VST alternatives to M4L modulators?

Discussion in 'Live' started by gimmechords, Mar 21, 2022.

1. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

So I came across this m4l plugin: https://k-devices.com/products/modulators21/

Which looks like it adds a lot of functionality to Ableton live bringing it closer to bitwig in terms of modulation options.

I use Ableton Live standard, so I don't have m4l. Is there a vst I can use to do what that m4l device does in ableton?

Of course I can find a way to use that m4l device, but lets assume I'm not as resourceful.

3. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

The first one that comes to my mind is the ShaperBox bundle from Cableguys. I haven't checked all of the modulators from the website you linked to, but I think ShaperBox can do most of it at least.

4. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

No since they don't have access to Ableton's API

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Haven't confirmed that. But if it's the case, meaning can modify MIDI/audio on the whole track, then no VST can do that.
    Even the ARA standard doesn't allow MIDI, to my disappointment...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

I have used Shaperbox, its a great plugin, but how could I use shaperbox to turn a dial of another vst on another track?

I guess that is the case. Alright.
    Would you guys say that this is the case for all DAWs or is it specific to live because of how its API works?

7. MaximalMinimal

MaximalMinimal Ultrasonic

Bitwig Studio :guru:

8. Willum

Willum Rock Star

9. arbuckle

arbuckle Ultrasonic

In REAPER you can use any modulator which has MIDI-out to control any parameter of any instrument of effect. I often use LFO Tool in this way (in it's 'modulate an external parameter' mode, rather than 'apply volume and filter automation to an envelope' mode). Dedicated modulation plugins include Melda's MCCGenerator and Dialog Audio's Modulation Processor -- both of which send 14-bit high resolution MIDI -- but you can use anything that has the right outs. Reaktor and Reason Rack have some great modulation possibilities. You can also use audio modulation (a different, kloodgier approach) to modulate using the LFOs/envelopes of pretty much any soft synth (I think someone posted a while back on this forum about how to do this with Vital).

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

He is using Abelton Live

11. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Maybe upgrading might be the easiest way

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Modulators21 /// Trailer

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  13. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Best Answer
    Both have nothing to do with what OP wants. At the current state of plugin specifications and DAWs, you either need M4L, another DAW, or to use plugins which have modulation built in. There's no way to transfer data (such as modulation) between different instances of a plugin, let alone different tracks, because there's no agreed way for everyone to do it. The only method is if you're developing plugins that are compatible with itself only, that's how you see things like iZotope and Console 1 know about the other tracks you have the plugin on. But they do it by having the plugin sneakily talk to the other instance, outside official spec. Can't expect any other plugin to understand that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thanks @Qrchack for the valuable information. I have deleted my post.

15. arbuckle

arbuckle Ultrasonic

She/he was asking if other DAWs had the same limitations or if it was a non-M4L Live thing.

Of the DAWs I've used, Bitwig is the strongest for free-ranging modulation (with REAPER not as far behind as it looks, once you know what you're doing) and Studio One is by far the worst, it has very limited modulation and routing options, such that you can't even use certain vocoders, like Arturias, in S1 because audio can't be sent to an instrument. I loved a lot about Studio One but it is still super-limiting in many ways for electronic music.

Ableton Live Suite is really slick for modulation but the non-M4L Standard version sounds pretty crippled, if you don't have the routing flexibilty to use external signal paths or VSTs to modulate.

16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

He wrote :
    But I see what you are saying. I was refering to the first question. anyways peace

17. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

if its in gen~ done you can make inofficial VST3 plugin out of that. But i doubt k-devices has used gen~.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  18. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

I'm going to try out cubase and reaper and see how I can work with them. I also have the 8 track bitwig, so I'll see if I can work with the 8 track limit.
    Truth be told I've been looking for something for mixing, because while I love working with ableton I find it a little limiting when it comes to spacing out sounds in the way I want.

19. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

thats the best way to find out. I am stuck between Logic and Studio One :) Both have features I like but neither is complete

20. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

The harder limit to deal with with Bitwig 8-track is the 2 vsts per project maximum, not per track, per project.

21. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I thought you could do that in Ableton as well :unsure: I've only used the built-in synths/tools in Ableton for modulation so I hadn't thought about it.