Don't download Udemy's tutorials

Discussion in 'Education' started by The King, Apr 24, 2024.

1. The King

The King Guest

Udemy, Inc. produces any training you can think of. Most of their instructors are inexperienced instructors who have agreed to produce content for this company for a small amount of money.

This company produces the most worthless and worst educational videos and does not value newbies in any way. The aim of this company is not to provide correct training, but most of the training it gives is misleading. Major music professors are not willing to produce educational content for this company, and as a result, the only option to refer to are people with little education and little experience in the field of music.

God knows how many people have been misled and confused by watching the videos of this company. As far as I know Udemy is a Turkish-Indian company and its objective is really nothing but material profit and it does not care at all about the fate of its students.

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Interesting x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Kapellmeister

so youtube tutorial is better than udemy?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  4. The King

The King Guest

This company does not want its real identity to be known. Even when you enter the office section in their site, they only show you these photos. And they don't publish real photos of their offices.

2024-04-24_143934.jpg

• Interesting x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • List
  5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

there was a decent RE tutorial, which was okay to run through. but i agree in general udemy produces useless tutorials.

Yet people still buy memberships ...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Kelsier

Kelsier Ultrasonic

Some of the AWS Certified courses are pretty much top quality on Udemy

7. The King

The King Guest

I made a simple search for the offices of this company, these images are on the Internet which most of them are 3D drawings.

16023.MM_.Udemy_.005-700x305.jpg
    frondesk-scaled.jpg
    rmw-udemysf-9688-Rev-700x467.jpg
    rmw-udemysf-9723-Rev-700x448.jpg
    6d62bf23cc74864f90aa5f182c4035ea.jpg

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • List
  8. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Producer

i see udemy more like as an intermediate between the student and the teacher, not as an schooling institution.

i don't think its udemy that produces its content

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. The King

The King Guest

This company is most likely laundering money and has been able to circumvent the laws by being secretive and fraudulent. The users of this site probably do not know these things.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. eyngii2

eyngii2 Member

The tutorials are not even good.

11. Danny Torpedo

Danny Torpedo Newbie

I have downloaded a Udemy tutorial on Mastering and i think it's actually one of the best tutorials i've seen so far. Maybe it's not a bad thing that the instructor is not a music professor. Most instructors use tons of expensive plugins and are not connected to beginners imo. I think that Udemy stuff is focused on real beginners, what makes them easy to follow.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I agree, most of the courses are really crap. But not all. I've taken some that wer worth the money. But those are indeed exceptions.
    Yes I don't think they want quality stuff. What they really want is mass so that they can say "we have 1 Million courses online and are the biggest platform on the web" or so. And all they seem to aim for is money. Low cost low quality is the strandard they set. And at the end of the story, their goal is to be bought for a lot of money. I am referring exclusively to the company.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udemy
    Starting on their IPO in 10.2022 with $27,5 that fast plummeted down to ~ $10 and now stays between $9 and $16 since for the last two years. Even a shit of an investment.

The tutors really make an effort. However, they often lack real in-depth know-how and also the didactic basics

Looks like Autodesk 3ds max stock inventory pictures. Seriously. You can render something like that with 3ds max in 10 minutes. Too perfectly clean, too perfectly illuminated.
    And thus doesn't mean to exist in real life.

On average the quality is on par.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  13. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Medical and Education are some of the most profitable business. As weird as it sounds, 80% of the politicians here either own a hospital or private university. 100% of the private college in my country are owned by politicians, someone debunked it few months ago which is really a weird coincidence but article also said how education business is really a gold mine these days.

About UDEMY, it's just a platform, I never found a single good tutorial from them from maybe close to 100 that I've watched, I mostly watch the Graphic Design subject and for Audio, just some new product feature video, like Izotope or something, which I picked up on the sister's site. The graphic design one are made by some youtuber I like. I never bought any and I dont think they are worth my money. Their target are mostly newbies and they don't really do a screening or anything for the instructors which is not really a bad thing in its entirety IMO, a platform that let any content creator to sell their content. The cons will always be the quality for things like that and those that bought the content can only judge it after they bought the course. Can't do anything about that. I think I agree with OP that no one should really buy it, if they really want it, maybe find something that made by someone with adequate skill set that you already know from other platforms.

It's hard to say about good and bad content these days because our needs are totally different. I have a friend who is a real math teacher and a really good one and she's using TikTok as platform to post educational content. Not stupid dance, it's a real content, paid quality but free. She has like 1 mil followers or something the content is exceptionally good for High School math but think about when anyone said "Oh I learn that from TikTok", not a single soul on the first impression would think it's a quality content.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  14. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Sure Stevie, that's true. But that doesn't seem to apply to Udemy. They've had so many rounds of funding because they just don't become profitable.
    And I think that's because Udemy is really just a platform (like an ebay for schooling) and doesn't give a shit about quality.
    That's why we can't compare them to a serious educational institution like a university.
    I think they'll be bought out by an investor in the foreseeable future, who will clean up the mess and then things can get better.
    In my opinion, quality is the only trump card in education.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Not sure I agree with the op. Yes, there is a lot of crap on there, and its up to you as the customer to pay attention to what you are buying. However, some of their Ableton Certified courses and their Ableton Push Primed and Ready courses are good quality Ableton courses, with the Push one being one of the best Push-specific courses.

Some of their Microsoft Azure and AWS courses are good quality too.

I just think that you, as the customer, have to take responsibility for researching what you are buying. Yes, Udemy focus on quantity over quality to make money, but that does not mean there isn't quality content on there. It's up to you as the customer to find them, and whilst that's not ideal clearly, it doesn't mean they are a worthless educator, just that they are less than ideal in the way they help you identify the quality content, which would be a fair criticism of them based on my experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Barry T

Barry T Producer

For once, I agree with you. Though there may be a few exceptions, Udemy is utter trash. Quantity over quality to the extreme.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. odod

odod Rock Star

I agree with you!! I downloaded some from the sister site .. meh, the instructor does not even know what they're doing. NO More UDEMY stuffs for me

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. DonaldTwain

DonaldTwain Kapellmeister

You're blaming Udemy for the instructor's faults? Weird stance to take...

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. DonaldTwain

DonaldTwain Kapellmeister

I'm currently going through a really good trailer music course from Udemy. It's not the platform's fault if you bought crap, it's yours for not researching the instructor(s)!

20. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

What he said is totally valid IMHO
    Udemy describes itself as a company in Investors Overview...:
    A company has certain obligations of its own, namely to at least live up to its own claim:
    "Udemy’s mission is to transform lives through learning by providing flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals. ... bla bla bla"

As a rule, they do not offer an effective way to develop skills, as they claim.
    This would require a not insignificant degree of verifiable quality from the teachers. According to their claim, it would be Udemy's duty to check and ensure this. Yes, an online learning platform must define the quality of teaching and exclude inadequate courses.
    Since this is not the case, the whole mission statement is invalid.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  21. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

One who can, does. One who cannot, teaches.

• Disagree x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List