Walk of life synth Synth Sound?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Victor, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Victor

Victor Noisemaker

Hi guys. I was struggling and can't find out how to make that synth sound on Dire Straits - Walk of life at the beginning, after the organ chords. I downloaded several vst synths...couldn't find that tone on presets. Tried to edit some of them, but I am new to synth editing. Maybe someone was able to find that tone and has some clues.

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Hammond B3 organ, or an imitation thereof. Very few bars pulled. They have it in left and right channel, slightly delayed on the right. Leslie cabinet on slow rotation except during the verse. Sounds like the Leslie speeds up then. Here they are playing it in 1985. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=087Bv3p4KLQ ---Live, they have two keyboard players. One has a real Hammond with some other keys, and the other guy has stuff I don't recognize. He's playing an organ imitation on a couple synths. Haha has a few cartridges loaded. In '85, there were a fewer choices for multi voice synths based on samples. I like to perform "Water of Love", from their 1st album, during one of the gigs I do.

4. Victor

Victor Noisemaker

I'm not talking about the chords that are on organ, but about the intro melody/riff (g#,g#. f# g# b, g# f# e e) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeXtTVN4X-Y here he plays with only one keyboard.
    I saw a video where one dude made it very close to that sound with Roland AX synth, so it's possible.

5. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

the riff/melody at 25 sec (album version) sounds like a type of trumpet synth sound

6. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Watched it again. Stopped it on the guy playing 3 keyboards, just before the 1st verse.(50secs.)I recognize those buttons in front. That's a Korg. Still have not figured out what the other two are. :phones: I watched your later version of the song. That one is not as nice, I don't think. It's still some sort of organ imitation. I believe the tech term is "slightly cheesy". :rofl: P.S. on your version---Paul Franklin on steel--- :guitarhero: he's amazing.

7. Victor

Victor Noisemaker

It sounds very bright, really like Tri and Square and/or something more mixed together. This is my progress, close but not enough... https://www.dropbox.com/s/de6mdbss5flpp9m/test%20walk%20of%20life.mp3?dl=0

8. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Maybe you can get some idea from here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340817 One member was using Synth1 for that.

Also you can try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U-DazEDD2o

9. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

I tried to play before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5L2OmRbM8

I know it is very different from original :)

It is a bit hard to get same sound if you mean album record

10. Victor

Victor Noisemaker

From that youtube video. I installed FM8, but I have no idea how to modify those numbers from the Expert menu, Envelope tab. Those numbers that are in the middle of the graph. Also, the oscillator B is somehow connected to the osc C in that video, I don't know how to do this. Look at my screenshot and compare it to that video.

[​IMG]

11. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

You can request the preset file from video owner maybe he can share it. Normally it is hard too, to apply steps by watching the video.

12. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

search for FM8 manual pdf on google
    Download a pdf reader from adobe site (search for adobe site on google)
    download FM8 manual.
    read it.

13. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

Manual is already available after installing the program.

14. Victor

Victor Noisemaker

So you are suggesting me to read a 140 pages manual just to find that info? And I don't even don't know how it will sound after applying those settings from that youtube video. He doesn't have an audio demo.

15. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

I don't know if you ever read a manual, the first pages should give you which chapter to jump to for the feature you wanna use. There might also be a glossary at the end, indicated which chapter to read from a keyword.

16. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

"So you are suggesting me to read a 140 pages manual just to find that info?"

Are you afraid to be called a nerd if you did so ? Because you really shouldn't.

17. Victor

Victor Noisemaker

Just before you say things about me before knowing me, I just want to say some things. Why should I bother reading the manual of FM8 since I don't even know how a tone with those settings will sound? Maybe that guy just was messing around for fun, giving some random settings.
    This will cost me some time. Time that I could use to do something else, like checking some other synths, or reading about creating a synth sound. Ok, thanks for no help. I don't mind reading a manual for some thing that I know I will use, but reading the manual for FM8 and not being sure that I will like that sound is a waste of time.

18. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

This thread is so great!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Merry Christmas, everyone!

19. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

"Why should I bother reading the manual of FM8 since I don't even know how a tone with those settings will sound?"
    If you tried, you would see.
    But you're absolutely right, you shouldn't bother with curiosity or knowledge, or education.

You know what you should do ? You should watch TV ! Jersey Shores and such.
    You'll love it, and you'll never hear about some manuals or learning things. What do you think ?

20. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Well i was try this settings from youtube yesterday for fun and was not impressed. But let me say there is a big chance i was not set everything right. Have the same problem as you have with envelope grid. But if you ask me this is not most critical thing. So if you not get already good approximate sound you wish with other settings, you probably will not get it with settings you have problem, so not bother. Probably you already have superior lead sound that you've shared with us. As for Letters, i think they connecting themself accordingly automaticaly when you make settings changes from video. But i'm not sure as my links between letters was also a bit different i think. Also i see mistake in picture you posted. for letter A he choose soft square wave not sine wave.

21. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I'm having a hard time understanding why it's so important to get that exact sound. From my video to your video, it sounds/looks like Mr. Knopfler didn't worry about it too much. In all my years of playing, I've never heard anybody say to the keyboard player-"Aww, man...You didn't use the right program setting for that song!". :rofl: