Wanted your thoughts on my latest mix?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Brendan, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

Not sure if my mixes are getting better or worse... Been bussing everything, using compression with intention, trying to balance elements, create somewhat decent arrangements, and not drown a mix in effects since my mentor (an audio engineer im working with) said people my age (20's) tend to use WAAAY to many effects. Now that I've had the privledge to work with artists, I see just how little they need. (in fact so little that to us producers it sounds boring but the vocals are center stage)

LATEST MIX -

MIX OTHERS SEEM TO LIKE -

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

it sounds good and it's not swimming in effects, like you mention. I think you maybe pushed that a little far with your clap, and it could be a little less dry; maybe delayed, softened, or something.

4. ricbm710

ricbm710 Kapellmeister

Sounds great to me. Interesting drum beat. Good transitions to keep it dynamic. Good ending.
    At 3:18-3:36 (probably the final chorus) you added some extra arp melodies with a bright pad that could add some epicness and a fuller sound to that section but they seat too quiet in the background imo.
    Also at 3:55-4:17 there's some kind of excessive compression or sidechaining going on. The second clap on every bar sounds muddier and quieter.

Keep it up and put some vocals on it!

5. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

First sounds way too subdued at the start -0everything is vers 2 sounds crisp and clean and wellplaced

6. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

I know you're asking about the mix rather than the song...

But I agree with the comment about adding vocals.
    At the moment, it's not got a strong enough melody as an alternative to a vocal hook, so the track could be currently be half it's duration and still say everything it has to say.