warping differences between Ableton and DJ software like Traktor or Serato?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by semilla, Dec 29, 2017.

1. semilla

semilla Ultrasonic

So I'm kinda new here and had a weird question

I've been DJ'ing with Ableton for about 6 months now and I've been noticing how even at the "Complex Pro" warp setting that comes with Ableton, it doesn't really sound too great compared to like pitch shifting or tempo shifting in Traktor. I feel like it always sounded different from Ableton.. even the effects like simple lowpass filters sound so different from say like Ableton or Logic. They just sound a little different to me but it might just be my fault ears .. either way it would be cool to see what you guys think ..
    Peacee

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. loCurnus

loCurnus Ultrasonic

ableotn live is based on granularSynthesis, and traktor is NOT.
    the ableton warping section is a science at his own. try to learn the syntheses there are out there, and most of your questions will be answered wif this.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

Mos def my man, it's a different software. What's the question?

5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah you're not wrong. Ableton's warping algorithm has taken a lot of criticism over the years. They're revised it in Live 9.5 to sound better, but it's still somewhat behind Elastique.

Might be worth mentioning that they have several warping algorithms in Live and depending on what the audio source is you can find a different algorithm to sound better

Also, if you're looking to learn you should check out the rest of Slynk's channel

6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Weird. Whatever, I'm wrong then. My opinion that Live's time stretching sounds less natural than many other DAWs is pretty common though.

7. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

While we are at it, anybody got some recommendation for the best software for time stretching vocals ?

8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Same lol. Better to not sweat it much. Good talk.

9. semilla

semilla Ultrasonic

Hey guys, just wanna say thanks for actually replying to my post, I didn't really know what to expect since I am very new to the community :wink:

I actually didn't know about the Z plane algo. That's kind of what my question was about. I knew I wasn't crazy hahaha.
    Like I said in the OP, I love using Ableton for writing music and DJ'ing. it's so fun and intuitive, but only if I stay within the OG bpm of the songs. Otherwise it starts to sound "artifacty" and weird. most of the time I can brush it off since I'm DJ'ing mostly House and my set usually lives in the 125-130 BPM world, But I remember when it became super apparent was when someone that has never even DJ'd or even touched a DAW told me the song sounded funny, and once I paid attention he was absolutely right. I feel like Ableton has a lot of trouble with Tracks that have a lot of vocals, especially Rap. But honestly, it's like specific tracks that have problems, some songs sound great time stretched.

For creative use however, the warp modes are awesome. I love them all, especially the "BEATS" algo which always makes my drum hits snappier and shorter.

I'm excited to see, what Ableton 10 is bringing to the table as far as Warp modes go, I haven't really looked into the new features too much but I don't remember it being mentioned, maybe you guys can enlighten me?

Bottom line, I love Ableton, but I think I might have to go back to Traktor for performing :dunno: