VST Pre-amp ?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by One Reason, Oct 17, 2011.

1. julzh

julzh Newbie

You mean that your mic is directcly pluged in your LINE Input ? have you tried to plug in your MIC Input & lower the Input volume in the Windows Mixer ?
    btw, what's your mic model?

2. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

yes its in the Line in, yes I tried using it in Mic in, but even with volume at Zero, the mic in input creates a horrible low constant buzz.

Tried with two mics, Shure PG 48 and Beta SM58.... same result.

There is none of this noise using the Line-in input. very clean, just not near as much volume.

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

As soon as I can afford that, I'll take it, as long as u can confirm for SURE it will work on 7 x64 SP1.

My themes require this...WINDOWBLINDS to be applied to the PC. its pretty cheap, 20 bucks I think (I never have to pay for it, the company gives it to me for free)

As far as my themes go, I can make any you like available to you If you get 'WB' installed on ur machine.

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

100 percent positive. Actually its only been on window 7 64 bit here. all the way from the beta to the rc to the current sp and all updates. Focusrite actually updated all the drivers for it last year. I GUARANTEE that it works.

Im actually supposed to be working now. Ill check out WB when i get home from work :mates:

5. julzh

julzh Newbie

no noise, 'cause no volume I think, but your problem is that you can't plug a MIC directly in the Line IN. You need different pre-amp for line & mic signal, that why there is a Mic IN & a Line IN and no Mic/Line In.
    I can't explain you the exact differences, right now, between the two pre, to be technical I prefer to check out what I'm going to say. If I'm right it's something about voltage.
    maybe stupid question, but, don't you have any dedicated soft for your AI ? Something from the manufacturer ? You'll maybe have access to more parameters with this one than with Windows Mixer.

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

@ julzh , Nothing I have been able to find as far as add on software for this AI, in fact, long since unsupported by Creative, it's not even supposed to work on 7 X 64 but it does... fortunately. Basically im using an outdated card, and having to use the Line-in to cut the noise. The main problem was the volume and the lack of audio waveform in Ableton Livem, but since routing it thru another track with the Utility volume plugin on it then out to my vocal track... all is good, good volume, good waveforms... I'm happy.

Fact is, I need a new card, Hopefully sometime soon, I can get one.

Thanks for your help and input *yes*

7. julzh

julzh Newbie

at the Creative website you can find some driver for Windows 7, they're from 2010 but for Windows 7.
    just curious, how the sound after using gain utility in another track ? don't you raise up some noise or something ? or do you have a clear signal ?

8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Its perfect actually, i dont hear any extra noise. :grooves:

9. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Do you have Creatives mixer/utilty app installed also? you can also set youre levels inside of there
    i remember years back using that same card to record and it was ok! but all recordings sounded like plastic and
    really colored and cheezy.

10. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Its not supported for my OS. 7 x64 SP1 *no*

I have the most recent drivers, there was no supported mixer, even if there was, its going to give me the same control as Windows mixer does regarding my Line-in volume level... Min-Max.

Its already maxed.

11. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

beg/borrow/steal a small mixer that has line outs on it and proper balanced mic input ;D
    or... put the mic through a d.i box

the reason you are getting low signal and lots of noise in the mic in of the soundcard is you are using a balanced mic into an input thats not expecting one.
    in other words its an impedance mismatch.

12. smartlad

smartlad Member

Without using any plugs cant you just double click on the recorded clip (in live) and adjust the clips volume in the bottom left corner which will also give you a larger wave pattern in the clip?