VST 2 or VST 3 – what is the difference and which is better?

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by BEAT16, Apr 2, 2022.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

3. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

For me, the one being installed where I told it to is the best one.
    I don't like some Andies deciding how software on my PC should be organized.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

If you take a look at your "C:\Program Files\Common Files" directory, it quickly becomes clear that every manufacturer does what they want and the dream of a single VST3 folder remains a pipe dream. As always, one can not and could not agree. Quite a chaos on the hard disk.
    At the latest when you want to install something, you notice the chaos.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Triphammer

Triphammer Producer

I also VASTLY prefer to put my plugins in the folder of my choice and organize them in a way that best suits
    my own personal workflow. Unfortunately, it appears that, like it or not, VST3 is slowly being forced on
    us. Some devs only produce VST3 versions now and "Big Daddy" Steinie is trying to force the issue.
    Like subscription only software and other such "niceties" Big Tech doesn't give a rat's behind about customers.
    They look at us only as revenue streams and, by way of our data, they are thinking of US as THEIR commodity.

It sucks but what can we do? I've yet to see any REAL reason for me to WANT to switch entirely to VST3.
    "They" claim there are advantages from a tech standpoint......maybe there are. But in practice, I see nothing
    but inconvenience. In any case I'm using some....because they have no VST2 equivalent, but also just to get
    used to it. Because I know that one day I will not be able to choose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

When I have the choice to install VST3, I always choose VST3.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

In Windows 7 all vst3 are installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Vst3, always. Idk what chaos you´re talking about.

8. Sauce Cause

Sauce Cause Member

VST & VST2 are effectively now defunct... VST3 isn't yet completely stable, but with each new developer utilizing it as a sole choice & testing it's boundaries, it grows more stable(ish). Sadly you have no choice, the forced era of VST3 is now upon us all. No more organized folders, back to the olden times of none conformed file structure chaos. Yay... :dunno:

Edit: Symlink fucking everything!!!:guru: :rofl:

9. Hamudi2000

Hamudi2000 Ultrasonic

Sidechaining, multichannel operation and the ability to not using CPyi cycles when there is no audio to process are some of the many advantages of VST3.

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

What is an actual benefit of using VST2 plugins now? PC housekeeping aside, meaning directory structures or anything like that. Developer not making vst3, etc.

I use AU in all cases, unless I want the S49/KK to see them (so no need to get super elaborate answering)

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

thats the most annoying thing about VST3 and that stuff is not possible to be orginazed how you want it in a clean folder structure like it used to be.

Or 3 plugins in one VST3 file :snuffy: and you have to select, whenever you open, which one to choose. Stupid.

12. vstdeep

vstdeep Kapellmeister

I pull all my vst3 files into my vst2 folders so they are together. If I need space ill move the vst2 versions to a special folder on another drive.

13. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

A few vendors ask for a path to install their VST3 to. This is not intended because all VST3 should reside in fix paths by default.
    For me as well. I don't like a mess in my PC and I'm a control freak on my machine. :yes:

So I deleted the standard path and made a new directory (for VST as well btw) and point to it with a symbolic link.
    It's that easy to always know where VST and VST3 plugins are. And I can maintain my sort of sorting

14. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

At least in Ableton VST3 is a BIG mess! :snuffy: Everything legit VST3s are sorted by manufacturer and I have:

- Native Instruments (manufacturer): all their VST3s including instruments (Massive, Massive X,..)
    - Native Instruments GmbH (other manufacturer ????): Super8. Thats it!!!! One fucking plugin!!!!!

same for iZotope (iZotope vs iZotope Inc.). I don want a "folder" Valhalla DSP LLC...

Don't get me started when they (will) "sort" plugins for me into categories. We have more and more plugins that don't fit in any rational category... will there be a new category "More than just an EQ" for eg SplitEQ..?

This is retarded! Fuck the fucking fuckers! Some ppl want Instruments/FX, other want 100s of categories. I don't even care where on the disk the plugs reside, I just want to have them in (my) order in my DAW.

And I know, there is nothing to do about it. And if someone knows a solution to at least have plugins from the same manufacturer in ONE fucking folder in Ableton, I'll be glad to admit that I'm the retard! (I'm doing .vstpresets meanwhile)

/rant over

15. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I usually choose VST2, even if there is VST3 available, because I don't see many differences.

For anyone complaining about the Win Common default installation folder, you can cut (or copy) *.vst3 files and paste them even in the VST2 scan folders/subfolders, they'll work.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2022
  16. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

That's always been the way Ableton has been for AU format as well. I thought they were making inroads on that, and there were workarounds etc.... but yeah.. can be clunky as fuck.

17. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

yes we know that, but it doesnt nothing to organization, its still organized by developer and not for example Synth and FX like it was possible for VST2 by folder structure, its so annoying! And i am not talking specific about Ableton here, its annoying Reaper for example too.

18. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

1.jpg 2.jpg In Reaper you can order your vst´s from inside the FX´s Options, create the folders you want, etc. Vst2 and 3 together, no problem.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

i went fully with vst3 2 years ago, never had a glitch

20. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Yes you can (you turned off all auto). Other DAWs have some sort of view customization too..

The point is - with a switch to a shiny new format you/we suddenly have to start working on plugin sorting/display.. which in theory should be an automated process. If the theory does not work (which is the case), then at least they should leave it like it was.

Reaper now thinks classic Ample Guitar or BBCSO is a synth.. just like Massive or Vital. Well, I don't. Ofc, it's not Reaper's fault..

21. demberto

demberto Rock Star

Program Files/Common Files/VST3 is no longer the only location a VST3 can be.

VST 3 Plugin Locations

.vst3 as a single DLL was deprecated long ago in 3.6.10. It should be a bundle (folder on Windows).

VST3 Plugin Structure