Walkman or Turntable Slow down FX

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by martel80, Nov 27, 2014.

1. martel80

martel80 Producer

I'd like to recreate the effect of a low battery portable tapedeck or waving turntable on my upcomming album and i cant seem to find a plugin that do this effect.

You know, when the sound wave slower then get back to ''normal'' speed and so on.......

I have plenty of Vinyl dirt and tape sound .....but i cannot find any way to recreate the effect that my old portable walkman was doing when the battery were low.

Anyone have any idea where or how i could achieve this, the waving effect that is ?

3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

It's not as trivial as it seems, since unlike your old walkman, the track has to stay in tempo. You can do this with image line's gross beat.

4. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

A couple of possibilities, for quick results:
    Automate a pitch plugin. Serato's Pitch 'n time could do this. Offline: you can set 'cue points' over time within a Waves pitch plugin.
    You could add in some automated EQ, like dipping the high freq. when the pitch goes down.
    If you want to take it a step further, you could use Izotope products like Stutter Edit & Vinyl, they can be automated as well.

5. martel80

martel80 Producer

Thanks guys, ill give those possibilities a try and let you know if it worked

6. martel80

martel80 Producer

All right, i tryed Gross Beat and it only automate on 4 beat maximum and the effect end up being way to deep for what i'm trying to achieve.

I want something subtile that wave over 16 to 32 beat.

Any idea if i can automate Gross beat over 32 beat ?

7. martel80

martel80 Producer

All right,

I found a Vst that do exactly the warp effect i wanted .

Its called : Sonitex STX-1260

Give it a try

8. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

I think its reaper that behaves like a speed up slow down effect while playing it's audio files while going through tempo changes, should do the job for the dying battery tape effect or a variable turntable

9. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

R u sure?? This is a good vinyl sound emulation but scratching? :dunno:
    As boom+fraifikmushi already started to suggest, here's a list of imho appropriate "scratching" solutions:
    - StageCraft Scratch Track @ stagecraftsoftware.com (very sophisticated, see youtube vid 9TN3IZA7UqY)
    - Sugar Bytes Effectrix or Turnado (easy to use, especially on rhythmic material)
    - DyScratch @ dyvision.co.uk
    - Turntablist Pro @ vst4free.com
    - ConcreteFX Position @ vst4free.com
    - "Scratch It!" @ z3-audiolabs.com

If you work on Ableton, you can go to an Ableton native solution (which I just found thanks to your question :wink: )

That's what you wanted, isn't it?
    Regards

10. martel80

martel80 Producer

No, i dont want to make scratch sound, i wanted to make warp effect , like waving vinyl on turntable or rusty walkman turning at different speed.

Like the effect in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdijFiYjWGg

11. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Ah, now I see, I thought you wanted to recreate a tape stop effect.

12. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

To get quick results with a plugin geared for this, try illinformed "dblue Tape Stop" (it's free)

They make dblue Glitch (free) and Glitch 2 (paid) as well. Very awesome plugs!

illinformed

13. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Aah, if this is what you're after (it's called wow/flutter), it's very simple to achieve:
    Use any delay VST/AU that you can modulate with a slow sinewave LFO, then make sure to set the Delay Feedback to zero (i.e. exactly one repeat cycle) and the FX mix ratio to 100% (effect only).
    The delay can be rather short (a few milliseconds), although the greater the modulation you want, the longer the delay time must be.
    The effect must be used as insert effect to make sure the original signal is not passed through.