VSX Platinum should i?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by funkman, Jul 30, 2024.

1. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Realphones got 4 club's (3 from v2 and one from v1) and all of them got 3 different perspectives Tight, Ambience and FOH, that one from v1 got Full, Clean and Empty. Personally I listen to music in those club's almost exclusively, if I'm on cans, at this point I just know how good low end should sound in those (then you can jump on car emulations, which give you again nice perspective on low end, than Public Spaces, Party, which is like in lounge of the club kind of thing), dunno, I'm starting to sound like car salesman, but give it a whirl, it doesn't cost you anything, you already got great cans, plenty of time to demo it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
  2. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

and did u have to pay for new pair each time?

3. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

k712 ?

4. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

headphones

5. InFiNiGhTe

InFiNiGhTe Member

I can vouch for Realphones aswell. Not exactly a replacement for VSX I'd say, both have their pros and cons. Realphones may have loads of model profiles but some does not like having a "flat" profile, like SoundID has.. SoundID simply is the worst for many headphones. Not to say what an excuse the room modes they've introduced really are in practice.

I mean, it's not like I've never used SoundID with headphones before, but the only pair I ever had that liked it was Pioneer's HDJ500... Any other pair sounded worse to me.. Especially Beyerdynamic ones, and they're already harsh on their own, except my DT 900 Pro X's. It sounded better with Realphones by the end of the day regardless.

None of my headphones, whether it be planar or dynamics, sounded great with SoundID. And only some of them sounds even better without correction, like my Sennheiser HD 25's.

When I had the chance to try VSX it was outright amazing. And i'll probably buy them someday.. But a pair of Sundara's with Realphones is just perfection to me. Especially after I've recreated a room profile that sounds almost identical to my home studio while I travel around places.

So yea, I'd still give Realphones a shot with their 41 day trial. The only downside would be finding the ideal pair for it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2024
  6. Euphonic

Euphonic Member

VSX is the best solution. The steel frames do not break. I sold all of my other headphones after my mixes were translating to every medium I tested it on. I only put on my speakers for clients. I won't even mix on my speakers. I've had them for years and would never mix without them

7. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

Get them! Like many ive read i also consider them one if not the best investment for my studio, i use them every single day and mixes translate really well, have them for over 3 yrs without any problems. Just learn 1 or 2 rooms well listening to your favorite records for a week or 2 and use other rooms for checks and you ready to roll.

8. InFiNiGhTe

InFiNiGhTe Member

I don't doubt that VSX is awesome, as long you just use their software with the headphones themselves, because they sound like utter garbage without it imho. It's fairly subjective what is the best and whatnot however. For every medium ive checked, Realphones didn't lie either, but that is also just thanks to my subjective experience.. It can't be translated to everyones perception.

As for the steel frames... I've seen my fair share of damages but experiences may vary, right? x)

9. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

no slate sent me replaments each time thier customer service is top notch

10. Orglblork

Orglblork Ultrasonic

I would definitely recommend on the VSX, I've had the platinum about 10 months.

SoundID and VSX are different tools for the most part. VSX does have a room-less flattened eq model, which is what I've been using lately. Kind of like what SoundID does but without it sounding like ass lol

11. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

i agree that their customer serive is top notch, but each time they break and have to send them for a replacement is a down time that some people can't afford especially if they get used to them...

12. MarkSlater

MarkSlater Producer

VSX breaking is an issue of the past. I've overused and abused mine and still didn't break for the last one year and a half. Before buying them, I was very afraid that they would break, as well. As, for the sound, they translate much better than the monitors in my pretty well treated room. (Eve SC 208 with Sound Id or ARC system)

13. robbieeparker14

robbieeparker14 Producer

true the plus side is and this is just for others clarification, you dont need to send the broken pair in, just a photo of the damage and serial number my last pair got here in 2 days, im in the US tho

14. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

i got mine in the mail today. already breezed through a mix. didnt even give time to learn them or the room, just jumped right in. Used mike deans room, and bounced to the car, and howie mastering studio when i was done with the basic mix. The mix translated very well to my studio, my home studio, and my GF's studio.

15. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

Yea those early VSX Headphone build quality was terrible. Honeestly, the current revision is nothing to be proud of. They add a thin metal strip to prevent easily snapping. They really tried to save costs while charging a lot for the software combo. Now after realizing I can translate between my other headphones, I would not replace VSX hardware if it breaks unless it fall under warranty period.

With all that said, the software gets the job done without needing to tweak or calibrate much at all.

16. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

I think it will help him realize how to translate his headphones. Often what sounds good in the cans, sucks in the vans. Its also a misconception that each sound in a production must sound full. I've witnessed some mix sessions where almost every track was band-passed into a limited range and each track sounded like it was missing a part of itself. Then all together the the song was an excellent mix.

Starting with band-pass, high-pass, low-pass for all tracks, and slowly adding the essential range of each specific instrument will make your club mixes better. With VSX, you'll get a decent reference without leaving that DAW. Also keeping your sub-bass frequencies mono is a good practice until you know how to break the 'rules' with good results.

17. funkman

funkman Ultrasonic

i purchased the other night when i started the topic,after a few replies.
    shortly after purchasing the guilt got the better of me(can i really justify forking out almost 400 quid( even though deep down i knew they would be a good job).
    needless to say i cancelled the order.:grooves: i figured if on offer next year i can go through the same mental torture again!
    im guessing a new version comming out soon though and that why the offer was on.thanks for the comments though,was good feedback.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2024