VSTi of Yamaha SY99

Discussion in 'Software News' started by BiG Pluck, May 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Unfortunately gone. Our memories are the real valuables.

Unfortunately that treasure won't allow me to retire in Mexico.:rofl:

I already delved into all procedures in the above mentioned SY99 forum, and I was ready since.. I don't remember. Then I decided for the cryo pod (along its breath controller), not without a tear.
    cryopod.jpg
    pod.jpg
    Well, it could be, but beside the name (SY66) it seems to me a bit oversimplified.:)

Yes, I remember spending hours modifying sounds. I recall an FX called "Electron" or something like that, it was a hypnotic sound that almost made me fall face down on the keyboard.:rofl:

2. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Now there's a synth that desperately needs a VSTi remake. Never personally had one, but used friend's K2500 quite a bit. Every now and then I look at eBay and similar and dream for a bit.

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

MF77 - FM Synthesizer with RCM (Wavetable)

Unfortunately, because of that, the project was never really finished. As a preliminary end product, there is a working VSTi plug-in. Unfortunately this is so power-hungry (due to the numerous live calculations) that most PCs do not allow smooth live play of the FM synthesizer.

Since I will probably not get around to finishing the performance optimization for the synthesizer, I am making the project with all sources freely available here. Maybe there is one or the other programming enthusiast who can complete the project as a free project for the general public.

www.fiedler-audio.de/mf77-fm-synthesizer-mit-rcm-wavetable/

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

Actually there is inside of IK Syntronik. I think they have some Kontakt libraries of it SY99, but I can't remember if that's correct or not. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/syn99/?pkey=syninstruments-99

They do however have a K2000 sample library of it and might have some Kontakt libs. Again, might be wrong because I can't remember if I'm mixing up keyboard models in my head. https://ksounds.com/kurzweil-k2000-format-sound-libraries/

5. livemouse

livemouse Producer

what kind of live calculations?

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello, I don't know exactly either, but I suspect this is what is meant:

Calculating the frequencies of the partials

So let’s look into practical example:

We have a carrier and modulator set at simple integer ratio 4:1. So the frequency of the carrier is four times higher than frequency of the modulator. So let’s say we have a note playing at the frequency of 200Hz.

Now the frequency of our carrier will be 4*200Hz which equals 800Hz and the frequency of the modulator will be 200Hz because frequency ratio of C:M is 4:1.

Let’s see what happens to the carrier frequency if we modulate carrier at 800Hz with modulator set at 200Hz.

Numbers of partials occur around carrier frequency and that sidebands are integer multiples of the either carrier’s or modulator’s frequency (or both) resulting in richer harmonic spectra in the carrier waveform. Now the number of this generated sidebands depends on the modulation amount applied to the carrier.

We can calculate at which exact frequencies this sideband pairs occur and we must do that for both sum and difference sides of the sideband pair generated.

www.adsrsounds.com/fm8-tutorials/theory-behind-fm-synthesis/

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

8. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

Closest I can find is the SY85. Problem is that each bank and performance is split into separate vst's but at least you get the original sounds.

www.beatmachine.co.uk

9. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

SY85 just wavetable AWM no FM

10. livemouse

livemouse Producer

ah, i thought that was your SY77 emulation sorry. well, the sidebands and stuff are just the result of the FM function, not really extra voices or anything like that.

I do think with this emulation it's a matter of someone with synthedit to just go through and find where the signal flow and processing can be optimized as in reducing the needed instances of math operations as needed. for example, if there's any functions that are calculating sine waves that should be represented with single cycle waveforms instead, or if there's anything unneccessary and redundant. the math required to do the audio processing should be as lean as possible, and any operations that don't need to be done every cpu cycle should have timers that reduce their frequency to a few times a second rather than a 3 billion times per second for example.

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @livemouse, I only posted about the MF77 here, in the hope that someone can finish his project. Sorry for the misunderstanding here. I've just read your posting and I'm glad that you have a plan. Software programmers will also retire at some point and maybe we're lucky that this project will be brought to an end.