Waste of time

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wisley, May 20, 2022.

1. Wisley

Wisley Member

Today, this term is heard a lot, and almost everyone feels that they are wasting their time at least once a day.
    • Do we have to do useful things at all times of our lives to feel that our time is not wasted?
    • Is useful thing a work that money is made by doing that?
    Before the emergence of the Internet and social networks, most people in the physical world were doing physical tasks and felt less like this, but now, due to new types of communication and entertainment with them, the feeling of wasting time has become a global phenomenon.
    • Is there any way to get rid of this feeling? Because this feeling is very bad and blocks many thoughts and reduces the feeling of enjoying life.
    :thumbsdown:

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. birdboi

birdboi Producer

For me, if I feel like I am satisfied with how much I have made progress on, whether a song, edit, or a game in general, I would say I didn't waste my time.
    However if I just spend time on a video game just to play it then I feel like I wasted time and could've done something more productive.

You need to rewrite that second question, it makes no sense.

To answer your third question, I have actually thought about this question before, and I am still not sure. I still really enjoy playing that game but I know it's a waste of time sometimes and I wanna do something else but can't help myself and play more.

This is just 1 section of the whole story. I only went through being productive digitally or in a PC, nothing real life related included.

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I just wasted 10 seconds reading this post :unsure:

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I'm at an age where wasting time is all I'm interested in. And eventually I'll die, and that's cool.

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

it is twitter/facebook induced ADHD. :guru:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Wisley

Wisley Member

Is making money the best way of using time efficiently and getting rid of the feeling of wasting time?

8. usernone

usernone Producer

Procreate. You'll have no more time to waste. :wink:

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

Depends on your job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

So, your thread is essentially a statement, where is the question?
    That reminds me of someone...:cool:
    I will not make a theory about that, it's just me. But every day, I have ideas and energy for 48h00 so honestly, don't like to wait, aka lose my time. Luckily, I'm free enough of organize my living so there is a minimum of time unused.
    That said, contemplative time is not a waisted of time for me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. PsychaYogi

PsychaYogi Noisemaker

Define "Time"

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

We are adapting more and more to the machines.

Always do the opposite of the others, waste time on purpose, take your time, don't be rushed, do nothing, just sit
    there and let your thoughts run free, just don't play along and you will become a calm, balanced, healthy person.
    Be critical - question everything and think for yourself.

Dear @Wisley, here's a reading tip for you:

Ego: The Game of Life (English Edition) 1. Auflage, Kindle Ausgabe
    https://www.amazon.de/Ego-Game-English-Frank-Schirrmacher-ebook/dp/B018UEIM2K

Frank Schirrmacher - Ego (Book) The game of life

This is the story of a manipulation: sixty years ago, the theoretical model of a human being was developed by military men and economists. A selfish being who was only concerned with achieving his goals, with his advantage and tricking others: a modern homo economicus. After his career in the Cold War, he was not discarded, but conquered the everyday life of the 21st century. Today, stock markets are controlled by him, and so are people. He wants to get into people's heads in order to sell goods and politics.

The model has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. A new social monster is growing up, composed of egoism, mistrust and fear, which can't help but always assume the worst in others. And nothing that is said still means what it means. Man has been replaced as the bearer of his decisions; the great game of life runs without us. Frank Schirrmacher traces the trail of this monster and makes it clear that the unintended consequence of its game could be the end of democracy as we know it today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

A human being's worth is not measured in productivity.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I think you just described unbounded and unregulated capitalism.

15. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I'm thirsty now... but I do mean the lager and not threads like these :no:

16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Frank Schirrmacher - Payback (Is probably only in German - I have not found an English edition)
    How do we regain control of our thinking in the information age?

Product description

What was I about to do? Almost everyone is familiar with the new forgetfulness and the almost pathological increase in concentration disorders. There is a lot more behind it than just being overwhelmed. We know more than ever before and yet we are constantly afraid of missing the most important things. Man is not only a carnivore and herbivore, he is also an information glutton. Information is advantage, and in the information food chain, the winner is the one who sends and receives messages most quickly and effectively. But this new form of Darwinism means that we can no longer distinguish what is important and what is not.

Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung | Review from 12/24/2009
    FRANK SCHIRRMACHER, co-editor of this newspaper, has written a book about cognitive overload in the digital age. This ego exhaustion is not due to the technologies, but to the fact that only what is compatible with computers is encouraged and demanded in people. Under the pressure to text, tweet, and Google, our brains are changing so that we are increasingly locked into the laws of computer logic.

The way out of the digital predictability of life that Schirrmacher describes lies not in refusing technology, but in a new way of thinking that makes people aware of their strengths: creativity, tolerance and the ability to deal with the unpredictable. (Frank Schirrmacher: "Payback. Why we are forced to do what we don't want to do in the information age, and how we can regain control over our thinking. Karl Blessing Verlag, Munich 2009. 240 p., hardcover, 17.95 [euros].)

The author pointed out the phenomena of the abundance of information on internet, social media actually got 2 characteristics: synchronicity and multitasking. These 2 caused us unable to focus. That is not all, we tend to be forgetful and feel fatigue.
    According to Maryanne Wolf, reading should allow our brain to liberate, free to think, but with overloaded information, we lost the power to even filter what are the necessary information.

• List
  17. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

Define "waste".

18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

be an artist gif.gif

19. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

:beg: Oh Wisley one... please tell me...
    :beg: What is this 'feeling of enjoying life' to which you refer?
    :beg: What must I do to achieve this?
    :beg: Who's time must I waste?
    :beg: Please tease me no more - Oh Wisley one - I need to know.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. clone

clone Audiosexual

"O is For Oxygen".

21. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Jeremy Rifkin - A history of the future – the world in 2025 - 31 January 2017