Wanna buy a mac, teach me if its the right choice please!

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Retrolize77, Sep 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Platinum Record

Apple for anything touch.. ipad over android.. I surf the web, do my admin stuff on a mac mini with High Siera and its fantastic. I've got the audio wired into my main Win 10 DAW (not connected to the web) for some extra synth sounds ect. I love it for that.

After spending 10's of thousands, I left apple for production years ago when they fucked up
    Logic, Finalcut and Alchemy. Tying hardware to an OS is shit, so fuck you apple.

Get a PC laptop.. more bang for buck on a budget, less restrictive, cheaper parts for upgrades ect... Could go into the pro's and cons diatribe but you're on a budget, so try and score an i7 a few years old and max the ram out.

2. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Got a question about the i7: How big is the difference between the i5 and the i7? I dont need to have hundreds of audio tracks going simultaneously, no vocal rec, no audio interface stuff. Just a bunch of synths & effects. Do i need an i7? Thx

3. Bandit

Bandit Producer

I am on i7, Win 10... 64 bit. 16 gb ram. I also have laptop i7, Win 10 64 bit, 4 gb RAM. Never a hitch, loading heavy projects at times. I highly recommend PC. If taken care for, they last much longer than a Mac. My desktop is now almost 10 years I think. Only upgraded the BIOS and to Windows 10. It's absolutely great.
    A few Mac OS upgrades and you can toss the thing, or it does not work properly, seeing all these developers post about the last OS upgrade. In total agreement with Dimentagon. But in the end the choice is yours.

4. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

advice dont listen to those guys that said that Mac computers are crap or trash,those guys cant afford to buy a mac hat is why they talk shit about mac computers,Mac are awesome,since 2000 i switched from windows to mac and i never look back,you also can build a hackintosh i have 2 in my home and they work perfect,also you buy a mini mac.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Nightwalker

you just cant afford to buy a mac dude that is why you are moaning,you should also respect people is easy to call stupid person when that person is not in front of you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

they did have more mac puters then you ever will...plus atari,macintosh,pc bla bla
    in fact they got mo money then......
    rich ppl dont waste money:hillbilly:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Gyro Gearloose

yeah man that i kno as win user reading az comments ...fo sho
    but microdump did fck it up with win10...now you must streamline more or use good custom OS iso....

this update crazyness is controlling customer and is copy protection2.0
    but ppl need every update or they will die instantly:hahaha:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  8. Nightwalker

bla bla bla

9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Love the advice... The best thing about Apple is they never go wrong. Coming soon is their Pro Stand (of their new Pro XDR display) which only costs 1000 dlrs. But hey it's an Apple product and it's touted PRO. So it's for you. I dunno if even you, can afford the monitor though, at 5000 dlrs is a bit steep, but no matter the stand will make a nice addition to the rest of your Pro set.
    As for the Macs, maybe they are not crap but -reality check- they certainly are not the Ferraris of the 80s' computer world that they were or nowhere near. Atm for the most part, they are just overpriced pcs. Just watch the Louis Rossman vids. He knows what time it is...
    Apple was Steve Jobs brainchild. Without his charismatic figure the push for innovation has gone bye bye. Unfortunately, Apple now is a beastly 1 tril dlrs communications company. He who thinks Apple's executives and shareholders care much what happens with their comp department is naive. As long as they sell iPhones and iPads screw the comps man, but hey let's see what Intel has so we can put something together to take some quick cash from the creative pros who will trust us once again ...
    So, their new venture in the comp world, the new Mac Pro? Allow me to predict: Dead On Arrival bro. But why, how ?
    Surely it's more functional than the Trashcan Pro flop. But, the 28core Xeon with 48 pci-e lanes and 1.5tb ram is old news. AMD rocks up to 64 cores now, 128 pci-e lanes and up to 4tb ram support on a single cpu. I guess Apple didn't see that coming, hell, even Intel are shitting their pants alright. A single AMD Epyc Rome cpu Hackintosh build of that caliber, will wipe the floor of not one but two such Macs. But hey at least you will still have your Pro Stand... :headbang:
    Cheers
    PS: Before you say anything you 'll regret, know that my original Macintosh poses almost mint in Thessaloniki's Museum of Computers. Through the years, i bought at least 4 other Macs including the very first Powerbook. I still dabble with macOS from time to time but now i build my macs as i do my pcs too.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. fredboudin

fredboudin Ultrasonic

is there a laptop you could advise you have personnally tried with an audio setup ? I also need multi screens support.

11. sms2000

sms2000 Ultrasonic

I wouldn't even use mac for free. I don't give a crap what I-Crap heads think about it. Apple is just stupid, overhyped, and completely useless pieces of crap trying to be trendy and cool.
    BTW, I do call almost every person using Apple in front of me stupid, proud and shamelessly.

It is also a fact, that every person buying anything that is Apple is stupid. why the F-- would any sane person use it if he or she must use i-Tunes or any other i-Crap products with it???.....
    as I said, stupid products for people stupid enough to buy them with all the bla bla bla of politically correct hi-tech wannabe leftists. Cut The Crap, Will ya

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

This windows vs mac thing all day. I just need a fast cheap way to finally be able to do this Timemachine backup thing on a new system to make some music again. Most if not all answers are made by members who are able to lay hands on their machines to do some magic, not at this end.
    I‘m possibly addicted to musicmaking, the good vibe i get into during the process is missed bigtime here

13. Gyro Gearloose

buy pc....buy behringers...buy buy....
    i stay out here now..but dont you get it...these dudes make music for ages from the computer times start up...
    and i not...but i kno what i kno...

14. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Btw, i enjoy being part of a forum of people into it for decades...damn, i am too, started with commodore & atari back then, not to mention my beloved Roland Juno 106 :mates:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Depends on the price range. My last laptop Hackintosh was more than 1 year ago a mid range HP Pavillion. For the most part it was a mediocre laptop at about 750 euros. But first lemme get the important parts out of the way. When buying any kind of laptop the most important part is not the cpu,ram etc., but the build quality and warranty. I personally like Lenovos as their warranty is rock solid and expandable. I also like Alienware (now owned by Dell) laptops.
    So, before you start, Hackintosh builds require two things. Compatible hardware and patience. If you are willing to compromise for macOS Sierra, Nvidia still has web drivers for their cards, meaning you can buy a laptop with Nvidia dedicated graphics. From High Sierra and on, Apple has ditched the Nvidia compatibility and no one is to blame, or more correctly they both are to blame, as they have a long running feud between them lasting a few years now...
    The laptops with Nvidia cards are the vast majority but there is still a portion with Radeon cards. Like the Lenovo E590 with i7 8565U(4 core)-8gb ram- 15.6" FHD IPS panel-256gb NVMe SSD-Radeon 550(2gb). Should be around 1000 euros or less depending where you buy it.
    On the laptops with Nvidia i like the all new M17 from Alienware. The config with i7 9750H (6core)-16gb ram-17" FHD IPS-512gb NVMe SSD- Nvidia 1660ti(6gb), should cost around 1700 euros and as it seems it is a step higher than the Lenovo build. It also has built in Thunderbolt 3 (on USB-C port) for your higher end peripherals. It also has a sophisticated cooling system probably and probably one of the best build qualities.
    These are my suggestions, i can make more but before you go and buy any pc laptop, post in the tonymac forum the model that interests you asking the chances to make it work and chances are you will get an answer for your time. I do understand that time is limited for all of us, but reading the guides doesn't hurt. My guess is it will be worth your while.
    Be well :)

16. sms2000

sms2000 Ultrasonic

your point about macs being overpriced is correct.
    However, about Apple and technological innovation you're wrong.
    Apple was never a company of technological invention nor innovation.
    This company just "took" existing technology, added a feature or two and called it its "technological innovation" using simple promotion for stupid people willing enough to believe its lame marketing technique: things like macs, I-pods, I-pads, I-phone, I-crap etc....

just think about it.
    what is exactly so technologically great about a 2005-2007 I-pod compared to mp3 device from the same years?...absolutely nothing.
    I-pods use I-Tunes. mp3 devices use a simple folder.

17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

hackintosh desktop PC would be my choice anyday;
    especially if you're looking at iMac, means you don't need portability...

18. sms2000

sms2000 Ultrasonic

just stop it. you don't need any macs or I-craps. just buy a pc. plain and simple

19. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I cannot agree, Windows 10 is unusable out of the box, it takes more time to properly configure Windows 10 PC than MacOS hacky on very same PC;

let's not forget OP asks for Mac, which means he probably does not have any problems with MacOS, therefore there is absolutely no valid reason to bother with Windows 10 anyway

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

Put it this way, I was all about Apple until I built my own computer. Then I realized you can build an Apple part for part for 1/3 of the price, and buy a pre built pc with the exact same parts for 1/2 the price. If you're serious about this I recommend learning to build your own computer. It's really not that hard and you'll save a ton of money. And you'll save money down the line when it's time to upgrade. Because you can just buy a new cpu for $300 instead of buying a whole new machine. Apple is really for people who don't know about computers. Apple only makes the case. All the parts are made by 3rd party companies. And if you really like OSX you can just install it on a computer you built yourself, aka Hackintosh. personally I don't really OSX though because there's a ton of really cool plugins that only have windows versions :dunno: