VST Plugin Coding thread?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ArticStorm, May 28, 2021.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I only want to understand the basics. Its actual very hard in general to even come up with a very basic Filter plugin or a bit ...

But well JUCE seems to have increased this by adding dirty coding stuff - remember this is meant for beginners. There is a reason .h and .cpp files exist for C++.

I will try it again, maybe i can figure it out.

2. demberto

demberto Rock Star

JUCE adds a lot of garbage to the final release bundle, maybe uncompiled code as well. Try running all-in-one ripper from ExeInfoPE on a JUCE plugin DLL and just check out what gets dumped :wink:

3. ArticStorm

yeah i have yet to make a minimal template with the minimal juce modules. If only the Projucer could support personal templates :deep_facepalm:

I will mix tutorials for example do the Gain Plugin one together with the Slider Tutorial. Maybe this will also help to understand things better ... :disco:

4. ArticStorm

5. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

Dang. I should learn C++ as well.

6. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

Getting complicated.... :(

7. Marty I. Gardner

Marty I. Gardner Newbie

Nice thread, I'll revisit it later.

Creating VST (Virtual Studio Technology) plugins involves several aspects of coding, and it typically requires knowledge of C++ and familiarity with the VST SDK (Software Development Kit). If you have specific questions about VST plugin coding, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to provide guidance on those aspects. Whether it's related to audio processing, user interfaces, or integrating the plugin into digital audio workstations (DAWs), I'm here to assist you.

8. Kingvrage

Kingvrage Kapellmeister

I've been lurking, procrastinating and being a workaholic for too long. I'm about to have more free time than usual and I really want to sit down and make something cool.

Thank you for starting this.

9. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

many people who used something else before think that C++ would be more difficult or more "professional" than some of the other languages and tools.

in fact there is a lot of stuff which nowadays can be easier in native coding compared to capytalk, maxmsp, flowstone, you name it.

the main difference between these enviroments and C++ on the theoretical layer is that you can go deeper using C++ - if only you know how to.

simple examples: custom memory access, custom disc access, custom data types (such as multirate audio signals of different properties)

some o ther things are easier in graphical apps or specialized languages such as kyma, lisp, csound, max. mainly as they come with a bunch of examples and lively communites.

after almost 25 of maxmsp, when i look at AAX or VST SDK i am completely annoyed that you have to define and set all kind of abstract technial things for a project which are more or less the same for every plug-in.

i max, i couldnt care less if communication between compiled objects are atoms or something else and rather concentrate on the data itself and its mening to what i want to do.
    in C++ i have to define such things in C++ terminology where in audio programming enviroments outputs are simply called "output".

otoh, making a proper GUI in max, supercollider or CSound is a science itself, where in modern interface builders you only had to press three buttons to do the same.