Wading in... looking for feedback / opinions

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by RexRexall, Jun 21, 2019.

1. RexRexall

RexRexall Noisemaker

Long-time reader here, finally putting out some music for feedback. Appreciate any you might have for me. Thanks.
    -Rex

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Interesting composition, haven't heard something like this for quite some time.

Soundwise I'd say it's way too loud and the mid freqs hurt my ear as soon as I turn up the volume.
    I made this in 14 minutes (so it's far from being perfect) but I think your overall sound should sound more like this (mixwise)

Maybe you like to share some details about the production?

And welcome to THE forum.

4. RexRexall

RexRexall Noisemaker

Hey, avenger, thanks for the feedback. I'll admit the mids have been a bit of a struggle. Sounds like I may need to keep tweaking. My home setup sounds pretty good for listening but my JBL monitors aren't great for mixing, so I appreciate you letting me know how it sounds on your end.

5. No Avenger

In this case reference tracks can be really helpful.

6. peter21

peter21 Kapellmeister

hi rexall
    Bit noisy on my msp5's...had to turn down the volume :)
    But nice tracks...as No Avenger said ..haven't heard stuff like this in a while..reminds me a bit of dream theater..with elements of floyd..very nice..intricate stuff..
    Some nice guitar playin' too :like:
    Refreshing stuff ..thanks for da listen.
    cheers

7. RexRexall

RexRexall Noisemaker

Hey Peter, thanks for the feedback. When you and avenger say the track is loud, do you mean literally the volume is higher when compared to other artists' tracks, or do you mean certain frequencies (mids, high-mids, etc.) are exaggerated, making it harsh/loud, or is it both, or something else entirely? I used the Expose app by Mastering the Mix when doing these tracks, using their CD mastering setting as a guide and staying within that range. My Breathe track above is showing -8.8 LUFS -1 dbTP and Titan registers at -8.8 LUFS -0.6 dbTP. Again, I appreciate you folks taking the time to let me know how it's sounding on your end. It's very helpful.

Also, appreciate the observations/compliments on the composition. I do often tend to construct around different movements, which I guess isn't quite so common, at least not with this style of music. If you or anyone's interested, here is my most recent, which follows similar patterns:

8. No Avenger

Yep, it's both.
    As you can hear in my suggestion, I lowered various mid and high mid freqs (and emphasised some lows).
    Furhtermore -9LUFS is loud as f***. Most of the platforms (which is sadly kind of the standard nowadays) adjust the tracks to ~14LUFS, some ~16. Only soundcloud plays them as they are.

Last time I responded something like this I was drawn in an completely unnecessary quarrel, but according to my experience my opinion still stands.
    Tools like this can't fix what you can't mix. They can be of some help to point out certain things, but what you should really use are good monitors, an analyzer, a LUFS meter, reference tracks and your ears.

If you're not experienced with using an analyzer I recommend free
    https://sevenphases.wordpress.com/spectrum-analyzer/
    For songs like Breathe try to achieve a pretty flat horizontal line for the main/fullest parts (apart from the sub lows, ofc).

You can find a free LUFS meter here (just switch with the arrows at the top to LUFS EBU R128)
    https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/dpmeter4.html

9. peter21

peter21 Kapellmeister

yeah rexall
    its both really...u're volume is way too high..just dumped 2 tracks into cubase...creeping death - metallica .. -14 LUFS
    South of heaven - Slayer -11 LUFS and these are like loud bands...
    Also i think u're distortion is too high end ...but at lower levels its like ok..
    I think the music would sound better at a lower level :)
    Nice stuff though :)