Watch Kenny Gioia pretend like reaper doesn’t suck

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Misterguywick, Feb 20, 2020.

1. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Noisemaker

After really giving reaper a try I can say that it really is somehow broken down at the core and the only thing that seems pitch perfect is basic audio editing - cut, stretch, fade, draw basic envelopes and export all of that in a certain fast manner in any format and it will also work with any format, kinda similar like VLC in video world, and plugins are also useful for basic audio editing - it really does good audio editing that isn't destructive but other than that, whenever you do something anything more musical, at certain point it stops you with something - it's not a musical daw, it's a technical daw

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Only glitch that I could detect was the delay running into the first note at the loop restart. Easy FX automation or item fade fix.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  3. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Am I the only one who likes Kenny? His voice is great, and the way he talks is perfect for a beginner who is trying to follow along with his instructions. Clear and concise. I think he has done a lot for Reaper, judging from the comments he gets under his videos.
    Now what glitch am I supposed to be hearing? Because I don't notice anything strange.
    I gave up on Reaper personally because I couldn't handle its complexity. It feels very unintuitive. But if you are a pro and know exactly what you want, it can be your audio heaven.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Goodie

Goodie Member

I like Kenny. I loved his videos on Pro Tools producing and mixing, and on using Eventide effects before I even realized he is a multiple Grammy winner. I have never used Reaper but I still watch his videos on that DAW. People may say what they want to say here but give one DAW that does not have issues.

5. RealBananas

RealBananas Kapellmeister

I don't get the OP's argument. In the video the metronome is switched off at the beginning at the 2nd iteration of this short passage, therefore of course the event of turning off can be heard.
    There is no obvious problem noticeable with regard to looping/timing/dropouts.

6. lancexx

lancexx Producer

I feel the same about Kenny, its almost impossible to misunderstand what hes saying and he enunciates very clearly. I think too many people are used to tutorial guys trying to be your friend and act "interesting". Its off topic but it reminded me of a Harrison video series I trying to watch and had to stop like every 2 minutes because the dude had the weirdest accent that sounded like a fake version of a bunch of accents mixed together, hard to explain but it made me appreciate Kennys approach to speaking in videos.
    https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Harrison-Mixbus-5-Explained
    If anyone is interested in what I'm referring to.

7. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

That is a bit of a challenge. Kinda sounds aussie-ish. Nevertheless its just a different sorta listening challenge from this kenny fella. 8-D

8. juggz143

juggz143 Kapellmeister

I'm gonna add another vote for, it seems like the anomaly you speak of is just the metronome. Tho I'll admit I'm not a fan of reaper for anything other than tracking lol ...so there's that.

9. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

i recorded/produced classical choirs,folk, rock, elektro,pop, spoken word metal etc in Reaper with great success. never had a glitch or crash. yes it can be very deep if you want it to be or you can navigate the surface like in garageband. people want expensive stuff so they can feel superior (Apple/Cubase/Pro Toolz/. but it's true Reaper is not for the faint hearted . i have absolutely no idea what the OP was talking about, turning off the metronome for the loop? even midi loops can have fade ins/outs in reaper, by default a very short one is on, maybe that?

10. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

if you can't hear it then that's your problem, loads of people have experienced this problem, just cause you hacve.t or canr percieve, it doesn't mean you should get smart mouthed.
    google.png
    this thing has been happening for years (this was said 4 years ago about the issue and still exists today)
    time.jpg

2020.png

the guys that keep saying I don't know how to use reaper are pretty weird. what does knowing how to use reaper have to do anything with looping midi correctly. why should hit up setting, or record midi in a specific way? really for midi loop to correctly? crazy

11. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

no. waste of time

raler blog.png blog.png

12. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

no its clearly a glitch. thats not a clean loop

13. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

nasty comment

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  14. odod

odod Rock Star

i had this problem a long time a go which has been fixed by set CC Overrides to cc64 to 0 .. VOILA problem solved
    and to me this is just a small problem aside of Reaper's powerful features with their JS and other scary stuffs,
    btw, i loved Kenny's style of talking, no bullshit and no "salesman style" .. and yeah, i will wait for you to make something useful tutorial instead of mocking others ..

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

My exact argument. why must i go under the hood so reaper loops correctly. that's embarrasing

and I

Didn't mock anyone. I just pointed out he chose to ignore this glitch and upload the video like we're all stupid sheep. literally can't you see everyone else speaking about the way he articulates himself?
    no you cant its easy to ride the wagon i guess.
    clap for yourself!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

it is a stuck note how can you not hear it>?

17. Moms_little_pirate

Moms_little_pirate Kapellmeister

Yeah, you just happened to name the attached file "kenny shithead.wav". Imagine having this level of resentment toward someone making free tutorials that you can choose to not watch. Incredible.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  18. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Of course, no other DAWs have forum problem posts like the above. Yeah, right. And for something so incredibly tiny.
    Like said before: don't like it, don't use it. Don't try to make it look like it's worst than any other daw to prove a point and to laugh at it like some child.
    Most of the people here left grade school some time ago.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  19. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Funny you say that Reaper sucks, yet it's the fastest growing DAW on the market.

20. tun

tun Rock Star

just watched again and i didnt notice any stuck notes. which note?