VST Grouped as Drum Rack, Return Sends

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lepow, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Lepow

Lepow Producer

@ ableton-heads

Wassup with you all?

Guys, i got this Drumazon grouped as a Drum Rack, it's multiple outputs are running into separate audio tracks. (as the single drumazon output would let me in the same way, making impossible to eq them apart, as we dont eq the kick the same way we eq the hats for example)

i was trying to make it sensible to internal drum rack return chains. (as pictured)
    The internal chain Kick PA, SSL Comp, are not being processed.

[​IMG]

Even tried to map different Receive/Play Notes..... bummer.

is it possible? there are a trick or hack, or just not possible as if it was a REAL drum rack with samples and stuff... not a vst tricked as a drum rack.

thanks!

3. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

It's impossible, but you can do following:
    - create 3 new audio tracks to receive signal from drum rack effects as the ones you create to receive signal from each of drum sections.

A longer explanation:
    In audio tracks you can set incoming audio signal (receive) from drum rack as:
    1) complete drum rack master out (inputs and sends) / pre fx / post fx
    2) individual chain outs (inputs) pre fx / post fx
    3) individual chain outs (sends) pre fx / post fx

4. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Logical thinking would be: ok why I then have 2) individual chain outs (inputs) pre and post fx?
    Not tried, but I believe this pre and post fx mean - capture audio before or after internal chain effects!
    So you can have in one chain (instrument + audio effects)

5. Lepow

Lepow Producer

thanks for the response Nikon. i think this approach is not possible in the end, cause how would we get the audio processed back to the drum rack. In this "vst drum rack" i think just midi signals are sent, not the audio flow itself.

what i was trying to accomplish:

MASTER RETURN TRACKS: Used as Buses (receiving audio from the GROUPS, drum group, bass group.... ex) this output directly into MASTER CHANNEL. (No other track sending directly to the master, all tracks working as SENDS ONLY.)

ok

Now, the Drum Group (screenshot), it's a VST not a real drum rack. I think only the midi signal travels in there, not the audio itself, cause in Drumazon i set the output of kick to 2, snare to 3... and so on... so that's why i created audio tracks. IT has its group Sends but i think theyre not triggered cause the audio should be on the kick (orange color one) not the audio one (white color)

Attached Files:

6. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Never mind what is it. It's really simple. Sends are sends as on any console, and they are going only into master summing. If you replicate this scenario like:
    2 audio channels with sends to fx channel
    1 fx channel (aux)
    you have same thing at the end, you can't extract just signal from first audio track with send signal :) because fx channel has summing nature (signal comes from different sources)

7. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

So imagine Live drum rack as small mixer with channels (chains) and fx channels + master output

8. Lepow

Lepow Producer

theres a chance i'm not expressing myself properly because of language (sorry for my unorthodox english)

but i'll try here, exporting the audio from that drumazon project, and then reassembling again the same "console layout" but this time using a custom drum rack with audio samples exported from the first project.

i'll write back
    audio routing limitations can't hold me back. :)