Wanna buy a mac, teach me if its the right choice please!

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Retrolize77, Sep 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dingoday

dingoday Member

Not really unless you go with win10 or keep the updates on on 7.

Only reason for me to ever choose mac would be if i really really liked logic. No other reason ever. Windows is very stable and fast if you know how to set it up and refrain from downloading it full of crap

2. dingoday

dingoday Member

Might be the power setting on windows? Atleast on win7 unless you chance it to the high performance from power plan, it will take just about 30% off from cpu processing power and it really shows on projects. This would be horrible on laptop. Just my thoughts as to why it might be

3. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Sorry if I can't help but I went the way of hackintosh and very happy with it. It has its small querks but it's solid.

4. Nigol

Nigol Member

you bounced a lot but still very impressive

5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Errrr... You come from Cupertino, California perhaps ? :hahaha:
    This neighborhood in particular ?
    Apple Park.jpg
    Sure, just ask Louis Rossman:rofl:
    Hhmmm, like who exactly please? Last time i checked thw world's largest company, Moving Pictures, uses Linux & Windows farm servers. Windows workstations for creative too. Perhaps they have a MacBook to check mail lol.
    Blender users all went for Threadripper, 2 years ago already.
    Houdini pros use Linux and Windows comps (with Windows being the fastest in OpenGL), macOS is slow in OpenGL and with poor support.
    VFX pros all went for Threadripper and now they even go for AMD Epyc 64core servers. Linux and Windows. Again no macOS.
    DaVinci Resolve (BlackMagic's once keen Apple supporter/partner) is now also a two way debate, Linux or Windows.
    Some may think the new MacPro will cut Apple some slack but it won't, it has to battle with much more powerful machines running Windows Server and Linux distros. No or low support for OpenGL and no Nvidia means Macs are screwed in the post industry and will remain so until Apple end their feud with Nvidia.
    So what kind of post industry is the one you talk about, small 1-2 person studios with an iMac and Final Cut lol ? Even Apple themselves ask for Premiere as a prerequisite for their own job positions:
    https://fstoppers.com/news/even-apple-ashamed-final-cut-x-104018
    PS: The only Apple product i can see selling widely in the post industry, is the new Pro Display XDR. And with a 3rd party stand lol.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record

No. I work in Sydney, Australia. I have a share in a post house that deals with film makers, designers, audio and video post, music and v/o production, etc. We work with studios and PP partners and clients in London, Singapore and (occasionally) LA. Almost without exception everyone of these houses is essentially mac based.

Just stating the facts on the ground from where I stand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

OP wanted to discuss a mac for making some music on, no talk of 'Post', guys @taskforce @garfinkle
    Should there be a distinction between systems used for business aspects of industry, and systems used for creation of an artistic medium? Plus, I may be using an Atari 1040st running Pro24 with an S-900 and a drum machine, bouncing down to any number of choice daw.

For most of us, I think it's safe to say that having used Emagic Logic since the '90s, we didn't see much of a problem having to go with mac only hardware when Apple bought Logic from Emagic.
    But now I have many bootable clones of various working music systems, that are still in use on certain hardware, it all seems irrelevant.
    I have everything that I need to create and output music, and no present need to follow any dangling carrot.

8. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record

Fair enough.

It seems that we have followed a very similar path (didn't you just love Emagic's studio, btw?). Perhaps I should have simply said that the ability to be able to walk into different studios/facilities and be able to interface immediately and without concerns is paramount to me, and a large reason that I personally prefer Apple.

But yeah, whatever works for anyone else is ok with me.

9. MarkSlater

MarkSlater Producer

I didn't know that. Thanks. I will investigate. It was windows 10 anyways.

10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. MarkSlater

MarkSlater Producer

12. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

No problem. I'm on LTSC too. With those tweaks you should get better and noticable results. Let me know if you need help. I'm by no mean an expert in the matter, but I've done the optimization procedure countless times, so, start to know it well.

13. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

strip all unnecessary ....voila.....near 75% you dont need..bloats system power
    make a lite version..
    or try
    https://oprekin.com/windows-10-pro-1909-lite/#more-479
    or team os - search site

14. MarkSlater

MarkSlater Producer

Such a long list! :facepalm:Thank you! I appreciate it man.:mates: I already started to put my PC on the right path. But anyway, I have a new computer now, Ryzen 2700x which performs better than the old one that had both windows and hackintosh (intel 870k). (R.I.P.) :rofl:

15. MarkSlater

MarkSlater Producer

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Haha, you pressed that nerve right there. I had already switched to pc and had built my first server when Stevie announced Logic would be Mac exclusive and i should go buy a Mac. Needless to say that my cheap rackmount server was much less noisy and more efficient than Apple's top spec'd G4. I 've had a Mac since forever but i refused the ridiculous claim. I thought of it as the most outrageous claim in the history of audiosoft. You just don't say to 70k+ registered pc users to go fk themselves. But you saw no problem, which i find at the very least ironic, especially if you were not a Mac user in the first place, which i was but still pissed me off. I still have the disks/registration/manual/usb dongle(XS key) etc etc for Logic 5 Platinum somewhere, last pc version was 5.3 if i recall, about 2001-2002.
    At the end, the decision you and i made is what makes us both human but ultimately very different. I like individuality that's why i would recommend anything that lets an artist be creative, no matter if it doesn't work for me. I do recommend Hackintosh to anyone who likes the ease of macOS but that's certainly not for noobs. As a gambler friend of mine always said: "Either directly or indirectly, novices will always end up paying double". It is a bitter statement but it has a dosage of truth if you think about it.
    My comments come from industry facts which i am closely related to and i'll be happy to provide sources to my claims in numbers, percentages, bibliography the whole lot. Personally, i hate fanboyism with a passion. I will contradict any generic, undetailed claim that pros use Macs 'till the end of my life. Apple has 10% in the laptop biz and 8.5% in desktops. And this speaks for itself, no comments needed.
    My two cents ? The past ten years, i have seen more iMacs and MacBooks in posh secretary offices and rich people's lounges than i 've seen in audio and post studios. The old days when you had to have a Mac to be different and hip are way past gone.
    Welcome to an all RGB 2020. Happy new year :)
    Ps: Next week i will try the unthinkable. Hackintosh on a MS Surface Book hehe. Supposedly all work but the trackpad gestures and touchscreen, so i am gonna try to make the touch feats work. I 'll let you know how that went. Cheers

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. dingoday

dingoday Member

Thanks, the processor scheduling was a new one for me. One never stops learning:guru: Thatswhy ia m propably never going to win10. I just dont want to start this journey from the beginning.

Yeah, i think Apple had their golden moment like 5 to 10 years ago with the nice retina display models and everything being so nice. Now that Steve Jobs is gone their products have started to decay and make even less sense to a non apple user. (I think logic was more ahead back then because unlike ableton live its more of a traditional linear sequencer with very usable effects, windows users had cubase to cater that category and atleast back then it was a mess with bad effects and everything) Stuff like studio one 4 ,reaper and live have started to make even more sense in my opinion now on later years and apple hardware seems to just lack processing power more and more.

If i had a choice of all the sequencers though right now it would most likely with all being said be Ableton live and Logic

Intresting. I dont really know film industry but i thought things were not going as bad for Apple the as you painted. I belive you though :D I think they are in big trouble if theyll stop developing their exclusive apps. Maybe the mobile phone business is worth to them so much more that they just dont care anymore

18. dingoday

dingoday Member

Yes the problem is that windows might "park" cores which basically means they wont be in use:trashing:. Its the stupidest thing i know and has propably led millions of people throwing their laptop to trashcan as being too "old".

19. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

what about unpark cpu apps...do they work...?

20. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I agree,probably a matter of power savings or some Defender settings?Defender is a cpu hog.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List