Wanna buy a mac, teach me if its the right choice please!

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Retrolize77, Sep 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

@taskforce , you are the best man.... I don't have a lot of time to type now, but will more later, but agree with all you said, 1000%. And you are so cool to offer to help me in the upcoming future should I need it. Class act sir!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

wow...great indicator....youre circle is mac too...whhoo...

btw...all new mac are pc instead of OS....intel inside you kno...but mac user never look into their cases i guess...:mad:

3. Gyro Gearloose

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. groove

groove Kapellmeister

so funny... we speak about system not hardware so speak windows vs Macos ...if you don't speak about this tread change to an another one... you are aptly named ... loose...

5. Gyro Gearloose

yeah not important that mac OS runs on PC#S...:mad:

6. wadmixfm

wadmixfm Member

Macs are great for music but not ideally out of the box , you will need some external help , i am currently using a focusrite saffire audio 40 and its the dogs B B's

i have been using a mac for home recording since 2013 this machine has 32gb mem and running on high sierra and every piece of music software from Reaper to Cubase runs perfectly nearly all the vst'/Aui plugin i have downloaded and used and i can tell you its a few i have never had any problems with them.

i bought this refurbed mac which is a late 2011 model for £499 and its never let me down

normal mac software does not get in the way like the ipads or iphones ,the computer acts like a computer , whatever you throw at it ,it takes
    especially if you dual boot it with bootcamp and stick windows 10 on bootcamp and your mac as normal then you can get the best of both worlds.

Great piece of kit in my opinion , i was an avid windows user for years and even though i do still use windows (via bootcamp) i still use my mac for recording only.

Lee

7. Gyro Gearloose

yeah so funny
    and
    OP title is even funnier

8. Gyro Gearloose

2012-13 was another times...that ended there
    look alone at price
    now 1999 pounds and intel inside
    ------
    ppl with high siera seem the smartest eh eh
    seems one of the best MAC OS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Mister Grimm

Mister Grimm Kapellmeister

I 've seen both and in fact for many different genres. Also i had the chance to work with both of them and still my opinion supports PCs... That does not mean that i 'm a mac "snob" or i believe that Macs cannot delivere the job, They sure do ! But many ...MANY turned to PCs cause of the price

10. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Hudson Mohawke, DeadMau5, Afrojack, Martin Garrix, Madeon, Porter Robinson etc, most of them on FL. You are definitely right about stage/live though, not many artists use Windows laptops, Mac was and still is the norm.
    In the studio though it's different. Too many PT users have switched to windows, mainly because of more powerful hardware and cheaper pricing. Cubase users (including me) found that Cubendo performs slightly better under Windows. Cool daws like Cakewalk and Samplitude are Win only. Personally i love and use fanatically the most buggier soft ever, AcidPro and that's Win only again.
    So there are enough reasons to go for Win - more software options, better comp. hardware for cheaper prices, easier hardware upgrades, better compatibility. MacOS provides better stability (if you don't upgrade!), easier out of the box operation, better native support for pro audio, some cool exclusives like LogicX and top end Apogee interfaces.
    Also something important that we have never mentioned is disk performance was subpar in macOS up to the release of High Sierra and the new AppleFS. Still, AFS although very "speedy", it's made for SSDs and it can reportedly damage mechanical drives. Given that hdds are still widely used, Apple has still work to do, although AFS rocks imho and if there's anyone smart left in MS, they need to copy that sht asap lol.
    Be well :)

11. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Yet still didn't need to be constantly defragged for performance.

What you gain massively with Mac:

1. No constant worries about viruses, malware or shit. Yes there are some out there but unless you're a fuckin idiot its unlikely you'll hit one on Mac even without running a/v. An occasional quick scan with Malwarebytes does the job just to keep your mind at rest
    2. No need to keep your machine insecure by disabling automatic updates. In 9 years of OSX I've never had a security patch freeze or cause me any hardware issues whatsoever on 4 separate Macs. You certainly don't need to consider staying offline or disabling them as many Windows users do with their main DAW machine
    3. Core audio fuckin rocks - you have to be REALLY unlucky to get audio issues on OSX because it generally works so well. Compare that with Windows and people having to use Asio4All or having weird audio glitches when updating something else like a gfx card driver (yes I used to run windows machines I've been there)
    4. Time machine - one of the best backup programs out there full stop and it's free with the OS and takes like 2 mins to setup
    5. Not having to reinstall/reformat every year or two or for every OS upgrade. I've done about 7 OS upgrades so far including migrating my whole set-up with all plug-ins intact with the same user profile settings across 2 Macs (first iMac then onto a Pro) with zero issues whatsoever. Try doing that shit in Windows.

Against:

1. Cost - yep they cost if you don't wanna pay Apple hardware prices buy a hackintosh or build one yourself. No more aggro than a PC build if you follow online docs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Deist

Deist Newbie

I'm surprised "Mac Vs PC" continues to be a topic taken seriously in 2020.
    Yeah I know... Fanboys. But does anybody other than myself follow the Louis Rossman's (component level actual repair genius of Apple products) Youtube channel?
    Every needful info (not to mention irrefutable proofs) on that channel is given for you to make up your mind about Apple products and what they're worth (and incidentally what YOU're worth to Apple as a customer).

Fanboys will be fanboys alright... Yet aren't boys expected to grow up into men at some point?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. dingoday

dingoday Member

No AV on win7. No worries, no viruses that would have ever touched performance or stolen anything for 10 years now

Maybe this is something youre right, but then again nobody really hacks anyones pcs anyways and features wise Windows updates are outright dangerous :D One might wake up with a different OS on reboot :grooves:. Its just marketing to scare off people into bad decisions. There are updates like meltdown you dont even want because you lose so much cpu performance.

Asio4 all is just fine. If you are serious you are anyways going to use your audio interface drivers :p Midiwise everything still sucks on both sides

If you like backups there are like 100 programs all doing fine

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. dingoday

dingoday Member

We talked earlier about power options on Windows eating cpu processing power. I remember now that if you update windows/macOS you are going to receive that Intel processor meltdown patch. AMD is also affected by something like spectre if i remember correctly. Its a theorethical chance of being hacked (i think they have only hacked themselfs on labratory with this) but it will eat cpu pretty much.

So i suggest disabling the patch. InSpectre tool will do it easily, its a no install portable small tool that disables/enables the patch and tells you if you have it or not.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-inspectre.html

Backstory to the Meltdown is that Intel was basically aware of this hole in their processor designs for 20 years and even when they were told by 3rd party about it to fix it ,they went off releasing affected cpus basically commiting a fraud as the patch will eat 10-30% cpu power in some cases. Now they are fixing their new designs which has led to some of the new stuff released being even slower (im not making this claim but LinusTechTips was getting something along the lines on some tests). AMD had fixed their shit earlier but i think they had something going on too

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Not strictly true, I've had 2 updates over the years that shafted several things. Hence, I wait at least a week now to update.
    And Apple haven't had the best success on their OS releases to be fair, numerous issues.

My main rig is a Mac Pro, but to say it's had zero issues in 10 years would be a lie. If you keep 6 months or greater behind the current release... yes.

16. Gyro Gearloose

:hahaha::deep_facepalm:
    yeah just bloat it up with stuff you dont need..or spy on you...
    ---
    4 years no updates on surfputer here :wink:

17. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

real broducers just buy a (quantum) supercomputer from IBM with custom OS and software, right... Windowz'n Nac are fo' amateurz :yes:

18. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

I patch all the normal security patching as soon as it hits the app store and I've not had any issues in that respect with any minor patches.

I never do the full version upgrade the minute thats out though, due to the volume of plugins I use I tend to stay 6 months behind the major version changes.

I've been lucky - I know there have been odd MBP issues but nowhere near the amount of issues with Windows updates where at least a few a year end up putting some machines in a non-bootable state (I'm an avid follow of the theregister website and they're always on there).

19. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Make sure you keep that tin foil hat on nice and tight as well.

20. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Yeah you can buy whatever you like my point is Time Machine is free with the OS.