VST/VSTi Clearance when doing production/mixing work for companies

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Deuterium, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Deuterium

Deuterium Kapellmeister

I think it would be silly to think any of that cant be bluffed in a couple of seconds right?
    Have studios and movie/game production houses even tried asking or checking about such trivia with anyone here?

Obviously if you are take some premade nexus preset for example, it will be provable in a court copyright situation where it originated from. No need to mention that, im talking FX and synths you cant identify by ear. Not romplers, samplers or sample packs unless twisted into oblivion

3. Deuterium

Deuterium Kapellmeister

confessional box remains open, here ye poor musos

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

People work in collaboration over the internet all the time. People pay for studio time and use lots of stuff they do not own. I was reading the Wiki about The Orb recently for some reason; and it states they were working on one album in something like 20 studios at once! If I buy Falcon2, like I have; and I want to make some samples using just the synth portion, I can't sell my work and you can't buy it? I can't use Google to find some samples without checking the provenance? What about buying them online from someone you don't know?

It definitely gets murkier with romplers/Kontakt instruments, and samples in general, as you mentioned already. I have never heard of anyone being chased down because they used someone's reverb in a song. But I have heard of pro studios getting messed with by advertising commercial services on their websites, using products they did not have license for. Primarily Waves.

5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I once used a "borrowed" version of Repro 1/5 before I paid for them on a song submitted for a cable network about 6 years ago which didn't pass muster. It pisses me off just thinking about it.