, it can be broken. THing is, that they don't describe how they watermark the audio so it's a bit hard to start cracking it. But, there is something similar for movies: cinavia. Based on the wikipedia description, I came up with some completely untested methods which may work with some modifications: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1642285#post1642285 .

17. DanteUruzu

DanteUruzu Kapellmeister

Saw this while looking at a Kontakt Instrument on KVR today.

Soundminer

18. oisinn

oisinn Ultrasonic

This is the question: Has there been any, even just ONE, documented instance of a sound library developer identifying and declaring that a commercially released recording contained and used their watermarked sounds without purchase or license just by analysis of the file or listening to the recording.
    Just let me know.

19. cassmanbangavag

cassmanbangavag Newbie

these water marks are usually only there to stop people from reselling the raw samples
    \
    \these companies spend lots of money recording these samples and people try to just repackage them or sell them in un-offical online stores or even on the street in real life
    \
    \that is why they use them
    \
    \i doubt they could ever get you for using them in a moxed track becuase the data just wouldn't be there
    \
    \but if they bought it from a bootlegger they could pull the raw data and match it

20. LV-426

LV-426 Newbie

These Watermarks have been just announced for spunk the shit and scared the users. :excl:

21. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Some excellent suggestions in the doom9 thread, however the DVDRanger Whitepaper on Cinevia indicates that the effective frequency range for the watermark is from 400hz to 4khz, this makes the SBR suggestion useless, however it was very good suggestion. Also, I don't think the technology works only in phase domain, it utilizes both phase and frequency domains.

Using an exciter is an excellent suggestion and somebody should try it. But no matter what you do, the audio quality is lost hence the "BEST" method would involve cracking the firmware of the hardware players.

As for people complaining about Soundminer metadata, that is not watermarking, it just some tags to assist you in searching through the libraries using the audio archive management software Soundminer. The metadata is not recognized by your DAWs and not forwarded in the final mix, the said libraries don't mark audio for each individual copy.