VST latency in FL studio a normal occurrence?

Discussion in 'Software' started by flguy, May 8, 2019.

1. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

Under the VST wrapper settings, I've noticed that a certain drum machine plugin has 1.45ms (plugin) in yellow, next to latency. I've never noticed this before for any other VST instruments I've used. I'd assume that one and a half ms of latency isn't going to be noticeable enough to cause any issues, but I'm curious as to why only this plugin seems to have latency, while all the others show "none".

I'm running 64-bit FL studio 20.1.2, plugin is a 64 bit VST 2.4 instrument.

I might as well ask if anyone knows why certain plugins that say they are 64 bit VST 3's install as VST 2.3 or 2.4 also.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I don't use Fruityloops, but all plugins have latency more or less. Some have tons of DSP which adds a lot of latency. "Simple" plugins have less latency. Maybe the drummachine/sampler has effects that needs to be compensated?

The DAWs built-in latency compensation (some call it PDC, Plugin Delay Compensation) compensates for this and align everything so that there are no phasing issues. All developers state the latency of their specific plugin (in the code), which is then read by the DAW and is compensated.

Maybe that is what you mean?

4. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

I'm specifically talking about seeing latency under the settings portion of the VST wrapper settings of the plugin. You might not know exactly where that is since you don't use FL studio, but it looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every plugin I use except for the one I'm asking about says "none" next to latency, just as Omnisphere shows above.
    I'm just wondering if it is something different than just standard PDC, and maybe some reasons as to why it's only the dope plugin that shows this latency.

5. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Totally normal, some plugins require time to process the sound, this is solely depends on the manufacturer dsp...

The Idea is that it is now possible to track with plugins, just as how it is used(and still) to be done...

6. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

Right on. Thanks for clearing it up.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

So I was right on the money? Great.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. G String

G String Rock Star

Best Answer
    FL12 does it, though not in yellow script. :D

eg Flux Solera and Soundtoys Echoboy both throw up some latency.

If you have an empty project and load Echoboy into a mixer track, then if you select any other mixer track it will have DPC latency added - as shown towards the bottom right of the mixer - to compensate for the latency added to the Mixer track containing Echoboy.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

Oh snap, I never noticed that until now! Good to know!

10. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Hmm. Well, for the last 20 years, I and anyone I've worked with have always printed MIDI tracks to audio and aligned them before mixdown.
    Even in this day and age of being able to track with lots of live MIDI happening, you still want to print before mixdown.
    It will be exactly how you intended; as tight as you meant it.
    This is how it used to be done, (considering we didn't have this power back in the day!) and still is done.
    I've done way too many tests over the years to choose otherwise.
    But be my guest; do the experiments yourself and see.

11. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

...oh, and do a mixdown to your 2buss, and then master that stereo file in a new project/session. Rather than mastering a huge project with loads of live tracks and plugins happening. Just saying.
    It's 'The Way'. :bow:

12. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

So even if the midi is perfectly aligned to the grid, there could be issues if I don't print it to an audio track?
    I admit I need to print more tracks to audio, as I don't do that much.

How much tighter could the music get if I have midi tracks that are perfectly aligned to the grid?
    Sounds interesting.