Warning Re Pro Tools 11

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by Frubbs, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

Pro Tools 11 is smoking fast, but the new video engine is a complete rewrite, and it will not work with any video if PT is installed in a system that has, or has EVER had, Media Composer (or Symphony) version 6 or earlier installed. If this applies to you, either create a new boot drive/partition, or reformat and start over with the current one; you can never find all the prefs and various codec identifiers that flag it as incompatible with the new engine, uninstalling MC does NOT delete them all. I can tell you this from bitter facility experience. It does work with MC 7, but it's very particular about how you install the two. Frankly, I'd avoid any co-install of these two programs on the same boot drive, whatever the version, until at least the next major release. My experience is with an all-OSX facility, but from what I understand the incompatibility is platform-independent.

3. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

Nice to know.......thanks! :mates:

4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you Frubbs this is a very important information.

See why some people just get illegal software?
    Can you just go on trail against Avid for that after you bought the program for €677.11? I guess not.

5. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

In fairness to Avid, the incompatibility was inevitable given the complete redesign to fully implement the 64-bit architecture. The failure, as I see it, is in their communication - both with their loyal installed users and with those just jumping in. I work in a facility with nearly 200 systems housing both programs, and our recent upgrades to PT11 and MC6.5 were made at the same time directly through Avid. Somewhere a flag that should have gone up didn't. In fact a red-letter warning about this should be all over Avid's website and all their PT and MC communications; as it is I had to burrow through the tech documents deep in their website to find the one compatibility paper our techs had missed that stated the facts, in terms that made it rather easy to overlook even then. Our techs had to reformat and reinstall everything, this time with Pro Tools 10 (except in the mix rooms, where MC's never been). The Avid user forum is boiling over with confused and angry complaints about the compatibility issue. All this could have been avoided by being straight and clear with the user base up front.

6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Ok Frubs "incompatibility was inevitable given the complete redesign " but do they give your money back if this was important for you?

I have 5 different product from Avid, not all related to music, hardware and software, they have the worst client service I've ever seen. They sell hardware products without updating drivers and so on.

Well with the AAX decision they just show how much they respect their clients. Now what do you do with your old rtas plugins?

This topic is about an Avid product but there are too many enterprise that do similar policy, I call this "Buy and va fan culo" policy.

And clients do not have a way to protect themselves from this.

So that's one of the reasons piracy become an option.

7. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

I understand your frustration Olymoon, and I share a lot of it, but I think it's important to distinguish between needless money-grabs (such as discontinuing the software-only HD version of PT, replacing it with a required non-DSP card) and major software enhancements that advance the tools significantly (such as the new audio and video engines, and the full adoption of 64-bit architecture). I'm willing to accept the latter, but only if its restrictions and adjustments are properly spelled out, not sprung on the user who's left to research an explanation online. That's just bad management.